Favourite Scenario

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Gersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Favourite Scenario

Post by Gersen »

Its been a long while since this was raised and there have been a lot of new packs and scenarios since then.

Recently, I really enjoyed playing Medway as Romans SP. Not very replayable after one or two goes as you figure out what to do, but a bit of a puzzle initially.

Any other recommendations for either SP or MP?
massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Favourite Scenario

Post by massina_nz »

I've enjoyed Agicola goes north in MP. Played it a few times using different strategies. There's a good deal of tension for both sides.
TJD
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TJD »

Heraclea and Himeras River are my two favorites for MP. I think Klaus (Demetrios) did a really outstanding job in designing the terrain for the latter.

Tim
Demetrios

Post by Demetrios »

Thanks for the flowers, my friend. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Klaus
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

massina_nz wrote:I've enjoyed Agicola goes north in MP. Played it a few times using different strategies. There's a good deal of tension for both sides.
just played it SP as Brigantes. Very good, and not a bad challenge for SP.
Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf »

Glad you liked it. I knew it was OK when I managed to lose in SP as each side....

Paul
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by ericdoman1 »

Arausio is very good. Especailly vs another human. I reckon it is very evenly matched. Not sure if you should play with double moves on though.

However the real tough ones vs the computer are Caesar--- Eburones, Trigra... and Agincourt. Romans, Romasn and English respecively playing in neutral. No real point playing agst another human as the opposing sides are way too strong.
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

ericdoman1 wrote:Arausio is very good. Especailly vs another human. I reckon it is very evenly matched. Not sure if you should play with double moves on though.

However the real tough ones vs the computer are Caesar--- Eburones, Trigra... and Agincourt. Romans, Romasn and English respecively playing in neutral. No real point playing agst another human as the opposing sides are way too strong.
Yes another enjoyable game. I played the recommended Romans (with FOG of War and Double Moves), and seeing that they were spread out too much and the terrain was awful, I displaced the army to the ridge to the rear. A wise decision, I think. There were a few turns of fending off manic Barbarian attacks, and plugging gaps where my Barbarian allies went anarchic.

Good fun for an AI game, but a easy to clean up in the end.

More recommendations please!
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Yep that is the way to beat the Barbarians with the Romans agst the computer.

Allobroges is good, human vs human

Castillon vs computer, as the English. Although once you figure out how to win it's game over really.

Could be an interesting game vs a human.

There is Marathon as the Persians (vs the computer and possible human). You should not lose a single bp vs the computer. The challenge then is the biggest casualty ratio you can have. I think I got a 20 to 1?

Another good one vs computer (only) is Nahel - el Haramiah as the Jews

See if you can find the "Arthurian scenarios" Play agst another human though, play each side. I think there were 5 scenarios/campaigns and very good.

My favourite is Battle of Pavia (stockwellpete, he designs a number of excellent, not so well known medieval scenarios). You will need to play agst another human
massina_nz

Post by massina_nz »

I've played Castillion versus a human as a paired match. However my opponent choose very inappropriate tactics and I was able to easily win as both sides. So I guess maybe that makes it rather balanced.

I've recently played Stoke Field a few times. It's a real trick playing the Royalists and could be very interesting if the Rebels come off the hills early.

Currently playing Verneil, ugh! stay away! Most of the troop types are not what you expect, it's like alll the French armour (and troops) have rusted from disuse, and the English are all uber-troops. Stockwellpete did warn me!

For playability (not necessarily historical accruacy) versus another player I'd suggest the following

Chaeronea
Cisalpine Gaul
Corinth
Crimissos River
Cynoscephalae
Scirthaea
Starter Army Battle - Indians vs Macedonians
Beneventum
Harlaw
Tewkesbury
Sparta
Arsouf
Durazzo
Starter Army Battle - Komnenan vs Ayyubid
Crossing the Tigris
Parthian river crossing in India
Granson
Lucena
Chaldiran

Most of them provide interesting challenges to both sides, are reasonably well-balanced, and predominately free of unit image errors.

Everyone's mileage varies of course, for instance I can't stand Arausio as the unit types are completely contray to the troops I'd expect from the D.A.G. I'd say at least half the official scenarios suffer from this and incorrect image types.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”