One of the best Ancients games ever

PC : AGEOD's series of Grand strategy games set during the Roman empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Leonidas048
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: One of the best Ancients games ever

Post by Leonidas048 »

Hello ive just had a look on the AGEOD site but so far i cant find any BoR quickfix patch? If you can direct us to where it is thanks.
SSLConf_FranciscusX
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by SSLConf_FranciscusX »

Hi

Can't post links, you must go to Ageod forums, and check the Alea Jacta Est forum, "Help to Improve AJE" subforum, it is on the sticked thread.

Regards
Leonidas048

Post by Leonidas048 »

Thanks a lot ive found it now.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Igorputski wrote: True, but the Total War games and the Paradox games suit "100's of thousands" of fans.....how many fans does Ageod games suit?
You are missing the point. It's not about which is more popular. If you don't like this type of game play Total War, which is a completely different type of game :) Don't complain its not as good as Total War as you can't compare them in any sensible way so there is no point in trying. If you take the logic to its conclusion that you should only make the game that is the most popular everyone would make the same type of game and that wouldn't be any form of strategy game!
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Igorputski wrote: Ageod games are too complex and take too long to learn an understand (more than a minute lol) and thus just aren't as popular or ever will be until they make them a bit more simplified and more player involvement in the battles instead of just reading some text that x defeated x at the battle of x and lost x amount of soldiers to x's amout..... <------- boorrrring.
AEGOD games do ask a lot of players at the very beginning. You really need to print off the manual and have a good read first before you can start playing. Most of their games use the AGE engine and once you get a basic understanding of how that works then that will stand you in good stead for many of their other titles. The battle resolution system is a bit unusual inasmuch as the AI resolves all the outcomes but there is a lot of player input in the lead-up to the battles. You really do need to take a lot of factors into account before committing your troops to combat. The really strong aspect of the AGEOD games is the historical research and various scripted events and "what-if" options. These make the games very atmospheric and interesting - and they have high replayability. One of the options that you have in the "Wars of America" game that I am learning now is to tick the box that is called something like "plausible historical options" and that allows for the possibility of various realistic historical what-ifs to occur. For history "nuts" this is a really excellent feature and it keeps all your games feeling very fresh. I think Slitherine/Lordz's excellent "Commander;the Great War" would benefit enormously if eventually a feature like this could be added. It really would take the game to a higher level.

I made the mistake of starting with AEGOD's World War One Gold, which is highly complex and does not have a very helpful tutorial (some of it seems to be broken). This is not an AGE game either, but it does have incredible historical depth to it and so I will return to it once I have got a bit more proficient with the other AGE games first.
Leonidas048

Post by Leonidas048 »

Hello i would like to stick up for these games as well! I do like the Total War games but they are just quick action games with a bit of strategy involved. These AGEOD games are complex strategy games that follow detailed historical background as a historical boff i enjoy. Even i find it rather confusing to take in all the detail and how im suppose to use my armies do i keep them together or separate them into different provinces etc.I know with some of my other opponents they seem to have been put off by all this detail and know what effect it has on the game. But at the end of the day you have to keep practising the games and read the online manual to get a picture of the different parts of the game.Ive just gone back to playing the Napoleon Campaign game to understand the mechanics properly. I certainly wouldnt want them to dum it down. But to improve on it and have a challenging AI. so keep up the good work.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

Don't complain its not as good as Total War as you can't compare them in any sensible way so there is no point in trying.
This ^ is also a silly statement I see all too often in debates or arguements when one can't defend their position. Anyone can compare anything they want to, you do not make the rules of comparison. I can compare an apple to an orange if I want to and it's valid and plausible.

Even so in this particular debate there are comparisons. Are they not both "ancients" games when you compare Rome Toal War to this game?

2. Do they not use ancient unit compositions and given stats based on those compositions? Archers, melee, cavalary, artillery?

3. They both have historical battles to play out do they not?

4. They both have clashes of various armies vs another do they not?

That's just to name a FEW I could name many other comparisons that fit both of them.

Just because the combat engines are different doesn't make the games totally different or beyond comparison. The facts are that AJE is more complex than the others but it's hardly out of the realm of comparison to Rome Total War or Paradox's EU:Rome as the comparison of the 3 are AJE is just too complex and won't appeal to the mass markets. And popularity does matter because if you don't make sales you won't be in business very long. I only ever buy AGEOD games when they are below $10 as I don't play any of them after I've seen how they work. The strategic gameplay is alright but the combat engine/system is the worst I've ever seen and I'll continue to berate it until they do something about it. I paid for that right. ;_)
Martok
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Martok »

:roll:

You've completely missed -- or ignored, I'm not sure which -- possibly the biggest point Iain was getting at, which is this:
IainMcNeil wrote:If you take the logic to its conclusion that you should only make the game that is the most popular everyone would make the same type of game and that wouldn't be any form of strategy game!

This is absolutely the truth.

Lord knows I'm not always a fan of AGEOD games -- although I love their concept of how they implement strategic/operational warfare, I'll be the first to admit their games can sometimes overwhelm me with their (relative) complexity -- but then, I'm not representative of their primary market. (And neither, it would appear, are you.) Not everyone wants a TW/Paradox clone.

By the by, I don't understand how you can say AGEOD's combat system is the "worst you've ever seen" if you've also played just about any Paradox title. (Have you actually played their games?) Not that their games aren't excellent in other ways -- EU3 and (especially) CK2 are both quite enjoyable in my experience -- but their battle system can't hold a candle to AGEOD's IMHO.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Martok wrote::roll:

You've completely missed -- or ignored, I'm not sure which -- possibly the biggest point Iain was getting at, which is this:
IainMcNeil wrote:If you take the logic to its conclusion that you should only make the game that is the most popular everyone would make the same type of game and that wouldn't be any form of strategy game!

This is absolutely the truth.

Lord knows I'm not always a fan of AGEOD games -- although I love their concept of how they implement strategic/operational warfare, I'll be the first to admit their games can sometimes overwhelm me with their (relative) complexity -- but then, I'm not representative of their primary market. (And neither, it would appear, are you.) Not everyone wants a TW/Paradox clone.

By the by, I don't understand how you can say AGEOD's combat system is the "worst you've ever seen" if you've also played just about any Paradox title. (Have you actually played their games?) Not that their games aren't excellent in other ways -- EU3 and (especially) CK2 are both quite enjoyable in my experience -- but their battle system can't hold a candle to AGEOD's IMHO.
Well that's where YOU and I differ because I like the "simple" combat system of the Paradox games. I don't have to babysit every counter to tell it what stance to take but I can cordinate my attacks to hit a province at the same time. The combats in the Paradox games are easy to read and you can see "animated" results without reading a thing in them. I prefer the animated results instead of reading a newspaper. There's just no immersion feeling playing the Ageod games for me. CK2 there's so much immersion value I can't begin to list all the ways.

If Ageod would just goto some other form of ANIMATED combat the whole series would be more fun to play. We have advanced from cardboard counters and dice rolling and then reading some combat results table.
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

It has been such a long time since any one posted here?

Thinking of buying. So in the year since the last post, what do you reckon, still worth a look?

Thanks. Rowan
:wink:
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

I think there is a demo, but not sure. I dont know if you ever playd such kind of games but you should know there is no trace of any battle action.
The battles happens as textfiles like in the first videogames. A lot of people seems to like this but i could never find any fun in this games.
As i said, surch for the demo.
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks for your time Micha, I'll look for it.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”