larger tables

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

eddie
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

larger tables

Post by eddie »

Hi, just bought the rules and joined up. Although I haven't played yet I am worried about the 1" mu when playing on large tables. Do you think it would change the game too much to use it as 2"?
andy63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by andy63 »

You will find Eddie that the moves Blitz along and the movement are generaly 1" more than the Dbx wargame rules.
I have played using Late Hoplites raided my opponents baggage turned and started trying to hunt down more enemy BGs.
But i dont see a problem if your table is of a size that you feel you need to up speed of BGs. :)

Andy.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: larger tables

Post by rbodleyscott »

eddie wrote:Hi, just bought the rules and joined up. Although I haven't played yet I am worried about the 1" mu when playing on large tables. Do you think it would change the game too much to use it as 2"?
A 40mm MU has been suggested. It does alter the effect of testing for seeing routs and lost commanders, but I think it should still give a good game.

However, I would try the game with the 1" MU first. Bear in mind (compared with DBM) we increased the length of 15mm moves - the length of 28mm moves are very similar to those in DBM. So unless you thought the 28mm moves were too short in DBM for a good game (which we didn't), they aren't too short in FoG.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Many thanks for the ideas. For the record the tables we usually play on are either 10' x 6', or 8' x 6'.
By the way how do you get the emoticons to work? All I get is a word!!!!
Tiger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tiger »

However, I would try the game with the 1" MU first. Bear in mind (compared with DBM) we increased the length of 15mm moves - the length of 28mm moves are very similar to those in DBM. So unless you thought the 28mm moves were too short in DBM for a good game (which we didn't), they aren't too short in FoG.

I have both 15mm and 28mm armies, (need to get a life!!) Page 12 quotes a MU is 1 inch (or 25mm) does this apply to both 15mm and 28mm armies?

P
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Tiger wrote:I have both 15mm and 28mm armies, (need to get a life!!) Page 12 quotes a MU is 1 inch (or 25mm) does this apply to both 15mm and 28mm armies?
Yes, hence the discussion above. This is to give skimishing troops some chance in 28mm on 6'x4' tables.

As the figure scale is completely divorced from the ground scale in both 15mm and 28mm scales, there is in fact no logical reason why rules should automatically use longer moves for 28mm than for 15mm.

Essentially the only difference is that 15mm bases represent 200 men (at the normal representational scale) and 28mm bases represent 300 men. (The 250 quoted in the rules is the average of the 15mm and 28mm representations).

If playing on a 9' x 6' table or larger, then it might make sense to use a 40mm MU. (Logically it should be 37.5mm to match 15mm scale, 40mm is the nearest round number).

If playing on a 7' x 5' table, for example, I myself would certainly use the standard 25mm MU.
Tiger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tiger »

Thats fine

Just ensuring I understand - I am more than happy with this stance, personnally with my limited table size it makes 28mm more playable. Its also good to be able to confirm things - the guys I play with have yet to buy FofG -its a chance to clarify as much as possible before the group playtests.

much appreciated.

Return to “Rules Questions”