War of the World v1.1

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

War of the World v1.1

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

-------------------------
EDIT (21/3/2014)
1.1 Released! https://www.mediafire.com/?qte6w671zaan7cm
1.0 has been taken down
-------------------------
I am proud to announce that I am making a scenario which has a map covering the whole world!

Features that have been confirmed:
- China and Japan are now countries in the game
- Naval units move at a more realistic speed (can cross the Pacific in 2-3 turns)
- Monthly turns
- Units represent about 10 divisions / 750 aircraft / 2-4 ships for CVs, BBs, CAs, CLs / 10-25 ships for DDs and subs
- USSR will treat Germany as the only enemy once attacked if Germany attacks, or Japan if only Japan attacks.
- Map loop points in North America: If a successful Axis army makes it to the edge of the map, a US city on the opposite side will become Axis and Axis units will then be able to re-deploy there.
- Convoy routes
- Japan only to fight China until its army for the East Indies/Pearl etc. appear in Oct '41
- and more...

Screens of the map, more to be revealed later:
China and surrounds
China and surrounds
Announce1.JPG (137.44 KiB) Viewed 18333 times
Western Europe
Western Europe
Announce2.JPG (147.66 KiB) Viewed 18333 times
India/Burma
India/Burma
Announce3.JPG (151.9 KiB) Viewed 18333 times
Progress:
New Countries added - Done
Map - Done
Flags added - Done
Chinese, IJA and IJN units added to engine - In Progress
Axis Units (Europe) - Not started
Axis Units (Asia-Pacific) - Not started
Allied Units (UK and Brit Empire) - Not started
Allied Units (USSR) - Not started
Allied Units (US and China) - Not started
Prestige Actions - Not started
Parameters - Not started
Predicted Release: Early-Mid December

Feel free to ask any questions about this scenario. Keep in mind that certain parameters have not yet been worked out, so I may not be able to answer anything.

- BNC
Last edited by BiteNibbleChomp on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:56 am, edited 14 times in total.
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
LuftWFJ44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: A global scale scenario is coming - "The War of the Worl

Post by LuftWFJ44 »

What is the size of your map ?
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Good luck with this ambitious project 8)
Richard
BiteNibbleChomp

The map is 200x80 hexes, with the northern most point Murmansk and the Southern most the bottom of New Zealand. The map divides through the middle of North America, with a loop system that allows a jump from one side to the other

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

More has been done to War of the World now:
GermanDeployment1.JPG
GermanDeployment1.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 18175 times
- The scenario has been confirmed to start on the 3rd September 1939
- 107 Turns, each turn represents 28 days.
- Weather has been turned off for this scenario (it can't be snowing everywhere in the world at once, and when does it ever snow in Africa anyway?)

OKW has announced that most of their forces have been deployed and have begun the invasion of Poland
GermanDeployment2.JPG
GermanDeployment2.JPG (167.75 KiB) Viewed 18175 times
note that I have not yet deployed Poland's army, so there are no Allies shown here, but there should be about 4 understrength units for Poland
- Barely visible are a Bf109 and a Stuka in this shot.
- Danzig was taken by the Germans on the 1-2 Sept.
- The Axis start with 400 pp and gain 115 each turn from the territories that they own.
- People unfamiliar with my previous work "Panzer Fury" will be unaware what all those lines of "A"s on the map are - these represent country borders. A minor's armies appear on the map when they are invaded to defend their homeland. (Spain, Finland and some pro-Axis Balkan countries follow other rules though)

Germany in the West:
GermanDeployment3.JPG
GermanDeployment3.JPG (172.49 KiB) Viewed 18175 times
As with Poland, France has not yet got its army.
- Paris, Moscow, London and the Saar use special graphics
- Graf Spee can be seen in the North Atlantic

Some more features that will be shown soon:
- Map loop points have been set up - forum only allowed me to post 3 pix :(
- British Convoy Route which if harassed can cause the Allies to lose 20pp a turn
- Italy is next to be deployed, which I will be doing tomorrow, along with Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Spain & Finland.

