Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars!

Post by ScottP »

Deal brings the two together to produce a strategy game based on space exploration

We are excited to announce that we have signed an exclusive deal with Buzz Aldrin Enterprises to produce a strategy game based on space exploration. The deal was secured on a hot summer morning during the Olympic Games in London and signed only a few days ago.

The game is currently in development at Polar Motion and is planned to release in 2013. Details are still to be revealed, but the deal will allow Slitherine to draw on the expansive knowledge of Buzz Aldrin, one of the first men to set foot on the Moon. The deal secures the support of Buzz Aldrin Enterprises in the promotion and exploitation of the game but more importantly grants direct access to Buzz on critical aspects of the game design.

JD McNeil, Chairman of Slitherine, said: "We are privileged and honored to have the opportunity of working with Buzz. He is an extraordinary individual and a true hero of modern history. The game will sit perfectly in our catalogue, we work in a particular niche of the videogames market and this title will fit very well. With Buzz’s help we will be expanding our gaming experience into space exploration!”

After a long military career in the U.S. Air Force, Buzz Aldrin joined NASA in 1963 and became the second human being to set foot on the moon during the Apollo 11 landing on July 20, 1969. When asked about the deal with Slitherine and the project, Buzz Aldrin declared: "I’m very happy to be working with Slitherine on this project. Not only will it focus on the space missions I was privileged to take part in, but it will also include my Aldrin Cycler concept which incorporates my vision of how we should get to Mars."

This is another great achievement for the Slitherine Group. With an overall market landscape increasing year on year the Slitherine Group lead by JD McNeil had an annual turnover increase of 67% in its last fiscal year. Successful releases such as Battle Academy, the first full-price iPad wargame and franchises such as the Close Combat series have been major contributors to this success, and there is much more is still to be announced over the Christmas season.
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Kreisler
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars!

Post by Kreisler »

Ah, this is long overdue. Not since Fritz Bronner's boardgame Liftoff! (very good), and the subsequent early PC game Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space (not too playable) has this been seriously attempted.

Hats off to Slitherine for considering this!!! Avanti!!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

BARIS is definitely a source of inspiration for the new game. Sorry BARIS = "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space".

It is a super cool project and having had the chance to meet Buzz twice already has been great. It is extremely exciting!
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Sounds cool :) What's the guy like?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

He's a really interesting guy. He is so pro space exploration it drives everything he does - he's heavily involved in the politics of it in the US and is pushing for a manned mission to Mars and is the designer of the Mars Cycler, a revolutionary way to get to Mars with less energy, smaller rockets etc.
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

It's great to see that Slitherine expands its horizons from just wargamming!
doc99
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by doc99 »

I remember getting to 2ed Stage solid rocket development and the Amiga crashed at that point every time
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

doc99 wrote:I remember getting to 2ed Stage solid rocket development and the Amiga crashed at that point every time

:mrgreen:
doc99

Post by doc99 »

AAAAGGGGHHHHH....I'M HAVING A FLASH-BACK!!!!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Don't tell me that you prefer these ones:

:lol:
Tiavals
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Tiavals »

Sounds glorious, I've always loved BARIS from since I was a child and it was the reason I think space is cool.

Is this a PC or board or iPad or what platform?

Return to “General Discussion”