1914 Campaign: Slick vs. the Privileged AI

After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Zitadelle
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: 1914 Campaign: Slick vs. the Privileged AI

Post by Zitadelle »

Amaranthus wrote:Thanks for posting this - not only an interesting AAR, but more importantly, a superb tutorial to help get people into the game (especially those for whom this is the first Commander game).
+1. Great AAR, should really be stickied as a tutorial for new players.
SlickWilhelm
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Thanks, gents. That's very kind of you. I hope it helps all new players, and inspires people sitting on the fence to jump in and start enjoying this great game. :)
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

On the Western front, I spend this turn moving the Artillery unit to Antwerp in preparation of a move toward Calais. I also move the Cavalry unit to Brussels and repair it to strength 10. Other than those moves, I spend precious PP repairing the Garrison unit to the SW of Strassburg. While things look static for now, my intentions are to capture Calais and prevent the British from establishing a toe hold on the Channel.

In the Baltic, I've attacked the Russian dreadnought fleet with all available naval assets. My Submarine unit attacks first, with no damage inflicted or sustained, followed by my High Seas fleet Battleship unit using its first strike bonus. This causes -4 damage to the Russian BB unit, then my Cruiser unit attacks, inflicting another 2 strength points of damage. This reduces the Russian unit to strength of 4, which is crippling. If I were the AI, I would run away to lick my wounds. But we'll see what the AI intends to do. To be honest, I was expecting to decimate the Russians this turn, so the AI put up a stiffer defense that I thought it would.

On the Eastern front, I softened up that Russian Garrison unit with my Fighter unit, and then attacked with both the Infantry unit from Danzig and the Garrison unit. That Russian unit survives with moderate damage, and will continue to be a thorn in my side for now. My two German Infantry units to the east have repaired this turn to strength 10. I don't like to leave any units below strength 8 if I can help it, and repairing them to full strength will pay dividends in the upcoming turns.

In East Prussia, I've sent the Garrison unit south to Breslau to cut off whatever the unit was that captured Breslau. It turned out to be a Russian Armored Train unit, which is now cut off and completely out of supply. I will eventually attack and destroy it, unless the AI does something to rescue it. I've also deployed a new German infantry unit into Posen to replace the Garrison unit. My Eastern front grows stronger with each turn.

On the Serbian front, my attack on the Serbian Garrison unit is completely successful, resulting in its destruction. I've advanced my Austrian Garrison unit into the gap. Meanwhile, I've deployed a new Austrian Infantry unit to the NW of Temeschburg to strengthen that area. Unfortunately, I've been forced to retreat the Garrison unit the west of Belgrade to the north a couple of hexes in order to repair. I hope the AI doesn't pursue, but if it does, I think I can turn that to my advantage.

Next turn, I hope to be able to upgrade some German units...
Zitadelle

Post by Zitadelle »

You really need to dislodge those units East of Belgrade Slick, and start to develop the 'Nis Salient'.

This will disrupt the Serbian defence by extending its width and ultimately unhinge the entire Serbian Front. :P
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

The Battle of the Baltic has begun!

The AI doesn't run away. Instead, it maneuvers and strikes my Cruiser unit, followed up by another attack by a British Submarine unit that must have been lurking in the area. The German Cruiser unit is hurt badly, but we will have our revenge in just a moment.

In the south, the Serbs continue to make fruitless attacks against Cattaro. In Yellow are my intended victims when it's my turn. I have decided to attempt to attack and eliminate as many Serbian Garrison units as possible, leaving the small number of Infantry units with too much border territory to cover. Then I will concentrate on one Infantry unit at a time until the Serbs capitulate. Why do I choose to pick on the Garrison units? Simple. They are the weakest units, and I will lose fewer of my precious troop strength by attacking them instead of the much stronger Infantry units. As Sun Tzu put it: "So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak."

In the west, the French continue to pummel my poor German Garrison unit to the SW of Strassburg. IMO, the AI missed out on a good chance to completely destroy this unit by failing to attack with the French Garrison surrounded in yellow. This slip will allow me to move my badly injured unit out of harm's way and to begin a long spell of rest and recuperation. Btw, see that French Garrison unit to the NE of Calais? It's my next victim in my march to clear the channel ports!

Aha! Finally, our flying machines will get the attention they deserve to unleash their potential.

Here's something interesting that I wanted to show you. In yellow, we see that the German and Austro-Hungarian war effort has increased to 95% of its potential. At the start of the war, it was much lower. But over time it increases until it reaches its maximum of 100%. This used is to simulate a "ramping up" period of industry, technology, etc.

