Team Assault Wish List

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen »

But there's no point in playing after you've won! But OK, I understand that you might want to let you master plan go though sometimes. Might be possible to change "Look around" to "Keep playing". Can look into it as some point, but it won't be among the things highest prioritised :)

I agree that playing with control points is much more fun and gives something more tactical to aim for then "kill the enemy". Added annihilation just because we though that some players would want to have it. And it can actually be fun sometimes in skirmish when one just want to shoot stuff and not really care about a scenario.
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Laxen wrote:But there's no point in playing after you've won! But OK, I understand that you might want to let you master plan go though sometimes. Might be possible to change "Look around" to "Keep playing". Can look into it as some point, but it won't be among the things highest prioritised :).
Thus why it’s called a “wish list”. Maybe sometime between now and Version 10.
:wink:
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Oops. Forgot which topic it was :P
Rasmus Davidsson
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

• Able to save games

I have been playing some longer games and with the fact that “life” keeps interrupting – save game option is a real must. Or maybe just a smidgen below a “must”. With a wife, 5 kids, a father-in-law and a cat in the house, there are a LOT of interruptions.

Really want that save option.
:D
teamgene
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by teamgene »

I would like to ask for crawling in later releases! hehehe.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VonRyan mentioned Nighttime games above – I would like to add to that under the umbrella topic of “weather”.

• Have Snow and Rain skirmishes.
Mostly I was thinking of this for more or less that the look of it would be cool, but this could also have an effect on LOS and movement.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Xerkis wrote:VonRyan mentioned Nighttime games above – I would like to add to that under the umbrella topic of “weather”.

• Have Snow and Rain skirmishes.
Mostly I was thinking of this for more or less that the look of it would be cool, but this could also have an effect on LOS and movement.
It would be great :D to be able to set the weather if possible:

Russian campaign – rain, mud, snow, ice

Africa & the Middle East – desert - heat, dust, sand (lack of water?)
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Is there an option to print a detailed list of your force (team squad)?

For example, players could use the print-out as a work sheet to micro manage their force or role play their squad, keep stat's on the surviving members of the squad, number of battles, kills and identify new (replacement leaders). The worksheet would enable players to record team members experience, service (Russian Front / France, etc) and the edit squad function could be used to change leaders, equipment etc (modify squad after its last battle).

I think Xerkis said that he likes spread sheets, maybe he could design a open office (non-copyright) spread sheet with details like a service record, uniform, weapon/s, battle experience and locations (Russian front, Africa etc) where rank and medals could be awarded on paper. Once a member of the squad advances, he could be used as a leader in the formation of his own squad or transferred to another front, this may enhance the feeling of role playing within the game. Any thoughts or ideas? :roll:

The spread sheet could be simple or complex depending on the level of role playing, players want to engage in. A set of basic rules could be formuled and applied by players, eg: x amount of missions = month or year which = next year etc.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

I love your ideas.
:D

I did already make a spreadsheet and it is posted in the Beta forum. I won’t (or can’t) post it in the open forum until I get permission to do so. The spreadsheet itself isn’t “secretive”, but the data within it I believe it would be at this point of the game testing. As of now, you have to manual enter data into the spreadsheet – which isn’t too difficult – and once it is entered there are some calculations, and ease of seeing your squads.

Side not here: I do want to work on making the data entry to be automatic. One of the many things on my to-do list.

Keeping some of the other information that you listed would be somewhat difficult to do without an easier way to identify you team members. (See above posting on naming soldiers as a sulotion.) But since the names are given at random, each time you deploy the same squad all the Privates would be named differently and unable to tell who is really who. The squad officers you would be able to tell a bit better just because of their rank. Or if all your men have a different weapon (which they can do) you might be able to use that to help in identifying your men.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Xerkis wrote: :D

Keeping some of the other information that you listed would be somewhat difficult to do without an easier way to identify you team members. (See above posting on naming soldiers as a solution.) But since the names are given at random, each time you deploy the same squad all the Privates would be named differently and unable to tell who is really who. The squad officers you would be able to tell a bit better just because of their rank. Or if all your men have a different weapon (which they can do) you might be able to use that to help in identifying your men.
It would be easy to raise the squad from the information on the (first print out) worksheet and edition the names etc. For role playing, if the squad is involved in a number of battles and have not been resupplied but has taken (exchanged) weapons off the battle field, the weapons they take, would the weapons that they start the next battle with. This process may involve the use of the old manual computer (pen & paper): - to update the weapons list on the worksheet.

Without knowing what is in your spread sheet or what information the player will have access to: To enhance the role playing feature (potential) of the game would involve, a list of:
1. The different types of squads, weapons, field equipment etc.
2. The min and max limits (experience level - recruit, solider, veteran) of the individual squad members or the type of squad (if the squad could not be a mixed unit).
3. A set of rules or guidelines which players could apply to manage or micro manage their squads, as in the service record style of management.

