D-DAY SF Campaign : The Merville's Battery

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

D-DAY SF Campaign : The Merville's Battery

Post by Amaris »

Hi,

Here's my second scenario : the Merville's battery

Download : https://sites.google.com/site/bbcbaamaris/ (on my website)

Install : Unzip the Amaris_Missions.zip into the My Documents\My Games\BBCBA\Campaigns folder.

Lenght : ~10-20 ? turns

Missions : You must capture all bunkers for victory.

Force Selection :

Initial Start :

Comments, feedbacks and suggestions are welcome ;-)
Last edited by Amaris on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Holy hell.

This is not an easy mission.

EDIT

Alright, got it on the 2nd go. That is definitely a stubborn defense. Good mission, love the smaller platoon-level missions.
tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 »

Another great scenario - very bloody but I too got it on my second go. Well done! Looking forward to the next installment
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

Much appreciated!
DaveyJJ
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DaveyJJ »

Excellent work, Amaris! Thanks!
maximvs
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maximvs »

Very good scenario.

I made the mistake of picking the mortar team and not choosing the Bren carrier to move them! After the first few turns the enemy were all out of range! I got there in the end, but I'd not got many men left ...
CaptainSlow
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by CaptainSlow »

Thanks for your excellent work.
I thoroughly enjoyed Pegasus Bridge. This one is another blast. Bloody fight though.
I saw a video with an interview with Lt col Otway who lead the attack on the battery. After landing he was devoid of most men and equipment and had to attack with only a handful of men.

Looking forward to Mere Eglise!

thanks
CSlow
berndN
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by berndN »

Thanks a lot. Great fun and like Maximvs I did not choose the bren carrier to get my mortar close :)

Please add more scenarios :)
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

Thank you very much guys (and girls ? ;-) ) :oops:

I'm thinking about this for achivements to finalize it. Besides capturing bunkers within x turns (*), and losing - units of Y (**) I do not have much idea ... Suggestions?

(*) : in turn, how did you finish this scenario?
(**) : And with how many losses?

For the next scenario (St-Mere-Eglise) will have to wait a map will be large (64x64) and so it will take me quite some time ;-) For those interested, this is how I make the maps for the scenarios : https://sites.google.com/site/bbcbaamar ... king-a-map ; As you can imagine it still take quite some time ... Without even counting the distribution of forces and balancing the scenario :roll:
DaveyJJ

Post by DaveyJJ »

Amaris wrote:Thank you very much guys (and girls ? ;-) ) :oops:

I'm thinking about this for achivements to finalize it. Besides capturing bunkers within x turns (*), and losing - units of Y (**) I do not have much idea ... Suggestions?

(*) : in turn, how did you finish this scenario?
(**) : And with how many losses?

For the next scenario (St-Mere-Eglise) will have to wait a map will be large (64x64) and so it will take me quite some time ;-) For those interested, this is how I make the maps for the scenarios : https://sites.google.com/site/bbcbaamar ... king-a-map ; As you can imagine it still take quite some time ... Without even counting the distribution of forces and balancing the scenario :roll:
You use much the same technique that I do. I find regiment or smaller battle maps and histories for the scenario, aerial photos (of war time and current), force lists, and then grid out my map and recreate the actual terrain as best I can. I fudged Putot-en-bessin a bit in that the small river was behind the village a bit more, and there was no way I could recreate the very large open pit quarry just outside of town the Germans had a command post in, but tackle map making much the way you do. Great work.

P.S. A 64x64 map is a monster ... Good luck with that! It should be interesting to see the final result.
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

There is a grid and hex plugin for Paint.net if that helps anyone. The trick will be matching the map and grid to BA size.
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

DaveyJJ wrote:
P.S. A 64x64 map is a monster ... Good luck with that! It should be interesting to see the final result.
Rights, the preliminary work showed me that :!: :?

Also I'm afraid there's not enough action for a map as large... I think reducing the action only village St-Mere and its surroundings with a 32x32 or less map. Well, I will continue to do some tests before deciding on the final size while completing the other scenarios.
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

HI Amaris,

Have you considered doing a follow up on Pegasus Bridge to reinforce the men at the bridge with Lovat's commando's? Since you are doibg a themed special operations campaign that could be quite suitable and the map is already there ;-)

just a thought

CS
ggouveia
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by ggouveia »

Excelletn game. Well done.
TotalWar

Post by TotalWar »

Merville is really tough.
Ive tried it lots of times, and dont even get across the open ground. I get slaughtered on the left flank by the squads in the bunkers, and then in the centre, I get killed as soon as I reach the edge of the cornfield. I cant go right flank because of the German squad on the bottom right map edge that Ive never managed to kill.

Im sure Im doing something wrong, and there are tactics Im missing.

Helpful hints would be welcome.
maximvs

Post by maximvs »

SPOILER - (I've had most success by sending most of my troops up the left of the map, and attacking from the rear! )

As you say it's a death trap trying from the front.
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

Few hints :

- MGs have a long range compared with the paratroopers.

- Not going too far and concentrate fire on one target at a time for quick suppressing. Then go to the next.
Acererak

Post by Acererak »

My hints :

- As pointed out by Amaris, you need to plan your advance very carefully. Better chose just one avenue of advance, and better if you go for flank (I believe left since starting position is there) than right up front (sure death)

- Use some squads first to shoot at defensive positions affecting your chosen advance paths as much as possible to suppress the units there, then go ahead and avance with the rest of your squads available for final assault and elimination.

- Expect heavy casualties anyway, but dont go for suicide runs in open terrain. Set your base of fire positions in spots with some cover (tank traps can do) if possible, since they will attract the first opportunity fire for sure.

- Picking the mortar will help a lot to supress some positions in a safe and very effective way. The Bren Squads also great for this task. Use them wisely and always to support the rest of your squads advance.

Good luck!
TotalWar

Post by TotalWar »

I tried it again last night using the advice given.
I only lost the bren carrier, thats it!! Total success.

I'll try it again later to see if that was a fluke.

thanks
massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by massina_nz »

Just completed this scenario by using the Bren guns for long range suppression fire. Really enjoyed it, thanks for creating it.

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”