longbow stakes

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

longbow stakes

Post by ravenflight »

Hi All,

I've been trying to get an idea on longbow stakes. Fortunately, I'm using Perry 28mm, so I have plenty of size.

So far, I've seen very few (absolutely none?) model stakes that look like stakes... they look more like telegraph poles stuck in the ground.

This is the kind of appearance I'd like to go for:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/0 ... cn0856.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts?

P.S. - I'm going to put the stakes down even tho I'll rarely (if ever) use stakes. I'm doing it for artistic appeal, not for signifying anything.
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

Donnington do stakes that are 'in scale'
[img]http://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/ekmps/ ... 0[ekm].jpg[/img]
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 »

I would use a variant of toothpicks. They are usually sold in the barbecue section and they are for preparing kebabs (sorry, I do not know the words in English). They are cheap, thinner than 28mm stakes, made in wood and thus easily adaptable for your purposes of making stakes.

will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by will05 »

Looks like you want something more natural. I use little bits of some old Heather plant wood for natural and dead wood on my bases and models. Problem with this stuff is that its not very hard wearing.
Legionbuilder
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Legionbuilder »

I useed toothpicks for my 15mm - but I like the idea of barbeque spits for 25/28mm ones - just take a base and after cutting the pieces to the right length - spread some liquitex artist medium or other appropriate putty like material on the base - stick in your cut spikes and let them dry - after they are dry - paint and or dry brush them until you are happy with them - add some flock to match your gaming bases and you are done....
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

Legionbuilder wrote:I useed toothpicks for my 15mm - but I like the idea of barbeque spits for 25/28mm ones - just take a base and after cutting the pieces to the right length - spread some liquitex artist medium or other appropriate putty like material on the base - stick in your cut spikes and let them dry - after they are dry - paint and or dry brush them until you are happy with them - add some flock to match your gaming bases and you are done....
Like these?
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

My gawd a candy cane forest
titanu wrote:Image
pikeman666
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: longbow stakes

Post by pikeman666 »

Go get some twigs and carve 'em! Use a little blade and they will look like the were chopped with axes. You can always coat them with clear glue to add strength. Pete

Return to “Modelling”