Renaming your units into famous

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

agandaur88
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Renaming your units into famous

Post by agandaur88 »

I would like to rename my divisions into famous ones, but I have no idea which were. I have few SS famous division, but I cant find any air or artilery famous division. Does someone have any list to help? Tnx
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

I remember the "Green Devils", a famous fallschirmjager division.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
agandaur88

Post by agandaur88 »

Tnx, perfect, because I have only one falschs in my army, I know for 2nd SS Panzer Lehr and 7th Panzer Ghost Division,... any ideas more?
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

try these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ge ... _divisions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Field_Division

The obvious is the Herman Goring,,but maybe you'll find some other usefull info

Here is the Fallschrimjager Divisions . I know from my own research that the Fallschrimjagers were just as dedicated and hardcore as the Waffen SS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Field_Division

If you still need names you could name them Lehr IE:Inf. Lehr,,Panzer Lehr...Art. Lehr...etc

If these don't help drop me a pm and I'll look in some of my research material and get you some nicknames, at least, like the Green Devils,,Ghost Division..etc

Btw the 2nd SS Panzer was "Das Reich"
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
Lamont
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lamont »

For heavey antitank bat the most obvious are 653rd and 654th.

For StuG indipendent hoc 276 and 277th is two of the more famous ones.

The 2nd Stuka Grouop (2 SG) was joined by Rudel (Hans-Ulrich) himself (was not part of the French Camp) its name was "Immelmann" and probably the most famous Stuka Wing of the entire war.

The most famous fighter Squads is JV 44 (Jagdverbande) "The Galland Circus" wich was a only elite fighter squad. The men were handpicked and used Me 262.

Infantry probably Gross Deutschland in the wermacht. There were many elite formerd battle groups and one ex is "The wengler group"
Generally the gebergisjäger was seen as an form of elitish brand of infatry stormtroopers and the 5th Gebj Div is probably one of the best of the war.Of course the Mansteins 11th army in the battle for Crimea is quite famous too and were mostly Infantry based with Tank, plane, super heavy mortars/howitzers etc in support for the siege of Sevastapol.
Link to the 11th army:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Army_(Germany)

Fallschirmsjägers that some already mentioned is also of course pure elite with perhaps the 6th regiment and the 7th Flieger Div (That was used in the battle for Crete).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_1st ... r_Division
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... _of_battle (For a more detaled page about the battle of Crete)

There are so many more but a few tips, hope it will prove usefull for you.
agandaur88

Post by agandaur88 »

Tnx for you help guys, I aprecciate it a lot! How about I make a list and you all sugest your names?
5 grenadiers units, 5 SS grenadiers units, 3 falschs, 3 pionners, 3 gebirstjagers, 10 panzer division, 5 anti tank division, 5 artillery division, 5 fighters division, 5 tactical bombers, 3 strategic bombers.
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

The very moment you give a unit a special name its chances to get wiped out rise by 76%.
agandaur88

Post by agandaur88 »

Not -.-
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Longasc wrote:The very moment you give a unit a special name its chances to get wiped out rise by 76%.
Heheh ain't that the truth. Personally I consider all units expendable except for a few SE tanks. Otherwise I'd be save/loading constantly to prevent losses. ;)
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

I recently played some scenarios that taught me that 1-2 units lost are actually peanuts. I am looking forward to the forum comments and not unexpected rage about some upcoming scenarios! :) - but keep up the good work, you portray the changed nature of the battlefield for the Wehrmacht (oh my does that sound highbrow!) in later years of WW2 masterfully in the 1939-X DLCs. As long as deducter doesn't cry havoc its all fine. :)
WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by WhiteRook »

I have a book on Waffen SS units created for other countries troops at home some where, PM me if you would like me to come up with a few out of it! :)
Dreadgod
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Dreadgod »

Here's a tip that I used in Panzer General 2, especially once I really got into the user-created patches and OpenPG2 and all that. I would go to http://www.feldgrau.com/ (an apparently non-partisan site dedicated to historical facts on units, such as date of commissioning, area and times of service, etc.) It's a pretty dry but EXCELLENT source to pick out notable Heer and Waffen unit names to give your units. You can also tailor it a bit to the scale of the scenario or campaign - do you want full division names, regiments, or battalions? The nice thing is that the site has equally good information on Luftwaffe fighter, fighter-bomber and bomber squadrons & wings; you can really fill out all your units. With the categories available you can give realistic names to your mountaineers, panzer grenadier, straight leg infantry, anti-tank battalions, you name it.

I would mention that you should not give all your units Waffen-SS unit names. For one, that's utterly unrealistic and a good grognard would know better. The Heer possessed the vast majority of all ground units in the Wehrmacht. Two, the game itself tells you you're mostly dealing with Heer units, not Waffen except your limited number of "SE" units. Three... well, it's a bit greasy on the soul to use just SS names, but that's just me.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

There was at least ONE Wehrmacht Division that had parity with the Waffen SS in terms of equipment, personnel of high caliber and unrestrained support from German supply sources. It was known as Gross Deutschland. It was the Elite Division of the Heer and commanded respect from all military units of all branches including the Waffen SS. They had Panzer Grenadiers, Panzer Fusiliers, a Panzer Division (with PzIII, PzIV, Panther and Tiger I) AA, AT, Artillery and Stug Regiments. They were a "fireman" brigade all over the Eastern Front and were on the spearpoint of the Southern Pincer in Operation Zitadelle. Over the course of the war, the few who survived combat were captured by Russians. Most never got back to Germany. This was a pure Heer Division and very proud of the fact by both officers and men. They did not have the political background of the Waffen SS and were purely military in spirit and fighting methods. One of the survivors, Guy Sajer, an Alsatian of German/French blood, wrote the classic book, "The Forgotten Soldier". Another short book was written by a soldier named Novotny who immigrated to the US and started a very successful business in Illinois.

The Heer Tiger Abeitlung units were numbered 500-510, with all of them serving with great distinction, especially the 502 (Otto Carius), 503 (highest killing ratio of all Tiger units and regiment of Kurt Knispel), 505 and 506. 508 served mostly in Italy. 510 was a late war unit. Gross Deutschland Division had a Tiger I unit.

The 1st and 2nd Panzer Divisions served with great distinction all throughout the war and were rebuilt/reconstituted continously during the war.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
Dreadgod

Post by Dreadgod »

True, Gross Deutschland does have an excellent combat history and is comparatively untainted by allegations of misconduct. However, the problem is that as a division-level unit they didn't exist until 1942. Earlier, they simply weren't a large enough unit to really fit in with filling out an entire core unit lineup. Also, they were an infantry unit until 1942, as well. But still, you could at least get a nice little core going of your infantry, artillery and recon units using the GD unit names, and then "expand" their numbers somewhere on the Eastern Front.

Return to “Panzer Corps”