Diplo v Max Rematch: The Lisbon Opening

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Diplo v Max Rematch: The Lisbon Opening

Post by Kragdob »

Well, If he gets UK and they have Morale penalty then Brits are not able to incur much losses. It all come to a logistical exercise and counting oil expenditures. And I'm not saying it is a sure winner - but if Russia is properly isolated it has a big problem with Germany. Morris can say something about it :-)

But Portugal is a bit problem here so I would probably even resign from conquering Middle East and try to get it back before Americans get there and try to make democracy in the country ;-)
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Kragdob wrote:Well, If he gets UK and they have Morale penalty then Brits are not able to incur much losses. It all come to a logistical exercise and counting oil expenditures. And I'm not saying it is a sure winner - but if Russia is properly isolated it has a big problem with Germany. Morris can say something about it :-)

But Portugal is a bit problem here so I would probably even resign from conquering Middle East and try to get it back before Americans get there and try to make democracy in the country ;-)
Quite right ! If UK take a max morale loss (40 point) , Allies will lose Middle east & NA & Spain & Altlantic seasuperior before 1942 .After losing Giberoto & Middle east , Allies will be almost impossible to do anything in Med . This is what I did just experienced in the pbem with Mr Kragdob ( I play Allies). So after this if Axis may just concentrate to face USSR ,& If USSR's FTR's dogfight lvl may not catch up with Luftwaffe in Autumn 1943 , Axis may has great opportunity to win the game !

But Portugal is a new concept , Maybe it will give Allies more opportunity ! :)
Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus »

June 7, 1940. Now that the immediate crisis had been dealt with, the next question was how to break out of the little beach landing I'd established at Dover. The situation at the beginning of the turn looked like this:

The problem was that even with bombing from a couple of Luftwaffe tacs, the odds were against the German mech actually destroying either of the British units it was up against. Merely wounding one would just result in Max rotating in fresh units, making for very slow going and leaving that nice panzer unit out of a job. I needed to somehow break out of this double-defense line that Max was using to box me in.

Luckily for me, I had an ace in the hole: My paratrooper unit, which you can see here right next to Cherbourg. The plan I came up with was to try paradropping into the hex just south of Birmingham. Hopefully, the para wouldn't take too much flak damage, so with the help of the bombers it could force one of those gars to retreat. That would create a breach in the double-defense line, so that mech wouldn't have to completely eliminate its target--all I needed was to force it to retreat. This would create the breakthrough I was waiting for and give me a chance to get those panzers blitzing away.

The opening of the June 27 turn shows how it all shook out.

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

Good move. I think that your massive air support was the key here. There is not much the Allies can do against several TACs and FTRs in 1940. Your next step was probably the capture of Southampton.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

since it is already June 27th , so time is limited for your sealion . You will probably not able to take Scotland before winter ,but you have to take Liverpool before bad weather . Then the choice will come to you like Joe in our pbem : 1941 Babarosa or Europe fortress ? It will be a difficult choice & you won't be able to turn back . It will be one way ticket to victory or destroyed . :)
Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus »

Morris wrote:since it is already June 27th , so time is limited for your sealion . You will probably not able to take Scotland before winter ,but you have to take Liverpool before bad weather.
Hmmm.... Mr. Morris, I'm a little surprised by your remark. June 1940 is pretty much "par" for taking Paris, after all. To my way of thinking, having Operation Sealion up and running with 5 units already landed by the *beginning* of the June 27th turn is quite early. I guess I don't know what a "typical" Operation Sealion looks like--if there is such a thing--but I had thought that this landing was well ahead of the normal schedule.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Diplomaticus wrote:
Morris wrote:since it is already June 27th , so time is limited for your sealion . You will probably not able to take Scotland before winter ,but you have to take Liverpool before bad weather.
Hmmm.... Mr. Morris, I'm a little surprised by your remark. June 1940 is pretty much "par" for taking Paris, after all. To my way of thinking, having Operation Sealion up and running with 5 units already landed by the *beginning* of the June 27th turn is quite early. I guess I don't know what a "typical" Operation Sealion looks like--if there is such a thing--but I had thought that this landing was well ahead of the normal schedule.
Dear Diplomaticus :
You are quite right that your sealion's progress is well head of normal schedule after France normal fall . Actually I don't think the sealion after a normal France fall is a bright choice . It does usually become to a poison to Axis in the long term . But the sealion of you & Joe which is early enough to launch a 1941 Babarosa after beat down the British are quite worthy . To accomplish bigger advantage by this , you must progress the sealion as effective as possible sothat to have enough time to deploy the units from UK to east front before May 1941 . That's my real point . :)
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

He only needs the heavy units in the East in the first ~2 turns. Corps won't catch up with ARMs and MECHs, anyway, so if he lacks some in the beginning, it won't cripple Barbarossa THAT much. They can be railed later if necessary and it's relatively easy to build more of them.
Diplomaticus

Post by Diplomaticus »

Meanwhile, in the MTO where Italy has joined the war early...

With the pressure on "high" in England, I seized the opportunity to attempt the destruction of the Malta fighter. He's got nowhere to run, so it's either keep repairing or let it die.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Diplomaticus wrote:Meanwhile, in the MTO where Italy has joined the war early...

With the pressure on "high" in England, I seized the opportunity to attempt the destruction of the Malta fighter. He's got nowhere to run, so it's either keep repairing or let it die.
If you can conquer Britain & let UK suffered 40 max morale loss , than you will have opportunity to take Malta ! :)

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”