Dwarf army adaptation

This is a forum for discussing the use of the Field of Glory gaming system to play fantasy battles. This is not an official product! yet ;)

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core

Ranimiro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Dwarf army adaptation

Post by Ranimiro »

First of all I should apologise for my english, having said that:

Dwarves (Adaptation of the Dwarf Army from WHF to FoG)

Special rules:

Dwarves*

All dwarf units are HEAVY INFANTRY but they have movement 2MU instead of 3UM. Dwarf units treat mountainous terrain as 1 level less of difficulty, for
example, BROKENGROUND (UNEVEN) as OPEN, GULLY (ROUGH) as UNEVEN and STEEP HILL (DIFFICULT) as ROUGH. Dwarf rangers treat mountainous terrain as 2 level less of difficulty, for example STEEP HILL (DIFFICULT) as UNEVEN, beside that rangers treat all other terrain as 1 level less of difficulty (including FOREST and SWAMP)

Dwarf units can always DOUBLE MOVE, in any situation, as long as they are in command range of a COMMANDER.

Dwarf units always have a +1 for all tests (except DEATH ROLLS)

The cost of this rule is equivalent to that of PORTABLE DEFENSES (+3pts per base) and is already included in the army list.

Explorers**

Units with this rule can deploy in AMBUSH is terrain elements that do not provoke DISORDER in them, the cost of this rule is (+1pt per base) and is already included in the army list.

Miners***

Units with this rule can perfom OUTFLANK MARCHES counting as groups of LIGHT INFANTRY lead by a FIELD COMMANDER, the cost of this rule is (+1pt per base) and is already included in the army list.

Slayer oath****

Units with this rule do not take COHESION TESTS and they fight untill the last base (NO autobreak), but their cost is that of a HEAVILY ARMORED unit with the same profile. Can NOT be joined by a commander or used the presence of a commander to take COMPLEX MOVE TEST, but it can for part of a BATTLE LINE for ADVANCES. They also count as SHOCK TROOPS although their profile does not correspond to a characteristic SHOCK infantry unit.

Artillery*****: Artillery ranges should be multiplied by 2.

Army List

Warriors: Dwarves*, superior, armoured, drilled (14pts) 4-6 12+

Longbeards: Dwarves*, elite, armored, drilled (17pts) 4-6 0-12

Hammerers: Dwarves*, superior, armored, drilled, heavy weapon (16pts) 4-6 0-8

Ironbreakers: Dwarves*, superior, heavily armured, drilled (17pts) 4-6 0-8

Thunderers: Dwarves*, superior, protected, drilled, musket (salvo) (15pts) 4-6 12+

Rangers: Dwarves*, explorers**,superior, protected, drilled, crossbow, heavy weapon (15pts) 4-6 0-8

Miners: Dwarves*, miners***,superior, protected, drilled, impact foot (13pts) 4-6 0-8

Slayers: Dwarves*, slayer oath****, elite, unprotected, undrilled, heavy weapon (20pts) 2-4 0-4

Artillery****
Heavy (canons): (20pts) 2-4 0-4
Ligth (bolt throwers): (15pts) 2-4 0-4

Dwarf Engineer: His cost is that of an allied TROOP COMMANDER (25pts), He can only join artillery groups. He improves the quality of the artillery unit he joins to SUPERIOR.

Design notes:

Troop quality comes from a combination of WS and the standard high Leadership of Dwarves.
WS4 (SUPERIOR)
WS5 (ELITE)

There are no Sw in the dwarf army as this status should be reserved for WS4 or WS5 units, but with higher INITIATIVE (elven or Chaos warriors units as an
example)

The rest of the units have other kind of equipment that accounts for the rules applied (for example thunderers)

Degree of protection comes from a combination of type of armor and the characteristis dwarf resilence.

no armor (special case of the SLAYERS) (UNPROTECTED)
light armor + shield or heavy armor (PROTECTED)
heavy armour + shield or mithril armor (ARMORED)
mithril armor + shield (HEAVILY ARMORED)

This scale is the same used for humans, because I assume that the extra TOUGHNESS of dwarves is compensated by their low INITIATIVE, wich makes them easier targets to hit.

