GS v3.00 news

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: GS v3.00 news

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

The problem is that the game launcher that comes with the MH CEAW will look for a serial number and terminate if it doesn't find one. The installer works well with MH CEAW upgrade to GS v3.0 or a new GS v3.0 installation (new purchase).

The problem is the old Slitherine and Matrix versions since you need to keep the old launcher and have a way to manually install the updated files. Since GS v3.0 is about 500 MB it means it's a very big job doing this manually even if you get the files in a ZIP file.

I tried to reinstall my old v1.12 CEAW and install the GS v3.0 files manually. The game wouldn't launch and it's looking for the needle in the haystack to figure out why. It has something to do with different vanilla game version files and not files we have updated in GS v3.0.

I got the MH CEAW and installed it instead. Then installed I installed GS v3.0. The game then worked like a charm.

So if we can only focus on the MH CEAW users who have a serial number then GS v3.0 can be out very soon. How many people still have the old Slitherine version without a serial number?
mamahuhu
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mamahuhu »

Hello, I have CEAW 1.12 version .
If you need ,I am willing to participate
colberki
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by colberki »

I just bought the Mac version - will I be able to upgrade to GS version 3.0? :?
Alexandr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Alexandr »

Why create a problem?I can give to those who have an older version - download the new version :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Alexandr on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiccardoRr
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by RiccardoRr »

Stauffenberg wrote:So if we can only focus on the MH CEAW users who have a serial number then GS v3.0 can be out very soon. How many people still have the old Slitherine version without a serial number?
Hi all.
If I could be useful, here I have a 1.04, basic: never modded or uploaded. Of course, without serial number.
Goodbye.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:The problem is that the game launcher that comes with the MH CEAW will look for a serial number and terminate if it doesn't find one. The installer works well with MH CEAW upgrade to GS v3.0 or a new GS v3.0 installation (new purchase).

The problem is the old Slitherine and Matrix versions since you need to keep the old launcher and have a way to manually install the updated files. Since GS v3.0 is about 500 MB it means it's a very big job doing this manually even if you get the files in a ZIP file.

I tried to reinstall my old v1.12 CEAW and install the GS v3.0 files manually. The game wouldn't launch and it's looking for the needle in the haystack to figure out why. It has something to do with different vanilla game version files and not files we have updated in GS v3.0.

I got the MH CEAW and installed it instead. Then installed I installed GS v3.0. The game then worked like a charm.

So if we can only focus on the MH CEAW users who have a serial number then GS v3.0 can be out very soon. How many people still have the old Slitherine version without a serial number?
Is the problem solved ? If it is too difficult ,how about launch it first & launch a patch later ? It is so hard to wait for 3.0 !
Kalrat
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Kalrat »

I have the serial and just waiting for the update GS v3.0. So if any need for play testers I'm available ;) And I can guarantee that if someone want's to challenge me, I'm not necessarily the easiest biscuit to crack :) :)
wargamer4321
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by wargamer4321 »

I have a new version with a serial # so I'm ready for GS 3. Please release it for those of us to use who can. :roll: :roll: :D :twisted: :D
Pika

Post by Pika »

Stauffenberg wrote:The problem is that the game launcher that comes with the MH CEAW will look for a serial number and terminate if it doesn't find one…. So if we can only focus on the MH CEAW users who have a serial number then GS v3.0 can be out very soon.
How many people still have the old Slitherine version without a serial number?
What about a new Slitherine version with a plus-sized serial? I have just bought the Mac version of the game this week-end and while it did come with a serial number I didn't have to use it (the game runs quite nicely) and I doubt I could've if I had to as the damn thing has 18 digits instead of the 16 I was asked for when I tried unsuccessfully to register the serial with Slitherine. I've been busy reading the 3.0 manual and I so want to play it. :D
amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel »

Pika wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:The problem is that the game launcher that comes with the MH CEAW will look for a serial number and terminate if it doesn't find one…. So if we can only focus on the MH CEAW users who have a serial number then GS v3.0 can be out very soon.
How many people still have the old Slitherine version without a serial number?
What about a new Slitherine version with a plus-sized serial? I have just bought the Mac version of the game this week-end and while it did come with a serial number I didn't have to use it (the game runs quite nicely) and I doubt I could've if I had to as the damn thing has 18 digits instead of the 16 I was asked for when I tried unsuccessfully to register the serial with Slitherine. I've been busy reading the 3.0 manual and I so want to play it. :D
Pika,

I would be interested in your observations of the manual and suggestions on how it could be setup better/improved for new players! Please note that the original manual is included as a separate section near the end of the manual. Are you reading the PDF, iBook or Kindle version? Thanks!!

