Shock troops PoA question

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Shock troops PoA question

Post by babyshark »

Do shock troops who receive a charge get to use their PoA when fighting? Or do they only count it when they are delivering a blow?

I can easily imagine that lancers, for instance, who are caught on the wrong foot (i.e. charged in the opponent's bound) would not get to take advantage of their PoA. On the other hand, this might put the rules in danger of DBMM-like over-reliance on such mechanisms.

Marc
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

Take all the POAs as written Mark. They are carefully designed so you don't need to deal with countercharges. Yes they get their POA and are assumed to counter charge. In practice you don't need a lot distance to get in a reasonable charge and the way wargames works abstracts to alternate bounds so one needs to be careful not to create unhistorical anomalies due to mechnaisms but rather work the other way around. So if the POA says "if charging" take that literally.

If caught on the hop by foot who are impact foot you will see the there is a POA + for the foot if the opposing mounted are non-shock. This repesents such a situation against mounted who would generally be uncomfortable being faced with such as situation. Romans managed it against the Sassanids IIRC.

Si
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Take all the POAs as written Mark. They are carefully designed so you don't need to deal with countercharges. Yes they get their POA and are assumed to counter charge..<cut>..So if the POA says "if charging" take that literally.
This just confused it more for me. Are troops assumed to countercharge, or take up their best tactical response, therefore getting an impact phase POA. Then let the dice decide if they did or didn't. Or do I only count charging POA when I charge in my own bound?

phil
shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall »

Sorry Phil. I do mean take it literally literally....

So the POAs for spears assume a counterhcarge vs foot and a stand and dig in vs mounted within them already. So only count a POA that say "if charging" if you yourself have done a charge to create the impact.

Without the play sheet handy....but from memory to give an example....

Impact Foot have a ++ vs foot in the impact phase. If you charged this assumes a charge. If you received this assumes a counterhcarge. But neither are worth the time to deal with in practice as they always happen so they are folded into the factors. Also as BGs are large quantities of troops under a junior general the dsitances one would need to move to adjust positions for this are not worth the effort of picking up and putting down the figures.

However....

Impact Foot are + if charging non-shock mounted. So in this case you get the plus only if you charged with your impact foot and caught some non-shock mounted thereby forcing combat. If you charge shock mounted you have to live without the +, so onyl a good idea if you get them at least DISR or FRAG.

Similarly troops who would not normally charge shock mounted have poor factors if they try to charge (defensive foot trying to charge) but good ones otherwise (defensive when they dig and take a charge). This works carefully with the shock troop rules where the shock mounted will tend to get carried away and launch themselves at you in due course. So imstead of charging the shock mounted you are waiting for them to charge you.

So throughout take all the factors literally ... if they don't say a circumstance then they always apply. If they state a circumstance - if charging or if entirely in the open - then the POA only applies if this specific circumstance applies to you. If is says charging it specfially means that you charged and it must therefore be your impact phase.

Cheers

Si

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”