Spacestations in Episode 1

Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM) Road to the Moon is the ultimate game of space exploration.

Moderators: Nacho84, N_Molson

NASAIsAwesome
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Spacestations in Episode 1

Post by NASAIsAwesome »

Would Skylab or Saylut be in the "Road to the Moon" (Or maybe the Manned Orbiting Labatory, a US Airforce Project that got abandoned), since they both utilized modified hardware that was mean't for lunar landings (Skylab even used the same Launcher as Apollo), and took place in the same timeframe as them? (Skylab right after Apollo, using Apollo CM for supply missions, and Saylut while the lunar landings where still taking place...and it used the rocket supposed to launch the Soviet LM into space).
While I do recognize they are spacestations, they still used the same technology and hardware and rockets, and took place in the same timeframe-and where extremely simple and primitive stations launched in one launch, much unlike the multi-module stations of today, taking place in the same timeframe.

Now, how could this be implemented? Let's started with the obivous. First of all, there ill be a new catergory in "Earth Exploration Screen", titled Spacestations along with a short, quick description (Fig 1). Upon clicking "Space Station", you will be greeted by the standard GUI but modifed. (Fig 2). From there, you have the option to performing resupply missions to your spacestation (Which I have used Skylab for), for to launch a new one.
Should you attempt to resupply a station that is not present, you'll be met with a window that says "Unable to supply nonexistant station, do you wish to launch it?", followed by a redirection to the station launch R&D window.

Fig. 1, Hypothetical new menu screen for Spacestation Missions

Fig. 2, Hypothetical New Selection Screen for Missions

Now, what hardware should the stations utilize?
Skylab Launch - Saturn V, along with "Skylab" Module (Two Parts)
Skylab Resupply - Saturn IB, along with Apollo CM (Two Parts)
Saylut Launch - Proton, along with "Module" (Two Parts)
Saylut Resuppy - Soyuz

And also, a last question, will the "Apollo Applications Program" be inside Episode One? I know it called for manned Mars and Venus missions, more Skylabs and a lunar base, but will be be a DLC, perhaps?
Last edited by NASAIsAwesome on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Spacestations in Episode 1

Post by krgu48 »

It is a good idea with these space stations. Developers would be able to put them in the game - even as DLC, as for now they still have a lot to do with the core game.

manned Mars - should be in episode 3.
Nacho84
SPM Moderator
SPM Moderator

Post by Nacho84 »

This is post is great, I cannot believe you went into the trouble of actually creating mock screens for it! :D

Yes, SPM will feature Skylab, but on part 2, it won't be part of "Road to the Moon". You won't believe me, but the 3D model for it was done more than 4 years ago!

Cheers,
Attachments
Skylab render
Skylab render
tmonolithic_render03.jpg (151.43 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager

Polar Motion
Twitter
krgu48
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by krgu48 »

beautiful :)
SebbiLebga
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by SebbiLebga »

Will we also be able to change crews in space stations in the 2nd part of BASPM? In general, I'm interested in the "persistence" of stations. Currently, we aren't able to scale the duration of a mission, but at the latest with space stations we need to manage persistent space crafts. Can you already share us some information, how this management will be approached?

@NASAIsAwesome and Nacho84: Awesome work, like to have it in the game now :)
Deadmeat1471
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Deadmeat1471 »

Very nice!
HTower
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by HTower »

I like the idea of having to resupplying SpaceStations on a regular basis, or else their Orbit begins to decay and eventually burn up. Will there still be an astronaut on board once or twice? :twisted:

Depending on the spacestation, SkyLab, Mir, or ISS, they all need to have an expiration date, probably a hard date as well as earlier decay in equipment life that reduces the safety of continued use. These features haven't been built into the game, and may never be. But it is fun to dream about.
NASAIsAwesome
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NASAIsAwesome »

HTower wrote:I like the idea of having to resupplying SpaceStations on a regular basis, or else their Orbit begins to decay and eventually burn up. Will there still be an astronaut on board once or twice? :twisted:

Depending on the spacestation, SkyLab, Mir, or ISS, they all need to have an expiration date, probably a hard date as well as earlier decay in equipment life that reduces the safety of continued use. These features haven't been built into the game, and may never be. But it is fun to dream about.
I like the idea of a window popping up if you don't resupply your station for awhile, informing you to "Launch a Vessel to your Station". If you do, everything goes back to normal. But if you don't, the astronauts onboard die, you lose the station because it reenters, and your Prestige suffers a MASSIVE loss (Around -10000 points).
Also, once you launch a station, it should stay in orbit for up to around thirty seasons. After thirty seasons, the equipment starts to degrade, with the relability o the station decreasing by 1% after thirty one seasons, 3%, then 5%, an so on. But you should also have the option of your astronauts performing a station EVA (Which would be listed under Resupply) that would repair parts of the station and upgrade it, either slowing the relability loss, or extending the amount of seasons. Also, in the interseason phase, there should be a option in the Station Flight UI allowing for the station to be evacuated, if you feel like there is a need (Station evacuation has no effect on Prestige).

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”