Help me with my 800 point Gallic & Galatian lists

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Help me with my 800 point Gallic & Galatian lists

Post by helot2000 »

Now that I've nearly finished a new Gallic army, I'd appreciate feedback on 2 lists. I'm just looking to be more than a speedbump for my local in-period opponents.

Galatians:

Troop Commanders x 4
Light Chariots x 4 bases
Cavalry protected x 6
Cavalry protected x 4
Javelinmen x 6
Paionian LF x 6
6 Warrior BGs x 8

With the 6 BG of superior warriors, this has potential but with no MF, it has a glaring weakness. Not thrilled about a Cav x 6 but the Galatian list is quite limited.

Gallic:

Hill Tribe x 2 Troop commanders (1 is CnC)
3 Warrior MF x 8
1 Family x 8

Gaesati x 1 Troop Commander
3 Gaesati HF x 8

Lowland Tribe x 1 Troop commanders
3 LT Chariots x 4
Cavalry Protected x 4
Javelinmen x 6
Slingers x 6

I think this conforms with the Gallic ally list requirements but I'm not entirely sure. Any feedback at all would be great. THANKS!
gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Help me with my 800 point Gallic & Galatian lists

Post by gozerius »

You just bring either one of those lists and my Thracians would be happy to have a whack at them. Really. You don't return e-mails. I've been trying to set something up since, oh, Christmas? Always the excuses. This Saturday, perhaps?
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians
PyrrhicVictory
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

Well, keep this in mind. Your warriors are Impact Foot/Sword. Other than being disordered, they do not lose out like Spear/Pike. Plus, they are still Superior. They will still be a serious threat to most In-period opponents.
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

PyrrhicVictory wrote:Well, keep this in mind. Your warriors are Impact Foot/Sword. Other than being disordered, they do not lose out like Spear/Pike. Plus, they are still Superior. They will still be a serious threat to most In-period opponents.
Good point and thanks for that. The last time I ran Gauls was 2 years ago and our club had multiple players running Roman armies. After a 1 win - 8 loss record, I sold them off. I have a much better handle on the rules now and I'll make a point to avoid Romans (even with the v2 change) till I get a handle on this army.

And Goz, thanks but no. If you want to talk about it, I'll be at ReCon.
Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Vespasian28 »

I have used Galatians quite a bit and tend to max out on the cavalry and try and strip the enemy wings whilst the warriors look menacing in the centre. Works more often than not.
gozerius

Post by gozerius »

helot2000 wrote:
PyrrhicVictory wrote:Well, keep this in mind. Your warriors are Impact Foot/Sword. Other than being disordered, they do not lose out like Spear/Pike. Plus, they are still Superior. They will still be a serious threat to most In-period opponents.
Good point and thanks for that. The last time I ran Gauls was 2 years ago and our club had multiple players running Roman armies. After a 1 win - 8 loss record, I sold them off. I have a much better handle on the rules now and I'll make a point to avoid Romans (even with the v2 change) till I get a handle on this army.

And Goz, thanks but no. If you want to talk about it, I'll be at ReCon.
Sadly, I have a family obligation that weekend. It's getting harder to find time for my own selfish pleasures with three teens' demanding schedules. Good luck with your Gauls. As usual they are breathtaking.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

helot2000 wrote: Gallic:

Hill Tribe x 2 Troop commanders (1 is CnC)
3 Warrior MF x 8
1 Family x 8

Gaesati x 1 Troop Commander
3 Gaesati HF x 8

Lowland Tribe x 1 Troop commanders
3 LT Chariots x 4
Cavalry Protected x 4
Javelinmen x 6
Slingers x 6

I think this conforms with the Gallic ally list requirements but I'm not entirely sure. Any feedback at all would be great. THANKS!
I don't think it's a legal list.

Assuming the Lowlanders are allies, your 'main list' doesn't have compulsory chariots/cavalry.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

Allied troops deduct from the min and max of the main list. See page 17, right hand column, 1st bullet, in Rise of Rome.

However, Allies must have a minimum of 8 Warriors and can have a maximum of 8 chariots and cavalry. The Lowland Ally has 16 bases of cav and chariots and no warriors.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

Thanks Berthier, that helps. I reworked the Gallic list to conform.

3 TC + 1 Gaesati ally TC

3 x Warriors HF - 8 bases each
2 x light chariots - 4 bases each
2 Cavalry Protected- 4 bases each
Javelinmen - 6 bases
Slingers - 8 bases
3 Gaesati HF - 8 bases each
Families 8 bases

That keeps me at 13 units. I like my Galatian list better. 48 bases of superior impact foot versus 24 bases of superior Gaesati and 24 bases of average impact foot.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

Well, it's pretty much the same list 'cept the gauls are not so good quality but have another chariot unit.

These armies are improved in v2 but still not great. Suggestions:

With the Gaesati ally consider 2x12 instead. Then the general can second move with the whole lot and when hes fights he's affecting half the guys not a third.

The Galatians have no good answer to rough going or difficult. It slows them and weakens them. On the other hand they are no longer slowed by uneven so that has improved. The advantage of the Gauls is that you can have MF. The problem it gives you is it's worse in bad going.

Your lists are a balanced force - which is not a bad thing. However, I think the Galatians are better as a HF force - the mounted will get picked on so perhaps minimise it and take more foot. The galatians have the options of quite a bit of mounted - trouble is it's not very good!

On the whole I'd tend to go for the Gauls with a mix of Gaesati and MF
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

Graham!

Excellent suggestion, I've updated my list to 2 x 12 Gaesati. From here, I'll run both lists and see how it turns out. Thanks so much for the feedback!
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

Graham!

Excellent suggestion, I've updated my list to 2 x 12 Gaesati. From here, I'll run both lists and see how it turns out. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Return to “Army Design”