orb formation

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

zeitoun
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

orb formation

Post by zeitoun »

Hi ,

Can a BG with 2 bases (triarii for example) be in "ORB formation" ? Is there a minimum of bases to form ORB ?

Thanks
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Yes it can. No there isn't.
zeitoun
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by zeitoun »

thanks !!!
sagji
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by sagji »

The rules don't give a specific limit - however they use the phrase "It is depicted by contracting the battle group to 2 files wide, and turning at least half the battle group's ranks to face the rear."

The implication of this is that it must start 3 or 4 files wide, and have at least 2 ranks when 2 wide - otherwise you would depict it by turning the entire BG round.

So I would say you need a minimum of 3 base.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

1 base faces forwards and one backwards.

Indeed when in the zone of enemy and more than 2 bases wide it may not form orb as it is not allowed to contract.

I think this was a case of the rules writers not using 50 words when 10 would do. Turn 1 Base of a 2 base BG backwards and its in orb in my opinion. if it passes cmt to do so
DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho »

philqw78 wrote:1 base faces forwards and one backwards.

Indeed when in the zone of enemy and more than 2 bases wide it may not form orb as it is not allowed to contract.

I think this was a case of the rules writers not using 50 words when 10 would do. Turn 1 Base of a 2 base BG backwards and its in orb in my opinion. if it passes cmt to do so
I don't have the rules on hand, but wouldn't it be pointless having a BG of 2 bases in orb? Don't you count only 1/4 of the bases fighting in all directions, in other words 1/2 a base if only 2 bases, and thus get no dice? I suppose it would round up to 1 dice!
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)
rich0101
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by rich0101 »

I think he would get 2 dice, because I don't think you can be reduced to no dice.
nickandmatt
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by nickandmatt »

Whilst on the subject of Orb Formation, I've got two questions.

1) I assuming any spear/pike armed HF BGs can form Orb?

2) Can multiple BGs in orb still form a Battleline?
sagji

Post by sagji »

philqw78 wrote:1 base faces forwards and one backwards.

And also that if it is more than 4 wide, or less that 3 wide, it can't form orb at all.
Except the rules say it is depicted by contracting to two bases wide, and at least half the ranks are turned to face the rear.

It doesn't say "by being 2 bases wide", or even as you appear to be assuming "by being no more than 2 bases wide"[/b]
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

sagji wrote:And also that if it is more than 4 wide, or less that 3 wide, it can't form orb at all.
Why can it not when more than 4 wide? It is forming orb as a CMT not Contracting.
sagi wrote:Except the rules say it is depicted by contracting to two bases wide, and at least half the ranks are turned to face the rear.

It doesn't say "by being 2 bases wide", or even as you appear to be assuming "by being no more than 2 bases wide"[/b]
So you are saying the intention was that a 2 base wide 4 deep BG cannot form orb as it does not contract?

I think we may need an erratta here.
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

IMO a formation that is already 2 wide can form orb and a wider formation can reduce to 2 wide and form orb.

A BG of 2 bases cannot form Orb as an orb is by definition 2 wide.

I can see the argument that a BG that starts 2 wide cannot form orb because of the use of contract in the description but IMO that is a DBMM level of literalism and it is just plain silly to say that a BG that starts 2 wide cannot go into orb.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

learn something new everyday. I had never noticed you need to be 2 wide. So a column cannot form orb. Interesting.

I suspect i will need the Orb rules for the first time tonight as I face Mongols with protected spear.
LambertSimnel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by LambertSimnel »

hammy wrote:IMO a formation that is already 2 wide can form orb and a wider formation can reduce to 2 wide and form orb.

I can see the argument that a BG that starts 2 wide cannot form orb because of the use of contract in the description but IMO that is a DBMM level of literalism and it is just plain silly to say that a BG that starts 2 wide cannot go into orb.
Also, the image on p122 of the rule book shows a 2-wide BG forming orb.
zeitoun
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by zeitoun »

So, a BG whith less than 4 bases can't form ORB , because he can't be in two wide formation, but why a BG of 6 bases in column can't expand in two wide to form ORB ? Or turn to form an ORB ? THe contraction is only necessary when the BGH is more than 2 wides ....

And what happen if a BG whith 4 bases loose one base ? How do you reform the BG ?
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

hammy wrote:IMO a formation that is already 2 wide can form orb and a wider formation can reduce to 2 wide and form orb.

But a BG with 2 bases can be 2 wide. 1 base faces forwards, 1 backwards. Nothing wrong with that is there?
sagji

Post by sagji »

philqw78 wrote:
sagji wrote:And also that if it is more than 4 wide, or less that 3 wide, it can't form orb at all.
Why can it not when more than 4 wide? It is forming orb as a CMT not Contracting.
Because the rules explicitly say "A BG can only form ORB if it starts no more than 4 files wide." (p122 end of left column)
sagi wrote:Except the rules say it is depicted by contracting to two bases wide, and at least half the ranks are turned to face the rear.

So you are saying the intention was that a 2 base wide 4 deep BG cannot form orb as it does not contract?

I think we may need an erratta here.
I can't say what the intention was, but the wording used says that can't.
sagji

Post by sagji »

philqw78 wrote:

But a BG with 2 bases can be 2 wide. 1 base faces forwards, 1 backwards. Nothing wrong with that is there?
Yes - you turn at least 1/2 the ranks not at least 1/2 the bases.
MCollett
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MCollett »

sagji wrote:
philqw78 wrote:
hammy wrote:A BG of 2 bases cannot form Orb as an orb is by definition 2 wide.
Yes - you turn at least 1/2 the ranks not at least 1/2 the bases.
Fine. You have one rank, so you turn it; 1 is at least half of 1. It fights with 1/2 rounded up to 1 base in any direction.

Best wishes,
Matthew
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

All very interesting .... but suggest you all simply read the orb bit in the FAQ/ already on this forum.
Can Orb be formed in a restricted area?
Yes and no. You cannot contract in a restricted area, but you can turn. When forming Orb you contract to 2 wide if not already 2 wide. So you can form Orb in a restricted area if you are already 2 wide and do not need to contract. You cannot form Orb if wider.
Rationale: If you are already in the right formation all you are doing is turning spear points outwards, but to engage in a big contraction just in front of the enemy would be rather dangerous.
Indeed you have to contract to 2 bases to form orb.

You can't contract in an RA so need to be 2 base width already to do it, reflecting complexity thereof when near to enemy.

Outside an RA you can do it from 4 bases wide.

Si
Simon Hall
"May your dice roll 6s (unless ye be poor)"
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

So, can a 2 base BG form orb? Does it have to be 2 wide? If so does it just turn 1 base to rear? What it you are 1 base wide?

Return to “Rules Questions”