Panzer Corps East - The struggle for Russia "Grand Strategy"

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Panzer Corps East - The struggle for Russia "Grand Strat

Post by MajVonRyan »

Nice effect
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

___________________________________UPDATE 08.08.2012_____________________________________

In the meantime somewhere in the East...the OKH sends some Wallpapers your way :D
1024x768, 1280x1024, 1650x1050, 1920x1080
Volume 2 comes with PanzerCorps East release....still a while though

Download: http://www.file-upload.net/download-465 ... 1.rar.html

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Good looking screenshots, chris.
They could be used for main menu. :D
LostAgain
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by LostAgain »

VPaulus wrote:
nikivdd wrote:
In the meantime everybody can save for a more powerful computer ;)
:lol:
I think will have to buy a 6 core CPU and a new graphic card for chris mod. :P
If this is even half as good as it looks like it'll be I'd buy a new 'puter just to be able to play it. Seriously, I would!
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

chris10 wrote:___________________________Update 05.08.2012______________________________

After playing around and running some tests with the Generic Mod enabler I found that its a lot of hassle for the PC illiterate user
because Panzercorps East will be a deep mod with a lot of changes to UI, Graphics and most other folders in the game.
This would require installation in the MyDocuments/My Games/PanzerCorps/Mods root AND the JSGME MOD folder in the game folder.
This is a lot of user action and very unhandy. Its most unfortunate that the ingame mod support is not deep enough in order to make the exe always read and load Modfolder files first and then load the remaining files needed from the game folder.

I therefore decided to make a new build and provide a complete PanzerCorps East folder like DMP has done with Winter War and their other PanzerCorpss derivations.

This seems the most user friendly approach to me and gives me entire freedom in design.

Ok...what's this talk of other Panzer Corps derivatives???
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

LostAgain wrote:Ok...what's this talk of other Panzer Corps derivatives???
Afrika Korps and Ostfront.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Those are beautiful Chris. I am working on some new icons in honor of the occasion. :D
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

VPaulus wrote:
LostAgain wrote:Ok...what's this talk of other Panzer Corps derivatives???
Afrika Korps and Ostfront.
When you say Ostfront are you referring to the add-on '39-'45 Russian campaigns, or is there something else out there like what you're building?
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

LostAgain wrote: When you say Ostfront are you referring to the add-on '39-'45 Russian campaigns, or is there something else out there like what you're building?
No..Ostfront and Afrika Korps mods made by the poeple at DMP forums... :wink:
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

I can't wait till your done, it should be one of the best mods available for the game. :D It's probably beyond the scope of war in the east but what about a Panzer Corps Grand strategy mod for all of Europe? Would that even be possible with the current game engine?

By the way let me know if you need any assistance with additional artwork, UI. :)
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

Scott900091 wrote:.. it should be one of the best mods available for the game. :D
Thnx, a lot of premature praise maybe...ok...I mean, everybody has aspirations...so do I ...but well see... :wink:
Scott900091 wrote: It's probably beyond the scope of war in the east but what about a Panzer Corps Grand strategy mod for all of Europe? Would that even be possible with the current game engine?
Well..I think the natural limit is simply current PC technology.
Its possible to do such a map with the editor..maybe 600x600 or even bigger but Iam not sure the current mechanics and scripting abilitys of the engine would suffice to model the entire european war in a satisfying way...let alone the AI routines...I see lots of possibilities for endless calculation loops so the entire setting has to be amended.
The complete effort would be overwhelming, still a lot of fun though...I think I would consider doin it but only in a professional way > getting paid for it and with the help of a skilled, yet small, team.
Scott900091 wrote: By the way let me know if you need any assistance with additional artwork, UI. :)
Thnx for offer..I definately keep that in mind...there soon might arise the need for some help as I have something in mind for the main game menu but it requires a lot of editing of the html files,deleting unneccessary entrys and cleaning of images and files (to reduce the overall size of the gamefolder and gamefiles in general)
My goal is to get rid of everything not needed for PzC East and have a clean Game Install..no cluttered folders or textfiles, no trash entrys in the textfiles either..I hate this as it makes bugfixing painstakingly annoying cause one has to dig thru all the obsolete entrys/files/images too
Everthing not needed gets kicked out
EDIT: Have a look at first post :)
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

chris10 wrote: Thnx for offer..I definately keep that in mind...there soon might arise the need for some help as I have something in mind for the main game menu but it requires a lot of editing of the html files,deleting unneccessary entrys and cleaning of images and files (to reduce the overall size of the gamefolder and gamefiles in general)
My goal is to get rid of everything not needed for PzC East and have a clean Game Install..no cluttered folders or textfiles, no trash entrys in the textfiles either..I hate this as it makes bugfixing painstakingly annoying cause one has to dig thru all the obsolete entrys/files/images too
Everthing not needed gets kicked out
NOW THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS IMO. GLAD YOU ARE DOING THIS CHRIS. Monumental Task even slightly overwhelming, but the end result is like a Michael Angelo painting, a masterpiece.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

flakfernrohr wrote: NOW THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS IMO. GLAD YOU ARE DOING THIS CHRIS. Monumental Task even slightly overwhelming, but the end result is like a Michael Angelo painting, a masterpiece.
Yeah..lets see if I can do all the painting... :shock:
Right now Iam cleaning the equipment and efx of all unneccessary entrys and then add back in the new units in one cohesive file.
Same has to be done for units and big units folder...and I spent the entire evening to make a new Main Screen..this fiddeling around with graphic art is more timeconsuming than any coding..
btw ..like the new burning big logo in first post ? :lol:
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

