AAR: davidjwest (Allies) vs Starshatter (Axis)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

davidjwest
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

AAR: davidjwest (Allies) vs Starshatter (Axis)

Post by davidjwest »

Hi, we're using the GS mod and both of us are relative newbies to the game so will make a lot of mistakes for the veterans to gnash their teeth over!

Typical start, Germany invades Poland while the Poles try in vain to stem the tide.
davidjwest

Post by davidjwest »

A Glorious Day!

Rarely have I seen the Fuhrer in such a fine mood as I relayed to him the news of our troops initial successes in recovering the land given away by the traitor generation who “lead” us in 1918!

Our scientists are hard at work working on supporting our panzer troops in their blitzkrieg techniques.

We declare war on Poland (which I am sure those untermensch would never have the honour to do so if the position was reversed). I note the hated Slav, with whom we have a “temporary” arrangement due to necessity have invaded from the East. The tide will turn, oh yes!

The lead troops are within sight of Warsaw, leaving the Posen Garrison cut off! Krakow has fallen and the people of Danzig are once against free! The Southern flank have not got the territorial gains expected, but have caused massive casualties on the fleeing Poles!

I have held Von Runstedt back for now to see how things develop. Let us hope the French remain their usual insular selves!

To bed, exhausted. How I wish I was sweeping along the East Prussian plains with my comrades!

Diary of Chief of Staff Garet von Duffelbag

September 21st

The next phase dawns. Himmler and the Fuhrer are once more huddled together talking about the “special project”. Anything involving that odious little man sets my teeth on edge. Hardly a Prussian. I wonder what they can mean, I suppose we will find out in due course.

The Posen garrison retreats causing temporary supply issues for our Panzers. However our increased scientific research enhances the performance of our infantry still further so we shall reap those rewards shortly. The meagre force breaking the chain is easily swept to one side.

The Southern flank continues to push for Lvov before the Slavs appear.

To the North, we continue to Warsaw, and make some headway against the garrison there. Sadly not enough to encircle the Poles left behind, that must wait till tomorrow.

I send the High seas fleet out for a raid. This may have been a tactical error, as those British fools appear to be guarding the Dutch coast!! The Valkyries are gathering.....

October 11th

Glorious day indeed! Warsaw has fallen just as those Bolsheviks come over the hills!

The Poles put up even less resistance than expected. Revenge for the knights of Teuton is ours! The Red menace is a concern, but I must turn my eyes Westward to better serve my fuehrer. I put all operations on hold as Warsaw falls, attempting to spare the men somewhat. I must marshall our forces.

The pressures of command! Do we turn our eyes West or North?

As expected, our High Seas fleet is now so much scrap steel. Steel we can ill afford to lose, sadly. The leader has had visitors from Romania and Hungary today – can another glorious campaign be opening up?

davidjwest

Post by davidjwest »

September 1st 1939

Poland:

It's been the worst kept secret in history but today the Nazi forces invaded Poland.

Krakow fell in the first few days as the dated Polish Army was unable to match the Wehrmacht might and the new "blitzkrieg" tactics employed by the enemy.

All we can hope to do is withdraw back towards Warsaw and try to delay the inevitable.

All along the line the Germans have broken through or pushed back the valiant Polish defenders as Danzig fell without a fight and only the border town of Poznan has been left untouched. At this rate the Nazi forces will be at the gates of Warsaw within days.

The Polish airforce made a glorious sortie against the enemy near Krakow, hitting a German Infantry division and taking down some of the superior Me109 fighters with them, but losses are high enough to cripple this squadron for any further part in the battle.

However, the German advance has been perhaps too fast as two of their armoured divisions are unsupported in their drive East - I have ordered the untouched Garrison Poznan infantry to move South-East with a coordinated move with the battered Armia Pomorze and between them they have succeeded in cutting the enemy supply lines.

I doubt this will trouble the Germans overmuch but perhaps it will slow them down for a day or two.

Elsewhere we try to organise a defense line around the capital while resupplying those units who are in a position to accept supplies.

France:

The war is almost upon us, a newly trained general is given command of the 7th Armee near Reims but all we can do at the moment is watch and wait for Poland's fate. After Poland falls as it surely will then the hammer will fall against France no doubt.

Britain:

We are in no shape to stand a German attack, preparations are made for the defence of the country as resources are diverted to help improve industrial output and the possibility of sending an expeditionary force to help the defence of France is contemplated.

The Royal Navy masses ready to repel any German attempts to move Westwards.

September 21st

Poland

Garrison Poznan was overwhelmed and the plan to cut off the German armour from their supplies has come to nought. Everywhere the Polish armies are falling back in disarray and the Armia Warszawa itself was attacked as it defended the capital. There is nothing to be done, every general has been given orders to hold as long as they can but the capital cannot hold much longer, the end is nigh for the brave Polish defenders.

France

The Italians cannot be trusted and so 3 French divisions are marching to setup defences on the borders, elsewhere the lines are drawn along the borders with Belgium and Germany.

Britain

The Royal Navy has struck a blow for freedom as a rather foolish German sortie has been intercepted near the Zuider Zee as one of their Battleships tried to break out of German home waters. Losses on our side were light but crucially a destroyer was badly damaged and will need repairing.

The British Expeditionary Force is despached to France and will arrive at Cherbourg shortly.
Schnurri
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Schnurri »

I wouldn't waste French troops on the border with Italy - usually Paris is about done for anyway when the Italians come in. If the French manage to hold out longer you can always transfer French troops down there later if you think it is necessary but the Germans will be your main problem.
davidjwest

Post by davidjwest »

Good tip, we're both pretty noobish at this game and you are correct!
davidjwest

Post by davidjwest »

October 31st 1941

France

General Huntziger is recruited and once he is available will be crucial in the defence of France as he is experienced at fighting rearguard actions.

Britain

The German Kriegsmarine has counterattacked with two submarine wulf-packs hitting our carrier group hard. Ark Royal has had to withdraw to Newcastle for repairs while the rest of the fleet in the area seeks out the aggressor with some help from the French Navy. At least while the German subs are contained in the North Sea our convoys are safe.

The BEF arrives on French soil to help the defence, if France can hold firm then there is less chance of the Germans trying to invade the home islands.

Research concentrating on aircraft for now.
Starshatter wrote:The glorious UnterBoot attack (With apologies to Oliver for my cod German!)

All Quiet on the Western Front. Again.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”