Historical Flag and Insignia Mod Gold

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: New Historical Flag and Insignia Mod

Post by Tarrak »

Yes great work Scott. Thanks for updating the mod. The silly german laws, but i better don't get started about this :P, just don't give the game a chance to look proper. Your mod wonderfully fixes that.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Thanks Scott. :)
Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Wargamer74 »

Tarrak wrote: The silly german laws, but i better don't get started about this :P, just don't give the game a chance to look proper.
I hate censorship of any kind especially when its based on a historic setting like WWII. Playing Panzer Corps without the actual historical flag, insignia to me would be like playing Allied Corps without the American flag.
Jelinobas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jelinobas »

Thanks a lot! Perfect for use with: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=35193
lucke689
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by lucke689 »

Thanks for your hard work. You make a great game even better! :D
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

First of all: accurate work! Good job! I could not do this even if I wanted.
I have only a question, to be more excaxt two questions.
I'm not sure which letter is used in the word "Chef-Sache". It should be "e" but it looks like "a"?
"Chef-Sache"
"Chef-Sache"
Chef-Sache.png (8.45 KiB) Viewed 7464 times
And is it possible to change the stamp for the additional campaigns?
Additional campaigns
Additional campaigns
AddCam.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 7464 times
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

zappel wrote: And is it possible to change the stamp for the additional campaigns?
AddCam.png
:lol: ...most certainly the Wehrmacht had no "Classified" stamps but "Geheim" and "Geheime Kommandosache"
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

zappel wrote:First of all: accurate work! Good job! I could not do this even if I wanted.
I have only a question, to be more excaxt two questions.
I'm not sure which letter is used in the word "Chef-Sache". It should be "e" but it looks like "a"?
Chef-Sache.png
And is it possible to change the stamp for the additional campaigns?
AddCam.png
It's supposed to be a "e" but after using the eraser tool in gimp with a confetti brush it looked a little to much like a "a". :oops:

This is the original I made before giving it that messed up ink look.

For the additional campaigns icon I probably could look into adding a "Geheime Kommandosache!" rubber stamp.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

:lol: ...most certainly the Wehrmacht had no "Classified" stamps but "Geheim" and "Geheime Kommandosache"
It's funny that the game is supposed to be based on the Wehrmacht and it has English rubber stamps on the briefing letter like "Top Secret", and "Approved". :roll:
Who ever did the original stamps obviously didn't put much thought into it .

I don't even speak German and had to use google translator to be sure I was spelling everything correctly as well as doing a little research on WWII German military documents. :P
jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy »

Very nice update, Scott. Thanks.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Scott900091 wrote:I don't even speak German and had to use google translator to be sure I was spelling everything correctly as well as doing a little research on WWII German military documents. :P
Really? "Respekt"!!!
Please don't be annoyed because if a Mod interests me I take a closer look on it. And so I noticed something about the different stamps on the panzer_task_window_02_03.png: the eagles look in different directions. Sadly I only found an entry in the german wikipedia: they look in different directions if they are used for state or for party function. The "state" eagle ("Reichsadler") looks to the left side, the "party" eagle ("Parteiadler") to the right side. The left stamp includes "Oberkommando der Wehrmacht", so perhaps this (and all other eagles in other images), should look to the left side. I'm not able to read the text of the right stamp so I think this one looks to the right side (what a nice wordplay).
Please take this as a hint not as a demand or fault-finding!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

And I thought nobody would notice, that. I could have warned you, Scott.
But it's a good catch, zappel.
Only I really don't know if it deserves the trouble to change. One of the stamps, the one that resembles more with the original Panzer Corps, is repeated in all maps.
It would take time, to do that.
But apart from that, it's closer to the original, which was the purpose of the mod.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