We also see in this screen that the Austrians have finally achieved the "Industrial Warfare" tech, so if I have enough PP I should be able to upgrade some units this turn.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

The Battle of the Baltic is short, brutal and sweet. The German High Seas fleet attacks first using the Battleship unit's "first strike" bonus, and my Submarine unit finishes the deed. The Cruiser unit retreats to a "green dot" hex in case the British Submarine unit attempts an attack next turn.

SMS Blucher makes a nice stand in representing the sinking of a Dreadnought fleet. Russian morale will plummet.

As promised, I begin operation "Garrison Reduction" by causing severe damage to two Serbian Garrison units. Both are still alive, but are out of the fight for quite a while. Notice that I use every available asset at hand when attacking. Don't skimp on offensive force unless absolutely necessary. Also note the unit swap I performed(denoted by the cyan dotted arrows). The green dotted line is the path the wounded Serbian unit used in its retreat.

I have deployed a new Infantry unit to the north of Sarajevo in preparation for a major attack. What this attack is against will depend what the AI does on its next turn.

On the Eastern front, the Russians have driven a narrow corridor between Danzig and Koenigsberg, but it's a tenuous one at best. I reply with an immediate counter-attack with all available forces. I'm not too worried about this as yet, since the invading forces are Garrison units.

My Infantry unit pushes east towards Warsaw, with a view towards it lending support to Danzig if need be. The Russian Armored Train unit in Breslau is completely cutoff, and is now at half supply. I will deal with this unit in due time.

In the west, the drive on Calais continues with the Artillery unit softening up the French Garrison unit, which was then destroyed by two powerful blows from German Infantry units. Further south, I keep up the pressure by a two-pronged probing assault against a French Garrison unit north of Verdun. The combat prognosis showed little risk to myself, and in this case it was correct.

Near Strassburg, I swapped the heavily damaged Garrison unit with a fresh Infantry unit that contain Erich von Falkenhayn. The French won't find it so easy to damage this unit. The Infantry unit in Liege has finished its repair & rest, and is fully operational again. I will probably move it near Strassburg in order to replace one of the Garrison units in the front line.

To finish my turn, I purchased one additional AH Infantry unit, and upgraded all the Austrian Infantry and Garrison units that did not attack this turn. Remember, units that have attacked during a turn may not also be upgraded on the same turn.
Amaranthus
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Amaranthus »

Slick, a question that arises in my mind from the latest AAR.

When you assault a position using multiple units, is there any benefit (in terms of reduced casualties, increased kills, or efficiency loss for opponent) of the ORDER of attack? Say, for instance, I wish to attack a Garrison Str 10 with an Inf 10, an Inf 8 and a Gar 10. My inclination would be to use the Inf 10 first, then the Inf 8, then finally the Gar 10 (weaker unit being more likely to be relatively effective against a strength- and efficiency reduced opponent). Or does it make no difference?

Also, as I understand it from the manual, if you attack after you move you get a small penalty. So should preference always be given to attacking first with your stationary units (if the choice arises?).
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Yes, in my experience it does matter in which order you attack. You can simply use the combat prognosis to determine this. But in general, always attack with the strongest unit that has not moved, first. Your inclination above is correct. :)

That being said, I always attack first with a fighter unit at the beginning of the war, as that unit will cause damage to the enemy unit's efficiency. A unit that has lowered efficiency is always more vulnerable to strength damage than a unit with full efficiency.

The order of attack that I use is Fighter, Artillery, Infantry, Garrison, then Cavalry. Sometimes, using a Garrison unit is not needed, and Cavalry can often finish off a damaged unit.
Wadi
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Wadi »

I am new to wargaming and am a true duffer. I read this AAR when it provided photos for examples. At the time of this writing though the pictures have been removed. Ideas?
vonOben
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by vonOben »

Hi Wadi

I've saved this AAR as a dokument with all pictures, If I remember correctly :? .

So I could upload the document so you and others could download it.

Cheers

vonOben
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Wadi wrote:I am new to wargaming and am a true duffer. I read this AAR when it provided photos for examples. At the time of this writing though the pictures have been removed. Ideas?
Pics are back up. :)
Wadi

Post by Wadi »

Thanks guys! Need all the help I can get.
Grayknight

Post by Grayknight »

Awesome AAR/tutorial Slick. Though I have been playing wargames for many years now, I still enjoy reading these as I always learn something new. Just bought CTGW so this is very helpful. :)
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Thanks, Grayknight! I'm glad you found it useful. This is a great game. :)

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”