PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

_Augustus_
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Collateral Damage to Cities

Post by _Augustus_ »

Hi,

It's good to be playing a CEaW game after some years of not playing.

Please could someone who actually knows how the game's code works or has thoroughly tested the issue share light into which actions cause a city to lose steps?

Strategic bomber attack on a city cause step losses for sure regardless if the city's empty or not.

Other air attacks against an empty city for sure.

How about an direct attack on a FTR unit based in a city by a FTR unit?

A ground attack against an unit in a city, right?

How about shore bombardment against an unit in a city?

Shore bombardment against an air(if that makes a difference) unit in a city?

Does a type of an attack situation affect the scope of the collateral damage(=from attacks other strategic bombing) caused to the city? Or is the number of step losses a constant?

Thanks.
Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Collateral Damage to Cities

Post by Plaid »

I believe city always loses 1 step when unit stationed here is being attacked (by ground, naval or non-strategic air unit). [City has 10 steps; production (if any) and supply are linked to them. So if 4 PP city reduced to 5 steps, it will be 2 PP.]
Cities also take additional damage when changing owner on the Eastern front thanks to scorched earth special rule.
_Augustus_

Post by _Augustus_ »

Plaid wrote:I believe city always loses 1 step when unit stationed here is being attacked (by ground, naval or non-strategic air unit).
I just played a turn in a game where a city was "in red" at the end of my previous turn. This turn the city had repaired itself to orange for the start of my turn. BTW at which point cities repair? At end of the owner's turn? Or at the beginning?

Cities repair one step loss per turn? Assuming repair rate is one step per turn the city had just the number of steps required to be in the orange (was that 2 or 3) at the start of my turn.

Anyways I shore bombarded the air unit in the city twice and attacked the air unit holding the city once with my own air unit. The city didn't go back into red. During the previous turn(when the city went to red) attacks were the same as this turn. So there must be something else going on than automatic collateral step losses from all attacks against an unit in a city.

Only one(the air attack) of the attacks caused losses to the unit holding the city turn. Is causing a damage to unit a prerequisite for collateral damage? Or is there is a separate test regardless of damage to the unit? Does some stat of the attacking unit affect the test?

The issue of collateral damage still unclear. Mr. Stauffenberg, what does the code say how this works? :)
_Augustus_

Post by _Augustus_ »

I'd still be interested in the details how this works exactly...

There are situations whenit is most beneficial to maximize the chance to keep a city "in the red" one more turn. Having only "Some attacks may reduce the city" level of info without more detail takes the fun out of playing somewhat.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”