Italian Navy is likely to be:
BB Littorio
BB Vittorio Veneto
CL Pola
DD x1
SS x1

Full German Navy:
CA Graf Spee (North Atlantic on T1)
CA Scharnhorst
BB Bismarck (comes in early 1941)
CV Graf Zeppelin (comes in late 1945)
DD x1
U-Boats x4 (1 starts in the Atlantic, and the last one comes in 1941)

Ship movement (scaled with the map to be more historically accurate)
BBs will have 18 moves
BCs will have 20
CVs will have 14
CAs will have 18
CLs will have 16
DDs will have 24
SSs will have 16
(Landing Craft and E-boats have the same amount as they used to)

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Italy has now also got an army:
- 3 Italian Inf in Italy
- 1 Italian Inf in Libya
- 2 Battleships
- 1 Light Cruiser
- 1 Destroyer
- 1 Sub

These appear on turn 11 in the scenario (early June 1940)

- BNC
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

By the looks of your Benelux screenshot; if i invade the Benelux with high movement units, and occupy most of those hexes, your unit appear trigger will not work or will not work as intended.
For example: you could place the Benelux units on passive stance, zone the area and script a trigger that all units in that zone become active when at least one german unit crosses the border.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
BiteNibbleChomp

I figured this out a while ago...
The triggers for those units will be set to "If axis units in Zone 12 (Benelux) is at least 1, make this unit appear somewhere in Zone 12" - The unit would appear the next turn somewhere in Benelux. Germany on Turn 1 only has about 8 ground units so it is unlikely that the whole of Benelux would be occupied. Even if it was, the unit would just appear as soon as one of those leaves.
This idea should work with all the minor countries. As for Russia, there will be an invisible river (a minor one that all units can cross over a number of turns) on the border to give time for the Russians to create their army, so that Moscow and Leningrad can't be captured on Turn 1 of Barbarossa.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

OK, the map loop is now set up, and some updates have been made to the equipment.pzdat:

- All units close on the end of 1947 (Panzer IA's etc. are also affected, and no longer are taken out halfway through the scenario)
- China has some units
- Japan has new units
- Italian units that used to open before they enter the war now open on the same turn that Italy enters the war - 9 Jun '40
- US units that used to appear earlier now appear on 1st Oct '41 (this is around when Japan will get their Pacific armies, allowing them to invade the East Indies, Malaya etc.)

The map loop: (Screen explains most of it, any questions just leave a post here)
GermanDeployment4.JPG
GermanDeployment4.JPG (163.08 KiB) Viewed 18082 times
- BNC
lsnoop
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by lsnoop »

Total War and Blitzkrieg elements + amazing Panzercorps gameplay and engine + a gifted modder = the very best of strategy gaming.
I've been dreaming of this since PanzerCorps were released.
Thank you ever so much. Please keep us posted! :P
BiteNibbleChomp

lsnoop wrote:Total War and Blitzkrieg elements + amazing Panzercorps gameplay and engine + a gifted modder = the very best of strategy gaming.
I've been dreaming of this since PanzerCorps were released.
Thank you ever so much. Please keep us posted! :P
I was fairly sure there was someone was thinking this idea - believe me it is VERY hard to make the AI co-ordinate 5 theatres of war relatively independently of each other (Europe, Russia, Pacific, Burma and Africa)

And your wish is my command, posts will come every now and then about how the mod is going (no more for about a week though :( - got other stuff to do)

Anyway, the following countries have now got armies:
- Romania
- Bulgaria
- Hungary
- Finland (Blue Germany graphic)
- Spain (Nationalist)
- Poland
- France
- some of the UK (mostly forts and RADARs)

as well as Germany and Italy that were done last week.

Can't show screens of the Axis minors as they aren't on the map on Turn 1, and the AI will play silly if China isn't getting trashed by Japan to balance prestige out for ~15+ turns

Poland's army T1:
AxisMinorDeploy1.JPG
AxisMinorDeploy1.JPG (166.18 KiB) Viewed 18011 times
As you can see, most of the Poles are around Strength 4
You need to be able to get rid of them all with about 8 units in 1 turn (T2 is 1 October, after Poland had mostly fallen) and I wanted to represent a large amount of their army (1 str. 10 unit isn't a lot of fun)

France is also willing to show us their forces:
AxisMinorDeploy2.JPG
AxisMinorDeploy2.JPG (167.76 KiB) Viewed 18011 times
Historically, much of France was quite unready at the outbreak of war - If the Allied AI plays smart and doesn't focus all on China, they should be able to get a decent portion of their units reasonably strong by May 1940 (Allies get about 100 pp every turn this early, -20 if U-Boats have a go at the convoys).

