exported battles from FOG empire on steam deck

nikossaiz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

exported battles from FOG empire on steam deck

Post by nikossaiz »

Steam say that empires is unsupported on steamdeck. I can verify that it plays quite well ( especially with trackpads and good key biddings, though the ui cannot not be upscaled so its a little difficult to read) with the only functionality that i see not working to be exporting battles to fog2. Fog2 plays also well ( great i would say ) on steamdeck, so would it be a way to have connectivity between the two on steamdeck on the future or via manual instructions?? I play the GOG version so moding files wouldnt mind anyone.

Ps in case anybody is wondering why the f i want to play those games on a 7" handheld is because i recently become a father so steamdeck is the only way to play in general.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: exported battles from FOG empire on steam deck

Post by zakblood »

congratulations on become a dad
nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

zakblood wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:56 pm congratulations on become a dad
Thank you zakblood! Having a child must be the more magnificent and masochistic thing in the world ( with second perhaps being playing strategies on steamdeck:)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

[All this is hypothetical, I am still waiting on my Deck dev kit]

OK - from what I know each game's Documents folder lives under ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/<app-id>/pfx/ In theory you will need to create corresponding folders in the other games Documents/My Games folder (so in each game's My Games folder you would have both a FieldOfGlory2 and a FieldOfGloryEmpires folder). [Steam Deck sandboxes all the games local data.] I think the appids are 1011390 for Empires, 660160 for FoG2.

Then, when you export from Empires you will need to copy the SAVES/AgeodBattleData.txt file (from the Empires pfx/.../FieldOfGloryEmpires folder) across to the corresponding folder in the FoG2 pfx/... /FieldOfGloryEmpires/ folder. This should let you play the battle in FoG2. Then, after the battle concludes, you will need to copy the SAVES/AGEODBattleResults.txt file from the FieldOfGlory2 folder into the corresponding FieldOfGlory2 folder in the Empires pfx folder.

Ah - you may also need to copy across the OPTIONS.TXT files from the original folders into the corresponding 'dummy' folders too, to allow the games to know that the other games are installed. This should be done after you have run each game at least once.

This in theory should allow the exporting of battles to work. You may need to tinker around with it a little if you run into any problems.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

Hello PIP,
All this is hypothetical
actually it work. I play the GOG version of both games on steamdeck ( i bought them also on steam to be sure for compatibillity, but all the DLCs are on the GOG versions so i play those ) and the same PFX directories apply on it too.
So , now we have the option to export the battle from empires to FOG2. obviously the " copy this , copy that, copy this etc" isnt a viable solution, since its quite tiredsome and time consuming from one hand and from another it prohibits you from playing on steamdecks game OS ( witch preserve all the key biddings, customizations etc ) . Also one time that i manage to make it work just for the sake of it , i had to manually open one game, close it , open the other. Non of the automatical way we have on windows ( a think that some guys found it time consuming ! )

Hope for the full interaction of the games in the future! please inform us when you manage to do so!
nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

do we have any update on this?
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

nikossaiz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:36 am Hello PIP,
All this is hypothetical
actually it work. I play the GOG version of both games on steamdeck ( i bought them also on steam to be sure for compatibillity, but all the DLCs are on the GOG versions so i play those ) and the same PFX directories apply on it too.
So , now we have the option to export the battle from empires to FOG2. obviously the " copy this , copy that, copy this etc" isnt a viable solution, since its quite tiredsome and time consuming from one hand and from another it prohibits you from playing on steamdecks game OS ( witch preserve all the key biddings, customizations etc ) . Also one time that i manage to make it work just for the sake of it , i had to manually open one game, close it , open the other. Non of the automatical way we have on windows ( a think that some guys found it time consuming ! )

Hope for the full interaction of the games in the future! please inform us when you manage to do so!
Hmm, couldn't you just write a simple windows batch file do all the tiresome file transfers? I did that many years ago for another game I played and hosted.

I'm not a steamdeck user nor empire player, just happened across this.

Regards,

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

Hmm, couldn't you just write a simple windows batch file do all the tiresome file transfers?
i believe this is the way it works on windows. If anybody ( i'm lookin at you developers :) can make such a banch for steamdeck, then would be easier to just alter the individual install addresses and enjoy the game (s) .
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

In Windows the games can look in shared folders so there is no need for file transfers. The Steamdeck (quite reasonably) sandboxes games from one another. I don't think running (e.g.) a bash script is especially simple on the deck either.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

ok, so then, no expactations for a future solution i suppose.and think that i double bought both FOG empire and field of glory 2 first on GOG and then on steam for this reason.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”