VPaulus wrote:And I thought nobody would notice, that. I could have warned you, Scott.
But it's a good catch, zappel.
Only I really don't know if it deserves the trouble to change. One of the stamps, the one that resembles more with the original Panzer Corps, is repeated in all maps.
It would take time, to do that.
But apart from that, it's closer to the original, which was the purpose of the mod.
It took months to notice that.
At a quick look I found approximately 75 images (for each scenario like "East Africa.png": the eagle in the stamp looks to the right but the eagle in top of the image looks to the left side) and I knew this would be a lot of work, so I'll be comfortably surprised if this will be changed.
BTW: The eagle in your signature looks to the right side, too. :D
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Believe me when I say did alot of research on the correct use of Third Reich Eagles. The eagle in the logo and the headbase is supposed to be the same type worn on officer caps(I know it's not perfect), also the wehrmacht breast eagle worn on uniforms always looked to the left. The reason for this was because the party leader, Adolf Hitler was the commander and chief of the wehrmacht. On the other hand when referring to the German Reich as a whole it always looked to the right. The is why some military rubber stamps use the right facing eagle and others the left facing eagle. Their was supposed to be strict guidelines on how the eagle was used but this wasn't always followed. It can get confusing. :?

Like Vpaulus says changing all the rubber stamps to face left wouldn't be easy but I may come back to it at some point. But you do have to understand when modifying somebody else's art work, it's not easy getting it to match the same style. But I always welcome any criticism good or bad. :)
Last edited by Wargamer74 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Scott900091 wrote:Believe me when I say did alot of research on the correct use of Third Reich Eagles. The eagle in the logo and the headbase is supposed to be the same type worn on officer caps(I know it's not perfect), also the wehrmacht breast eagle worn on uniforms always looked to the left. The reason for this was because the party leader, Adolf Hitler was the commander and chief of the wehrmacht. On the other hand when referring to the German Reich as a whole it always looked to the right. The is why some military rubber stamps use the right facing eagle and others the left facing eagle. Their was supposed to be strict guidelines on how the eagle was used but this wasn't always followed. It can get confusing. :?
You seem to have gone deeper than I was. Thanks. :)
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

Dont you guys worry about the direction the eagles head is facing...its irrelevant :mrgreen:
True is that Wehrmacht rubber stamps eagle was looking to the left but Reichsadler used by army untis were looking to the right while Reichsadler at public Wehrmacht buildings were looking to the left...
and you will find Wehrmachts identfication and pay books with both (facing left and right) and government buildings with eagles looking to both directions too....so forget about the rules about party or state...each ministry, command structure and especially each Gau (military and/or civil administration district) finally has done whatever pleased them...
Since 1935/36 the eagle was more and more to be supposed to look to the right > towards the east > Russia :wink:
while before he was looking to the left > towards France (the French eagle always looked to the right > towards Germany)
but any equipment produced before that time (aprx 1936) had the eagle always looking to the left
hope this clears up the confusion a bit :wink:

Source: Reichsadler Archive in Germany
Last edited by Chris10 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Scott900091 wrote:But I always welcome any criticism good or bad. :)
No criticism, not a little bit. Only some minor confusion which you can solve.
Wargamer74

Post by Wargamer74 »

Chris10 thanks for clearing that up, you know alot more about these things than I do. Some of the wikipedia articles I read were probably written by people that didn't have a clue what they were talking about. :roll: I guess it makes no difference, besides it's only a game.
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

Scott900091 wrote:Some of the wikipedia articles I read were probably written by people that didn't have a clue what they were talking about. :roll: I guess it makes no difference, besides it's only a game.
Wiki is a good source....but....the problem with english speaking sources about Germany 1933-1945, the Wehrmacht, equipment and all related stuff is that sometimes info is distorted or lost due to translating process or wrong interpretation of the german source text if german sources were consulted at all..often info seems transported from one corrupted source to another and over time even plain wrong facts may flow in too...
Its the same mechanism taking place as in the ol little childs game called "Chinese whispers" ... :)
wiki it... :wink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Thanks, nice to have this mod updated.

Erik

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”