so are some staying with FOG 1.0?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

darthsmaul
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

so are some staying with FOG 1.0?

Post by darthsmaul »

Is 1.0 that broken or something?

I thought it played pretty well. I have only played about 6-8 games but found it to be good and based on the mess that version 2.0 seems to be causing, Im thinking our small local group will just keep the army books, army and rules for version 1

thoughts?
like games? I do too, checkout my gaming blog and leave a comment or two. www.fungamesroom.com
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: so are some staying with FOG 1.0?

Post by zoltan »

No it isn't that broken and most of us are still playing v1.0. I expect that many of us will start progressively adding in some of the new rules from the 'press release' while we are waiting for v2 to actually come on the market (timing for which still seems quite vague). So I expect to dust off my Khmer and start using 3 dice at impact, add 1MU to movement through difficult, and restrict my opponents LH/LF skirmishers to the new rules etc.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I think I speak for most of the MAWS players when saying we will stick with V1 unless something printed comes out. If nothing printed comes out we will do our own amendments or move on to another set eventually.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
darthsmaul
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by darthsmaul »

yeah, I guess if we cant get a printed copy, I don't have an ipad, and I'm not going to buy a game I have to drag my laptop around to play and likely be the only one who knows the rules.

that is too bad, I really like version 1

I guess Ill stick with it, we have had lots of fun with it so I'm not aware of the "problems" there must be to have to switch to a version 2.
like games? I do too, checkout my gaming blog and leave a comment or two. www.fungamesroom.com
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

smaul wrote:I guess Ill stick with it, we have had lots of fun with it so I'm not aware of the "problems" there must be to have to switch to a version 2.
V2 just improves the wording and attempts to level the playing field it seems. Though those troops that were p1ss poor are still p1ss poor for their points cost.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 »

philqw78 wrote:I think I speak for most of the MAWS players when saying we will stick with V1 unless something printed comes out. If nothing printed comes out we will do our own amendments or move on to another set eventually.
I could live playing V1 as long as we ban the Swiss :D
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by zoltan »

david53 wrote:
philqw78 wrote:I think I speak for most of the MAWS players when saying we will stick with V1 unless something printed comes out. If nothing printed comes out we will do our own amendments or move on to another set eventually.
A cheesey army? :D
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

philqw78 wrote:V2 just improves the wording and attempts to level the playing field it seems. Though those troops that were p1ss poor are still p1ss poor for their points cost.
Well eventutally in the pure digital world it becomes easier to change points.
Sadly this will occur right when the office become paperless.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

hazelbark wrote:Sadly this will occur right when the office become paperless.
Which will be just after the Fire Brigade have been 'round to burn our books.
phil
Sarmaticus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Sarmaticus »

[/quote] I could live playing V1 as long as we ban the Swiss :D[/quote]
A cheesey army? :D[/quote]

Surely not wholly?
Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik »

In my group we'll be sticking with V1 unless a printable version of V2 comes out.
david53

Post by david53 »

Polkovnik wrote:In my group we'll be sticking with V1 unless a printable version of V2 comes out.
I'm with you why at the start of the beta phase of V2 they did'nt raise this paperless issue it might have saved a lot of time then.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

I will be sticking with V1 until I can access a paper version of V2.

But happy to attend V1 comps with 'house rules' that are published in advance.

Hopefully with such consistent feedback Slitherine will have a re-think. But then again, us figure gamers are in the minority - so maybe not?
Pete
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

smaul wrote:Is 1.0 that broken or something?

I thought it played pretty well. I have only played about 6-8 games but found it to be good and based on the mess that version 2.0 seems to be causing, Im thinking our small local group will just keep the army books, army and rules for version 1

thoughts?
1.0 is a good game and there is little wrong with it for play within a small group. It works well between compatible army types. However some styles of play, troop types and army types tend to do significantly better than others. There is something of a problem with open competitions as the more experienced players tend to bring the army styles that work well, or armies designed to counter them. I find that games can be inconclusive as a result. Of course, if you enjoy the army and troop types that do well that won't be much of an issue for you and many of those who don't have drifted off of the FOGAM competition scene.

2.0 seems to me to improve the game, as you'd expect of a second version. Unfortunately, changes to points values were originally ruled out (though seem to be coming back in). However, much as I'd like to play it and had looked forward to doing so I can't see how I will do that without a printed version. I also think that sufficient of the UK competition players will be in the same boat that we will see few 2.0 competitions.

I've been increasingly playing the Renaissance version, so might continue with that. FOGR has many similarities to the ancient set but came out later so had the benefit that it could avoid some problems. Also, the firepower is such that inconclusive games are less common.

I'm not sure what I'll do for ancients play. Maybe 1.0 down the club, maybe switch to an alternative set. Unless that is a printable version of v2 appears and I can play that.
pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse »

We also find 1.0 a good game - but we use it for historical matchups, scenarios and refights.
I'd buy 2.0 as a hard copy; I'd buy it as a PDF. I won't buy it in a format that only lets me read it on screen.
Paper is a lot more practical round the wargame table, much easier to read than text on a screen, and it doesn't have batteries which can run out.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

grahambriggs wrote:Also, the firepower is such that inconclusive games are less common.
Smaller tables also make inconclusive games rarer. I finished a game with Dave Ruddock in under 90mins on Monday using a 60 MU width table. He obvioulsy blamed that on his rubbish dice, I blame it on his rubbish play.
Last edited by philqw78 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Custor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Custor »

Staying with V 1.
Don't play in competitions and supply both armies so mismatches are minimised.
It's brought Ancient gaming back to my club....so perfectly happy luddite.
Petefloro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Petefloro »

Custor wrote:Staying with V 1.
Don't play in competitions and supply both armies so mismatches are minimised.
It's brought Ancient gaming back to my club....so perfectly happy luddite.
Same at our club in Maidstone! 8)
spike
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by spike »

zoltan wrote:
david53 wrote:
A cheesey army? :D
Dave and his irrational fear of anything Swiss......
Reminder to bring Emmental Cheese sandwiches & my Victorinox knife to the next comp I play them!
(I'd bring a Cookoo clock if I owned one :twisted: )

Its like
1315 Mortagen, 1339 Laupen, 1386 Sempach, 1405 Stoss, 1476 Grandison all over again.......

Swiss 650pt FoG "tour of distruction "
GamesExpo 2011 (7/28), Stockport Pick-n-Mix 2011 (2/20), Stafford Swords 2012 (1/10), Games Expo 2012 (1/20)
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

A fool and his money are soon elected.
Will Rogers

Pitty the fool!!!
Mr T
Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 »

Don't worry Spike, my dailami fresh from their victory in the 650 pointer you couldn't attend this weekend will soon bring your reign to an end !! :twisted:

Rob

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”