HOW TO: Create Axis Missions...

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Even after removing the third battle and the sides text it still gave errors for the bonuses. I won't need them in the campaign so it is ok.
doomtrader
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by doomtrader »

pipfromslitherine wrote:+ the icons need to be switched around. You need to grab the UNITICON texture from CORE\ and pop it into your custom campaign directory, then swap them around. Or you can wait a day or 2 and the next update might have one already set up (ahem). It's not hard to be honest, but it's up to you.
Is this file available somewhere?
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Use the uniticons and sides files from BF.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
gunhojr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by gunhojr »

was wondering since i dont really want to mess around with files seems to complicated.i would try it but dont want to mess around with this right now just got the game maybe when i get more comfortable but question.lets say since this is allied campaigns and i want to have a tiger tank for allies how would i change this if possible.for example first campaign can i change the matilda tanks to tiger tanks.thanks for any help
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

If you follow the directions on the modding portal (which will copy an existing campaign, and then adds in some other files) you will have a custom squads file. If you open this, you can change the side of the unit (making a Tiger an allied unit, for example).

I'm not sure why you would want to though :). If you are looking to switch the sides in existing missions, then it is simplest to do as this post explains (this will allow the 'player' to be the axis side). Then you can just erase the existing units and place down each side as you desire.

If you wanted to keep the existing logic (e.g. what the AI does) then you would also want to make note of the Team number of each AI side and replciate these teams with your new units. Note that some missions have scripted reinforcements so you might need to change them too.

If you're new to modding, it can seem a little intimidating, as the system basically allows you to do anything you like (want to add new orders? Change the combay model entirely? It's just a script file away!) but it can make the amount of information a little much when you first start. But going one step at a time and it's all pretty straightforward.

Cheers

Pip
gunhojr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by gunhojr »

thank you
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: HOW TO: Create Axis Missions...

Post by Old_Warrior »

Ok - tried this out but my Axis units have an Allied flag over them (blue with star) and my US units have a swastika over them. Can you help me out?
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

Follow up on this: I was able to get the unit marker/flags back to being correct but the mission opens as with human controlling US. Have added in Sides.txt file to the campaign folder (am working on a La Fiere mission and want to have the human control the Germans).

Also: it would be nice if there a fix to the Slith VP plug-in that that changed the code to be where the number of VP held should be based on if they are held AT THE END of the mission and not DURING the mission. Missions can terminate on turn 1 if a certain number of VPs are held by the human player. Not sure what the reasoning was on that but it means sudden death in missions rather than "end of battle status."
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

I created a Multiplayer version of my mission. Result: US moving first. In a way this is not bad as that way they can set their forces to Hold Fire if they want but I am still befuddled as to why the Sides.txt is not kicking in.

If anyone wants to see the mission you can find the files at this location:

http://myweb.cableone.net/williampeters/BA/La_Fiere.zip

I also may need a bit of help on the reinforcements lines in my script. The lines are correct but I get an LHS error when I try and run the mission.

The mission now opens fine in the multiplayer venue. I am working on the Solo version as well.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

Tested your La Fiere mission...tried it under campaigns but it appeared that the German side didn't move at all. Have 2 MP games going will advise on the outcome.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

Yes, its not really ready yet. Just posted it in case someone could help me out.
morge4

Post by morge4 »

Playing this in MP mode...interesting scenario but it seems unwinnable by the Germans. I know the Paras are tough but taking out a German squad in one shot? and the armor being stuck to the road and can't move off?

It appears it will be a good scenario once completed. I wish I could help more but the workings of the game are not my speciality.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

I plan on adding in mortars and one pre-game Axis bombardment. The shelling was pretty intense prior to the attack.

Remember this is a causeway action. The Germans had flooded the fields if you remember. US Paras drowned in 3 feet of water and so on.

Speaking of wiping out entire units --- I see this a lot at one hex. You walk up to an infantry unit in the woods and it turns and fires on your unit and wipes out all 5 men. It is not just paras. German Volksgren Inf doing this too.
morge4

Post by morge4 »

Old_Warrior wrote:I plan on adding in mortars and one pre-game Axis bombardment. The shelling was pretty intense prior to the attack.

Remember this is a causeway action. The Germans had flooded the fields if you remember. US Paras drowned in 3 feet of water and so on.

Speaking of wiping out entire units --- I see this a lot at one hex. You walk up to an infantry unit in the woods and it turns and fires on your unit and wipes out all 5 men. It is not just paras. German Volksgren Inf doing this too.
Ok, a little arty would help. Yes, I now remember that they did flood the fields. Did make moving armor difficult.

As German I can get my unnits to the bridge but the paras and zook's make it tough to get across but, I believe the Para's did hold out.

Keep up the good work! Once you get an updated version out...I'll be glad to playtest with a friend of mine or I can platest with you if you like?

I actuall prefer smaller battles like this to larger ones.
sraiello
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re:

Post by sraiello »

Rosseau wrote:When Pip posted the sample campaign files, I took the opportunity to create a quick scenario I could play as Axis. It worked fine.

However, two very dumb questions here, and I will lay off:

I could play Axis but the flags over my units were still Allied. What did I do wrong?

When you use the custom AI function in the editor, does that create a new or updated script text file? I didn't see one.

I found the uniticons in the /core folder however on MAC its not a .txt file that i can edit using TextEdit? I looked around and couldn't find a similar file that i could edit. Also I've created a small D-Day map, but now that i'm playing as the Germans i can't get the americans to have any bonuses, i.e. naval artillery or areal bombardment. Needless to say without that the germans easily win every time. i've compensated by putting 25 pound guns on the beach, but would really like to figure out the bonus glitch. Thanks!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The uniticons file is a DDS file, so you will need a graphics editor that can support that format - I believe GIMP is available for OSX?

To set bonuses for both sides, you just click the bonuses button again.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
sraiello

Post by sraiello »

I can give bonuses to both sides, however during gameplay the AI never uses the bonuses I assign them. Is there something else I need to change? I'll look into GIMP, THX :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah - indeed. No, there isn't any functionality that gets the AI to make use of bonuses set in the editor. You can trigger them in the scripts, but the editor bonuses are mainly for multiplayer.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
kevinkins
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kevinkins »

"+ the icons need to be switched around. You need to grab the UNITICON texture from CORE\ and pop it into your custom campaign directory, then swap them around."

What is meant by "them"? Them refers to >1 item. But here, only one file is mentioned. I found the UNITICON file and placed it in my campaign folder but the icons remain incorrectly assigned. Could someone clarify. For example, do you need to edit the DDS file? Or is there a ready made file to switch the German and Russian icons on top of their national forces. Thanks.
kevinkins
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by kevinkins »

Perhaps pip can post a file that we all ca use to switch the flags when we switch over to play a scenario as the Germans. Maybe this is the easiest way. As worded, the instructions are not complete enough. Thanks..

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”