iPad BA crash on new alert

Tech support for Battle Academy

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

petlowe
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

iPad BA crash on new alert

Post by petlowe »

My games keep locking and crashing out in MP any time I get a notification from Facebook, tapatalk or email. I have hard closed the apps and removed them from the notification centre but I can't stop them it seems...

Any clues as I am also on a short path to a ban...
Last edited by petlowe on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPad BA crash on new alert

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Hmmm. That is odd. My guess is that the alerts are using up memory which the game can't spare. I too have have issues with some apps refusing to stop sending me notifications :(. I will take a look at what is happening with BA to see if I can repeat the issue - although the whole point of the notification system is supposed to be that apps don't need to worry about it happening over the top of them!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. What iPad and OS versions are you running on?

Thanks

Pip
petlowe

Post by petlowe »

iPad 4 28g model running 6.1.3, too scared to move to 7. All other apps hard closed.
2 out of 3 notifications will crash it out while in turn, rolls out of the app entirely.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could try going into the Settings entry for the apps themselves, as they sometimes have their own notification options. From my research there does seem to be some issues with telling apps you really really don't want notifications!

I will keep looking to see what might be happening with the App. As I say, the notification center functionality is supposed to be transparent to the running app!

Cheers

Pip
Mockingbird
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Mockingbird »

Hello petlowe,

I did not have the problems you are having when I was on the ealier IOS, but I had other problems. All I can say is that my problems ceased to exist when I updated to IOS 7 (running IOS 7.03 now). Now whether it was the new install of an operating system or if they had enhanced the code I do not know... my guess is that the code is more polished now... IOS 7+ may cure your issues (or not). I do know that I've had Facetime and email notifications that I've even switched over to and then came back to the game without a problem in IOS 7.

You might want to give it a whirl... IOS takes a little getting use to but I do not want to go back. It is a very nice operating system.
protectivedaddy
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by protectivedaddy »

Once you have switched the notifications off, now do a hard reset........hold your power button and home button in together, keep holding them until the screen has gone blank (switched off) and the initial apple logo has popped up on screen, now let go and let it boot up as normal, now you should see that the notification off is now working, without doing this it seems to store the permission in its memory banks somehow.
kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt »

I haven't played that many turns since the new Metz update rolled out, but from what I can see so far, there aren't any iPad crashes. Very nice!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

kingt wrote:I haven't played that many turns since the new Metz update rolled out, but from what I can see so far, there aren't any iPad crashes. Very nice!
Well we're pretty happy about that too! :) The new release should in fact be more stable on all iPads.

Cheers

Pip
kingt

Post by kingt »

Yeah it crashed once :), but just once.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm. Where?

Cheers

Pip
kingt

Post by kingt »

Same "old," immediately after a game loads, but before showing the moves of the opponent.
kingt

Post by kingt »

Crashes still present, either immediately after turn load, or when writing text to opponent, I don't know if it's still relevant, or whether others experience them on iPad.

Also I have noticed that sometimes the enemy action only starts after the 90% load mark, which is strange. Sometimes it takes a lot for a turn to progress, basically it moves slowly from one percentage to the next and all I can do is wait, and the iPad can go to sleep while that happens.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very slow playback generally means that your opponent wandered off during their turn and it has to play out their 'inactivity'. It shouldn't go to sleep at all though - it's supposed to prevent that! But who knows what got changed in the new iOS.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy : Tech Support”