Players could issue medal/s to squad members for the role that they have played in the last or many battles (paper & pen record). For example, 4 battles, 15-20 kills & an act of bravely may = military medal of some type depending on the country you are playing. I believe that the game cannot award medals or keep a record hence the pen and paper record. But having said that, the concept of role playing is not to take anything away from the game but to make it more enjoyable based on the player’s need for detail. But hey I will be happy with the game based on what I have heard so far. Keep up the good work.

I also posted the following idea but after a review of the teamassault-game.com link re: forcebuilder the concept would not be possible.
'....if each class of squad, can be fitted with uniforms down to the individual level (per member), would it be possible to have for example, a German uniform with an iron cross or iron cross ribbon on the uniform? That way, if a member of the squad received an award it could be displayed on the uniform you fit that member of the squad with. Note: Not all medals but the highest medial a squad member could win but this would depend on the uniform choice players have when using forcebuilder. But it may not be an issue because you will not be able to see any medals based on the size of the unit in the game.'
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

These are every interesting ideas. Would definitely be a step towards evolving Team Assault into a more RPG-like game, rather then larger scale combat.
Rasmus Davidsson
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

@VonRyan. You made me think of another item for the wish list that would help in what you are talking about.

• An after skirmish stats screen. Showing things like squad/soldier kills, squad/soldier control point captured, squad/soldier losses, etc.

As far as you ideas you are putting out… I think some of them are very doable without much effort, others might still be doable but will take a little work.

Very definitely, something that I think needs to be looked in to – especially in a campaign setting.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Xerkis wrote:@VonRyan. You made me think of another item for the wish list that would help in what you are talking about.

• An after skirmish stats screen. Showing things like squad/soldier kills, squad/soldier control point captured, squad/soldier losses, etc.

As far as you ideas you are putting out… I think some of them are very doable without much effort, others might still be doable but will take a little work.

Very definitely, something that I think needs to be looked in to – especially in a campaign setting.
Hi Xerkis,

If you are working toward an after skirmish stats screen, how about a pre skirmish stats screen, that way you would be able to consider the manual award of a medal based on preformance (the difference between the pre and post skirmish stats). However, the difference should be measured over a set amount of battles, unless the soldier preformed above the call of duty.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Laxen wrote:These are every interesting ideas. Would definitely be a step towards evolving Team Assault into a more RPG-like game, rather then larger scale combat.
Hi Laxen,

It all depends on where the game is heading, I am hoping there is room for both role playing and game play (without the bells and whistles). That way you will hopefully make most people happy.

The role playing side, could be as simple as the use of spread sheets (worksheets) which could be downloaded after the game is released, from a link on the Team Assault website or this forum with a guide to their use. Xerkis use of skirmish stats screens could be included in a later release if possible depending on time before release.

The role playing approach is linked more to the old broad game style, where players want more detail.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Post game stats would have been awesome. Was something we planned to have from the start but got removed as other things were prioritised.

VonRyan: If we go for large scale combat we could of course as a simplified layer of unit progression for whole squads. That would be nice. But if we went for an even deeper RPG approach, which also can be lots of fun, it would be really hard to also get larger scale combat into the game (with more squads, tanks and air support), since it would be really messy and extreme amounts of information, too much to keep track of and to ever develop any kind of relationship with the soldiers.
Rasmus Davidsson
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Laxen wrote:Post game stats would have been awesome. Was something we planned to have from the start but got removed as other things were prioritised.

VonRyan: If we go for large scale combat we could of course as a simplified layer of unit progression for whole squads. That would be nice. But if we went for an even deeper RPG approach, which also can be lots of fun, it would be really hard to also get larger scale combat into the game (with more squads, tanks and air support), since it would be really messy and extreme amounts of information, too much to keep track of and to ever develop any kind of relationship with the soldiers.
Hi Laxen,

I am all for unit progression within Team Assault: - squad, platoon and (reduced) company size units, with tanks and air support. I think it was mentioned that there are up to ten squads (max) per side which = 3 x platoons plus a HQ of 10 which = a reduced company. When you include tanks and air support, how many squads would a player lose to be able to have some tanks and or air support? While role playing is a enjoyable part of war gaming, the scale of your game sounds like a winner! Most most war gamers can still modify how they play and manage their squads etc. Lastly, I would not mind seeing a Vietnam or Korean mod (add-on) at a later date. 8) :wink: :wink:
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VonRyan wrote:Lastly, I would not mind seeing a Vietnam or Korean mod (add-on) at a later date. 8) :wink: :wink:
Vietnam – oh my yes! I have yet to find a good Vietnam game.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

So that ideas don’t get lost in the discussions, I copied them to the first post. Just making them as bullet points, for detail on the ideas either follow the link (if there is one) or search this thread.

I put them in the order that I found them. If I missed any, my apologies and please let me know.
Please keep in mind that the list is just that – a list. Meant to be short on the line items with the details of the idea posted elsewhere. (As in throughout this thread.)

Hopefully this will be easier for Zeal to keep track of them.
teamgene

Post by teamgene »

Nicely done.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Thanks.
There are some nice discussions going on and I would hate to see anyone’s ideas be missed in the potentially long list of posts.

…….. Including mine.

Return to “Team Assault”