Vikings

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Bitesyurr
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Vikings

Post by Bitesyurr »

New to FoG - just 1 sample game under my belt. A couple of friends and I have decided to collect to armies from "Wolves of the sea" in 28mm, starting initially at 400points. The others are going to be Saxons, Rus and more Vikings

What I was thinking of getting is this:
CinC - Field Commander
Subordinate troop commander
2 BG of 6 Hird - one with 3 archers
3 BG of 6 Bondi
1 BG of 6 archers
(403 points)
For this size of force is the troop commander worth it, or would I be better off swapping him for something else, such as the fortified camp and a couple more archers?

For the future I was either:
CinC - Field Commander
2 Subordinate troop commander
2 BG of 6 Hird with 3 archers
1 BG 4 Mounted Hird,
3 BG of 6 Bondi
1 BG of 8 Bondi
1 BG of 6 archers
Fortified camp
(600pts)

or
CinC - Field Commander
2 Subordinate troop commander
3 BG of 6 Hird with 3 archers
4 BG of 6 Bondi
1 BG of 6 archers
Fortified camp
(594pts)
Any comments gratefully received.
Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda »

You may be overgeneralizing here.

Consider knocking the FC down to a TC and add some stands to a BG, perhaps even drop the FC and add a unit.

Play some games and see how they work out. Trading generals for more stands is a fine art. So far I have run out of units more often than I have run out of generals, but then I am a very poor player.
BlackPrince
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by BlackPrince »

Unless you are planning to flank march some of your BGs I would reduce the FC to a TC, I think for your style of army a FC does give you any advantages for the extra cost.

Fortified camp -why? Your opponents are similar armies to you, mostly heavy foot and shieldwalls if the enemy get to your camp then your shieldwall has gone "tits up" so your opponent is unlikely to get to your before your army breaks.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

I would suggest trying it with FC and TC for a couple of games and seeing how it goes. In 28mm, his 8MU reach could be handy for getting second moves with a whole battle line. I'd say even at 400 points you'll want 2 generals - otherwise you'll be really struggle to manouver close to the enemy.

with more points available, making the spear armed BGs up to eights will be handy. Two ranks of three and one of two will allow for reserves as casualties mount - spears really aren't very good in a single rank.
Loewenherz

Post by Loewenherz »

Hallo Bitesyurr,

I think there is a little error in your lists. In a Bondi BG there must be 8-9 bases.

Return to “Army Design”