_____________________________ONLY IN PANZERCOPRS EAST ___________________________________

For the first time in any PanzerCorps game/mod in Panzercoprs East you can share the fate of the greatest war heros
of any time and any nation. 32 real german fighter,bomber and tank aces who fought in the east assigned to their corresponding units

These 32 man worth as much as an entire army and are responsible for the destruction of over 3000 planes and over 2000 tanks plus a countless amount of other equipment of any kind which would suffice to arm and motorize a whole army corps

Last edited by Chris10 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

Chris10 wrote:
LostAgain wrote: When you say Ostfront are you referring to the add-on '39-'45 Russian campaigns, or is there something else out there like what you're building?
No..Ostfront and Afrika Korps mods made by the poeple at DMP forums... :wink:
Can you direct me to where I can find these mods that are already in use? I'd love to try them...
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

LostAgain wrote:Can you direct me to where I can find these mods that are already in use? I'd love to try them...
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=27036
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Chris, is the category of Heroes full or complete? There are some perhaps lesser known soldiers that all fought in the east, some high ranking and others just field officers that I would love to recommend if you do not have them. Hyacinth Von Strachwitz, Franz Bake, Willi Langekeit, Bodo Spranz, Dido Diddens, Hanns Magold, Gunther Viezenz, Remy Schrinjnen, Gerhard Knopka. Von Strachwitz was a very wealthy aristocrat who lost everything from the war and died after serving as a military advisor in the Middle East. A very tragic life, but a brave one.
Attachments
Gunter Viezenz.jpg
Gunter Viezenz.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
bodo spranz.jpg
bodo spranz.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
Von Strachwitz.jpg
Von Strachwitz.jpg (4.96 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

flakfernrohr wrote:Chris, is the category of Heroes full or complete? There are some perhaps lesser known soldiers that all fought in the east, some high ranking and others just field officers that I would love to recommend if you do not have them. Hyacinth Von Strachwitz, Franz Bake, Willi Langekeit, Bodo Spranz, Dido Diddens, Hanns Magold, Gunther Viezenz, Remy Schrinjnen, Gerhard Knopka. Von Strachwitz was a very wealthy aristocrat who lost everything from the war and died after serving as a military advisor in the Middle East. A very tragic life, but a brave one.
Dwight...there never will be a full or complete list...the problem here is where to draw the line and the 32 I selected are among the all time high scoring aces in air and tank...
My criteria was/is
A. High score/rank in individual ace list
B. Image available
C. Assignable to a unit with Insignia (one of the unique units)

however..when Iam going to deploy units I may have another look at
Bodo Spranz, Hanns Magold to see if I can fit them in

and Gerhard Konopka was with Grd.Regiment Grossdeutschland..so he can have a ticket :wink:

The others were either more commanders (Hyacinth Von Strachwitz, Franz Bake, Willi Langekeit) than individual aces or joined to late (Remy Schrinjnen) and Günther Viezenz was with the 252. Infanterie-Division which obviously is no unique unit here
These heros will give a big boost to make their units especially powerful so I dont want these sort of hero to become an of the shelf article...the thing with bonuses is what I said before...whem making mods or games you have to be careful and draw a line somewhere :wink: ...otherwise its just bonuses here,bonuses there..bonuses everywhere...still..I think with these added this is a pretty neat feature and adds a lot to the grand strategy and RPG element
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

nvmd.... :P
Last edited by Chris10 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

In researching camouflage patterns, paints and methods of application, the door was wide open to the individual units and even to the individual vehicles. A great deal depended on the supply of paint (only three basic colors in various shades of the same) and colors as gasoline was usually used for thinner. Then there was the question of the application methods. It could have been air paint guns from the repair shops/trucks or could have been paint brushes, rags, brooms, tree branches or tied bundles of grass. Anything and everything was used to apply some sort of pattern to match the terrain and weather. Plain whitewash made from whatever materials were available was applied in winter many times with just brooms or rags. Sometimes mud from the ground was applied.

Even in the best of times in war and fighting in the field, there are always shortages of certain supplies, materials, manpower, tools, time and conditions of EVERYTHING.

If the unit or vehicle was short on time to apply the "camouflage" you can imagine how quickly the job would get done and what it might look like or even how clean the surface of the metal was prior to the application of metals. There just was no uniform pattern, color (other than the three colors provided and how thinned or blended they were) or ideal situation to apply camouflage as the conditions of the field, weather, fighting, etc. had its own influence on the camouflage of each vehicle. Once "camouflaged", the vehicle would never look the same afterwards most likely. Just like a bride, she'll never be as beautiful again physically as the day she is married. :lol:

I have read only the Ambush patterns were eventually applied at the factory on Panzers and the Hetzers were painted in their unique patterns at the factory.

Suffice to say that a great deal of "authentic" camouflage patterns and even colors would look like sh*t if modeled/skinned on Panzer Corps icons. One of the limitations is the amount of "detail" one can apply and the eye can detect on the icons in the game. Time, weather, paint materials, vehicle surface preparation, application tools, etc. all played in to factor how effective a camouflage scheme was and how durable it was in the weather and fighting and how it looked to the beholder. I can guarantee you that not one panzer probably ever had so much time spent on "camouflaging it" in the field in reality compared to modelers and what we do when we design a camouflage skin and put it on the icon or even those Panzers utilized as monuments and in museums now days so that they will look "authentic". :wink:

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”