Musket and salvo rules and their cost are taken from FoG-R version 12.01. It´s final form and cost will be updated when I get the new book.
Last edited by Ranimiro on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zellak
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by zellak »

Artillery range.

Can i suggest you double its long range but keep its effective range the same.
And allow heavy artillery to pivot on its center, as it cannot move.

Converting rules

I dont play WFB, but why try to copy so many special rules from the original ?

Do they make the game any better as you try to remember all the exceptions ?

Having said that.....i hope you have fun testing them. :) (and post some pictures)
Come and Trade your D&D miniatures at ukroleplayers.com
BeansNFranks

Post by BeansNFranks »

zellak wrote:Artillery range.

Can i suggest you double its long range but keep its effective range the same.
And allow heavy artillery to pivot on its center, as it cannot move.

Converting rules

I dont play WFB, but why try to copy so many special rules from the original ?

Do they make the game any better as you try to remember all the exceptions ?

Having said that.....i hope you have fun testing them. :) (and post some pictures)
I agree there are way to many special rules, which just doesn't seem "FoGgy" to me. Really don't think they need all that. It's basically just a heavy foot army. Also really think dwarf warriors should be average, with maybe a small # being able to superior.
Ranimiro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ranimiro »

the special rules are there to give "dwarf" flavor (it does not sound good, doesn´t it?)

Without that that rules it would be (as you said) just a heavy infantry army. Two of the rules (explorers and miners are there to compensate a bit for the absolute lack of cavalry and fast moving infantry) The Main rule DWARVES tries to give and edge between "normal" SUPERIOR and ELITE troops and a SUPERIOR dwarvish troops, wich is not that much better in combat, but is more resolute and stubborn than humans, but also hinder a bit their movemente (in WHF they are the slowest army)

The slayer oath rue is there for fun, it can be easily be removed, same with the engineer rule.

And by the way I dont think that "the average dwarf" should be AVERAGE either if you take them from LoTR or GW background, unless you are planning to fight a dwarf against dwarf battle exclusively. Also it could lead to "horde" dwarvish armies.
BeansNFranks

Post by BeansNFranks »

Ranimiro wrote:the special rules are there to give "dwarf" flavor (it does not sound good, doesn´t it?)

Without that that rules it would be (as you said) just a heavy infantry army. Two of the rules (explorers and miners are there to compensate a bit for the absolute lack of cavalry and fast moving infantry) The Main rule DWARVES tries to give and edge between "normal" SUPERIOR and ELITE troops and a SUPERIOR dwarvish troops, wich is not that much better in combat, but is more resolute and stubborn than humans, but also hinder a bit their movemente (in WHF they are the slowest army)

The slayer oath rue is there for fun, it can be easily be removed, same with the engineer rule.

And by the way I dont think that "the average dwarf" should be AVERAGE either if you take them from LoTR or GW background, unless you are planning to fight a dwarf against dwarf battle exclusively. Also it could lead to "horde" dwarvish armies.
Very few FoG lists have special rules and are still able to maintain the "flavour" of their lists though. My Romans don't feel less Romans without some special rules.

Not having cavalry is a built in disadvantage the list has always had though.

I'm not all for any units that are completely unbreakable.
willb
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by willb »

I would have to agree that the quality levels are too high and that there are too many special rules. I would make the dwarfs resistant to magic though.
There is also a dwarf army list for middle earth at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FoG_fantasy/
Ranimiro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ranimiro »

Well. I have change a bit the list based on some of your comments. Thank everyone. The special rules are still there as i have to "lure" some Warhammer players into FoG. I need them. (In fact I am not playing with dwarves, the list is made to fight against my Beastmen wich are posted in another thread)
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Dwarf army adaptation

Post by SirGarnet »

Pleased to see this. There is something to be said for Fantasy armies that fit within the vanilla rules, but it can be more fun and flavour to have well chosen modifications.