alec
Pika

Post by Pika »

[Pika,

I would be interested in your observations of the manual and suggestions on how it could be setup better/improved for new players! Please note that the original manual is included as a separate section near the end of the manual. Are you reading the PDF, iBook or Kindle version? Thanks!!

alec[/quote]

Hey, Alec, I am currently reading the Kindle version, but I started with the PDF. I'm finding both useful, but the Kindle version reads better for me between the two. With the Kindle it almost feels like I have a printed manual (I so miss those). I'm debating printing the humungous PDF. :-) I think the manual is very nicely done myself, though I'll be sure to speak up if any improvements suggest themselves! What really impresses me is the amount of deeply-thought creative support the community is giving the game and the cooperative relationship the developers have established with the community. The game is thriving right now, many years after release. I think that says it all right there and I'm very excited that I get to try it out. :D
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

I have to remind Slitherine that : We are losing interest in playing GS 2.1 anymore since 3.0 is coming . & We will be losing interest in waiting for 3.0 & even lose interest of this great game if 3.0 comes too late :( Come on please !!
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

The gentleman who does the builds for the installers is on holiday. They say he will be back next week.

Hopefully announcements then.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

pk867 wrote:The gentleman who does the builds for the installers is on holiday. They say he will be back next week.

Hopefully announcements then.

Great news ! Just do hope he will be back on time ! :D
Falcon1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Falcon1 »

Hehe, I am a product development engineer (different industry) and whenever we use the excuse that a schedule is delayed because one key person is on holiday and he is the only one capable of some key function, that is surely 100% a stalling tactic and there is some other problem that is not being reported.
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

Falcon1 wrote:Hehe, I am a product development engineer (different industry) and whenever we use the excuse that a schedule is delayed because one key person is on holiday and he is the only one capable of some key function, that is surely 100% a stalling tactic and there is some other problem that is not being reported.
:lol:

It may well be true this time; but it's up there with "The cheque's in the post" and "Of course I'll still love you in the morning". :D
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
bensand88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by bensand88 »

Add, "I am a government worker and I am here to serve you".

I have set my expectations to an Oct release of 3.0. Been there in my mind for months. So have had a lot of fun games going for weeks because I'm not waiting. Never wait. Play! 3.0 has some changes, but they are incremental so... why wait on someone else and delay your fun? :lol:
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Falcon1 wrote:Hehe, I am a product development engineer (different industry) and whenever we use the excuse that a schedule is delayed because one key person is on holiday and he is the only one capable of some key function, that is surely 100% a stalling tactic and there is some other problem that is not being reported.
That is simply false speculation. We have completed our work and approved the installers. It's out of our hands now. It's not like you release a new version the same day it's gone gold. Then you need to prepare for where to place the files so they can be downloaded, making news about it etc. I can't give a release date because it's being decided by Matrixgames and Slitherine.

If you are a product development engineer then you probably also understand that companies give priority to releases that will bring income. GS v3.0 is free and therefore the priority we get is lower. It's as simple as that. I'm sure that if they could sell GS v3.0 as a new game then it would have been out already. Free products like GS will be worked on in the less busy periods between official releases of new games. That means release can take longer than we hope.
bensand88
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by bensand88 »

Please do not see my comments as criticism! For heavens sake all I was saying is that because of all the factors everyone has mentioned I have set in my mind that 3.0 will probably see the light of day in Oct. Its just the way IT and the world works.

So I have a number of very fun 2.1 games underway and am happy as a clam. When 3.0 comes out I will play it vs. the AI a time or two to get a feel and then adopt it as the game to play. Life is good - play hard! :?
Pika

Post by Pika »

Stauffenberg wrote:That is simply false speculation. We have completed our work and approved the installers. It's out of our hands now. It's not like you release a new version the same day it's gone gold. Then you need to prepare for where to place the files so they can be downloaded, making news about it etc. I can't give a release date because it's being decided by Matrixgames and Slitherine.

If you are a product development engineer then you probably also understand that companies give priority to releases that will bring income. GS v3.0 is free and therefore the priority we get is lower. It's as simple as that. I'm sure that if they could sell GS v3.0 as a new game then it would have been out already. Free products like GS will be worked on in the less busy periods between official releases of new games. That means release can take longer than we hope.
Thanks for the update on the update. I'm still plowing through the generous phonebook-sized 3.0 GS manual 8) , and I have to say I'm actually happier than when I decided to purchase the game :shock: . It is apparently a much deeper, fuller game than I had anticipated. Once I've grokked the rules, I'll be keen to see if the gameplay matches the concepts expressed in the mighty Tome of CEaW :!:

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”