Commander Basing in 25/28mm

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

pezhetairoi
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Commander Basing in 25/28mm

Post by pezhetairoi »

What have 25mm players been doing with their commanders?
I have some I'm re-basing, with Warrior they were integral to an element and a fighting figure, so at the moment I feel they are too hard to tell from the regular troops. I'd like to put them on a base alone or with an aid so that they stand out a little better (and look cooler).
What have you been doing with base size. 60mm x 60mm seems too large for a single mounted guy (excluding chariots). Is 60 x 40 a common choice? Would it be too weird to have one commander based differently than another?

What are the advantages to round bases? Do they look odd in the front rank?

Thanks guys.
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

I'm now starting to rebase my commanders with the intention of giving them a bit of colour and more space on the base, so a Parthian Cataphract with a LH runner or a Cav drummer. A highlander general with a piper and maybe a hairy a*sed crofter (think Braveheart), etc

I think the general rule is that they go on the base size for the troop type but no reason it can't be a little larger or smaller depthwise.

Round bases would be pretty but impractical as the commander needs to be in edge to edge and corner to corner contaact to join a BG...

Regards,

Dave Allen
korvus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by korvus »

We discussed this very issue yesterday as we played with our Warrior based commanders. After some consideration, it seemed that there were some nice advantages to round bases:

- Clearly different from other battlegroup bases
- As a commander's move is 7MU any direction, it is much easier to move them if they are based on a round base
- The round base gives you some nice modelling options.

On the flip side, it will look pretty funny in the front rank, but there's a trade-off either way.

Have fun!
Cole
bigredbat
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by bigredbat »

I've been making round command bases for some time. Although they are hard to rank with units, they are easy to distinguish from normal elements, and each becomes a little diorama in its own right:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/BigR ... geId=21993
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/BigR ... geId=21996

Wherever possible I name the general depicted, too, which I think really adds to colour.

Simon
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

At Badcon Ian Speed borrowed an army from Simon which included round based commanders and I have to say I didn't see any issues with them.
ars_belli
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ars_belli »

bigredbat wrote:I've been making round command bases for some time. Although they are hard to rank with units, they are easy to distinguish from normal elements, and each becomes a little diorama in its own right:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/BigR ... geId=21993
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/BigR ... geId=21996
Very nice command bases, Simon! I especially like the infantry sets.
bigredbat wrote:Wherever possible I name the general depicted, too, which I think really adds to colour.
I do the same thing... "great minds," and all that! :wink:

Cheers,
Scott
bigredbat

Post by bigredbat »

I thank you, Ars. I have a lot more (Roman, Celtic and German); am waiting for the light to improve so I can take better photos. The top ones are legion command stands that I originally did for C&C, but which suit FoG equally well.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”