Some comments/questions

1. Double Move as if they had a commander with them in any situation, even within 6 MU of enemy? This makes them essentially Medium Foot for movement purposes (which might be a simpler way to think about it.

2. For the terrain ability, it seems more intuitive to me to say that the concept is that the terrain skill is in any terrain feature characterized by slope or rockiness than by its vegetation, or by water. So a Steep Hill would count, but not a wooded or brushy hill. A BUA would count - rather like fighting underground? - as would broken ground and a gully. So the Dwarf player might put down a different type of steep hill than his opponent.

Also, as Heavy Infantry, maybe the benefit should not be to treat the terrain as better but simply reduce disorder one level, so rough or difficult both go down from severe disorder to disorder.
Dwarf units always have a +1 for all tests (except DEATH ROLLS)
All tests? Including straggling? Or just CMT and CT?

Is this in addition to or instead of the Commander +1? This is more powerful than upgrading to Superior for rerolls, so essentially gives them the equivalent of a commander with the BG for tests, so they should not stack.
Explorers** Units with this rule can deploy in AMBUSH is terrain elements that do not provoke DISORDER in them, the cost of this rule is (+1pt per base) and is already included in the army list.
I assume within the normal ambush zones. Do visibility restrictions still apply, and are they treated as Light Foot?

Miners*** Units with this rule can perfom OUTFLANK MARCHES counting as groups of LIGHT INFANTRY lead by a FIELD COMMANDER, the cost of this rule is (+1pt per base) and is already included in the army list.

Not needing a commander with them seems quite a bargain, if they also double move. Is the intention to have the Dwarf army frequently flank marching single units?

Slayer oath****

Units with this rule do not take COHESION TESTS and they fight untill the last base (NO autobreak), but their cost is that of a HEAVILY ARMORED unit with the same profile. Can NOT be joined by a commander or used the presence of a commander to take COMPLEX MOVE TEST, but it can for part of a BATTLE LINE for ADVANCES. They also count as SHOCK TROOPS although their profile does not correspond to a characteristic SHOCK infantry unit.
Since the whole list is superior or better, the no-autobrak isn't too extreme.
Should this add that they must be unprotected to use this rule?
Treat as Shock troops under any rule referring to "Shock" or is there something more intended?
Artillery*****: Artillery ranges should be multiplied by 2.
Can't argue with that.

Degree of protection comes from a combination of type of armor and the characteristis dwarf resilence.
Indeed, one could argue they count as Protected at minimum in their street clothes due to physical ability (as might lizardmen types for natural armour).

This scale is the same used for humans, because I assume that the extra TOUGHNESS of dwarves is compensated by their low INITIATIVE, wich makes them easier targets to hit.
Does that mean they are clumsier, with less dexterity? Just curious.
Musket and salvo rules and their cost are taken from FoG-R version 12.01. It´s final form and cost will be updated when I get the new book.

FOGR is a whole different web of rules and effects. Best to express it in FOGAM terms by making them like a better firearm or crossbow. Can give armour less benefit against them and/or death roll advantages to represent their advantage against armoured troops.

I hope you post the list on Yahoo FoGFantasy as well. There is a files section for it.
Ranimiro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ranimiro »

Thanks Mike for reading the post in detail. I appreciate your comments. But I decided to test another set of rules for my fantasy games, because of the problems that arise from having to introduce that amount of special rules to FoG.

Maybe i will wait for FoG 2 and give it another try.
zellak

Post by zellak »

"Armies of Arcana " by any chance ?
Come and Trade your D&D miniatures at ukroleplayers.com

Return to “Field of Glory : Swords & Sorcery : General Discussion”