Take your chance as Julius Caesar and conquer Gaul and beyond and also take control over the Roman world as its first emperor. Or defend the republic as the Roman Senate, while at the same time expand Roman territories. Or why not play as one of Rome's enemies (Parthia, et al) and push the Roman legions back to Italy. Finally, you can later on in the mod take command as Marcus Licinius Crassus and avenge the historical defeat at Carrhae!
The political situation at start
This is a total conversion single-player mod (currently at version 0.9 so more or less completed) focusing on the First Triumvirate and Caesar's Gallic Wars, starting in 58 BCE and lasting for a rough 25 years. It is aimed to constitute the scene for battles in Field of Glory 2: Ancients and thus all battles are expected (but not required) to be exported there.
- At start, only Caesar will be available as playable faction of the three triumvirs, since Pompeius and Crassus haven't yet received their provincial commands. That will sooner or later change after a number of turns, however...
- Once the other two triumvirs appear on the map as well, the peace between the Roman factions will continue for another three years, a situation that will reassessed every three years thereafter, and either extended again, or breaking down into full-blown civil war.
- Roman factions cannot enter peace or declare war with each other; they must be at peace before the triumvirate breaks down, and then they’ll be constantly at war until only one Roman faction remains.
- Four turns per year, with each fourth turn being winter and the other three campaign seasons.
- Roman factions now have an additional national modifier and suffer no war exhaustion (since almost constantly at (civil) war).
- Roman factions take each other’s regions already while at war.
- Reduced structure system, with fewer structures that can be built and almost none that can be disassembled, so need to choose structures carefully once the opportunity arises in the reshuffling.
- Changed available units: no mercenaries, for example, to be much more limited and have also adapted available units to FoG2 army lists. (have amended which units to be exported to FoG2 battles, to match those army lists).
- Lieges take vassals’ conquered regions.
- Roman AI lieges absorb neighbouring vassals from time to time.
- Roman factions move their capitals to Latium and Roma when they control that region.
- If, once civil war has erupted, one Roman faction is sufficiently much larger than another Roman faction (3x, 2.5x, 2x, decreasing over time) and has conquered at least one of the other faction's regions, it will absorb that smaller Roman faction (as part of the civil war).
- Roman factions use two forms of legions: Legion and Italian Legion. The latter can only be raised in the Italian provinces and require a Large Legion Camp, the Campus Martius, or an Emperor Palace. Furthermore, Velites and Alae have become obsolete and removed from play.
Many thanks to Pocus for his immense help and advice on making this mod work and keeping me on the right route.
Download and instructions
Download of latest version (v0.9 for FoGE v1.3.9) from my Google Drive, available HERE (z58BCFirstTriumvirate_v139_20221114_2236.7z).
Remove any earlier versions of the mod (folder and files) and then unzip this download file and place the unzipped folder and its files in the SCENARIOS folder of FieldOfGloryEmpires, under Documents/My Games/.
Under Options, in the upper left corner of the main screen, please make sure to uncheck 'Historical Names for Armies'!