Review is up

PS2/PSP/PC : Great Battles of Rome combined Slitherines great game play with specially cut footage from The History Channel to create a truly unique and immersive experience.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Moltke71
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Review is up

Post by Moltke71 »

skull2213
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by skull2213 »

Any word when it gets released in the U.S in playstation 2 ?
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

No definate date as yet I'm afraid, its as frustrating for us as it is for you. It was re-released in Europe a couple of weeks ago and agin went straight into the charts

Regards
JDM
OldSchool

Rome Great Battles not os great?

Post by OldSchool »

I've read the reviews, including the one on ths forum, and like the concept of the game; but a handful of player reviews from the UK for the PC version of Rome were disappointing to say the least, citing poor graphics and other complaints, i.e., it doesn't matter where you place troop types re terrain, etc.

Boxed sets of Rome are available in stores here in the US, and I have seen several different box designs of what I assume is the same game.

Query: Has the game been improved, are thee any patches planned? I really want to like and buy this game, but I'm afraid it will pale in comparison to Rome: Total War.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

If you are enthralled with RTW, then you will be disappointed. GBOR doesn't have the depth of RTW; GBOR was constructed as a simple, fun but fairly accurate tactical game. One must take any game on what it claims to be and judge it on those grounds.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Rome Great Battles not os great?

Post by moj »

OldSchool wrote:it doesn't matter where you place troop types re terrain
Hmmm. On the Mac and, I'm certain, the PC releases of Legion Arena, terrain type is crucial. Too crucial, in fact.
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

moj wrote:
OldSchool wrote:it doesn't matter where you place troop types re terrain
Hmmm. On the Mac and, I'm certain, the PC releases of Legion Arena, terrain type is crucial. Too crucial, in fact.
Although RGB is based on the very successful Legion engine, it's not Legion Arena; some UK players posted that terrain didn't seem to matter in RGB, and I want to clarify this before I buy the game.

I'm looking for a reasonably realistic tactical game where what I choose to do matters in the outcome, while having some fun in the process. Have you played RGB? Is this what RGB is?
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

If terrain type - eg 'open ground', 'scrub', 'boggy' etc - has no effect then the gameplay would be awful. Might as well be 'Spartan Arena' with the heaviest, prickliest infantry available duking it out.

If the reviewers are saying that elevation/hills don't come into play then they're correct. Cavalry are just as effective charging up a hill you'd struggle to walk up as they are charging down it. Similarly, archers don't have blind spots regardless of what lies between them and the enemy, nor does sitting them on a hill increase their range. Not a biggie really, given that the deployment map gives no indication of elevation.

There were a couple of stated gameplay changes, namely...
<i>* New ambush feature allowing troops to hide in forests
* New scouting attribute for units which determines how good they are at spotting units hiding in forest. </i>
...but I'd be amazed if the terrain adjustments had been (deliberately) removed.

Having not played GBoR I'm unqualified to say any more. Hopefully a grown-up will be along shortly :)
Last edited by moj on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Terrain has a big effect on combat but if you have level 1 skirmishers vs level 10 cavalry in a wood, the cavalry are still going to win, but will take a bit longer!
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

I never understood why light troops should be disadvantaged when out in the open: the fact that any heavy units they encounter *aren't* disadvantaged should be disadvantage enough. If you see what I mean.

I digress. Sorry.
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

OldSchool wrote:Although RGB is based on the very successful Legion engine, it's not Legion Arena; some UK players posted that terrain didn't seem to matter in RGB, and I want to clarify this before I buy the game.

I'm looking for a reasonably realistic tactical game where what I choose to do matters in the outcome, while having some fun in the process. Have you played RGB? Is this what RGB is?
*bump*

?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Terrain has a fairly significant impact on combat both in Arena and in GBoR. In fact it will often mean the difference between victory and defeat....

Cheers

Pip

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL™ Great Battles of Rome”