A major update to the game files to work better with the scenario:
AxisMinorDeploy3.JPG
AxisMinorDeploy3.JPG (152.12 KiB) Viewed 18011 times
Ships now move A LOT faster (Subs 16, DDs 24, Capital Ships 16-20) so that their is a realistic sense of movement (It can't take 5 months to cross the Atlantic with a Scharnhorst can it?)
Also, though not shown, Planes now have about 33% of their base game amounts of fuel. Again, because of scaling - 5 tiles roughly from Paris to London, the max range of a Bf109E on a return trip = ~12 tiles for Fuel (not 41 like it was originally. This is the whole distance from Manchester to the East Coast of the USA and back!)

As always, feel free to ask any questions about the mod :D
- BiteNibbleChomp
lsnoop

Post by lsnoop »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote: believe me it is VERY hard to make the AI co-ordinate 5 theatres of war relatively independently of each other (Europe, Russia, Pacific, Burma and Africa)
I would suggest the following:

1) main menu - start campaign - choose a campaign (Axis/Allies/Soviet/etc)

2) imagine we chose Axis campaign - load European Map

* also show an INTRO stats message (info about total resources - use victory conditios box?)
** (no US and USSR here because we can only attack our neighbours)

3) now we can choose a country to attack (a country = smth like a strongpoint unit) - moving mouse over "countries" will show our odds (example: Poland - 6/0)

3) the player can choose whether to attack or wait one turn (get extra resources each turn?)

4) imagine we decided to attack Poland - we click on Poland "strongpoint" - play a special anim - load Polish map with cities/available missions

5) if the odds were good (remember we had 6/0) we can go straight to the capital (Warsaw) and end campaign (or a couple of "historical" missions will be a must?)

6) also we can play some "extra" missions (see GC'39 missions for Poland) AND get bonus units/resources/technology for the campaign (remember Blitzkrieg extra missions?)

7) DV in Warsaw - load back Europe map - now Poland is conquered and has an Axis flag - we can now attack USSR (odds would be bad though)

... goto 4

... repeat n times

... conquer the world? :wink:

Thus we can get rid of mess and bugs, which WILL BE caused by
making the AI co-ordinate 5 theatres of war relatively independently of each other
PS
AI turns can be pre-scripted (historically: if Germany occupies Poland goto Britain and France build defence and so on - this would be the best for v1.0 of your mod:) or randomly (the hard way: remember Total war and imagine USSR attacking Germany in 1939)

PPS
Of course, the mod should have extra features, types of resources, historical events and stuff - otherwise it will be a bit boring. Feel free to PM me for ideas.

What do you think?
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Poland's army T1:
Well I feel a bit sorry for the Poles, lol. With those tiny units they have absolutely no chance. In your scenario their infantry is outnumbered by 4 to 1, but historically they were not that inferior in numbers. However, I understand that you want to make the player to beat them in turn 1, as historical. Too bad that it is not possible to add the Soviets as Germany's ally as well at this stage. Their contribution would make the difference when defeating a possibly stronger Polish army.

Though, you should consider changing the Pz 38 to a Pz I, or a Pz I AND a Pz II as these types made the bulk of the Wehrmacht in 1939. Later the player can upgrade.

I wonder what will happen in the rest of the world, Africa, South America, during the main events. (Not much, I guess.)

Other than that it is a very interesting initiative. I can't wait to test it.

You might want to consider using custom unit icons for the Minor nations instead of the generic ones of the vanilla game.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
BiteNibbleChomp

McGuba wrote:
Poland's army T1:
Though, you should consider changing the Pz 38 to a Pz I, or a Pz I AND a Pz II as these types made the bulk of the Wehrmacht in 1939. Later the player can upgrade.

I wonder what will happen in the rest of the world, Africa, South America, during the main events. (Not much, I guess.)

Other than that it is a very interesting initiative. I can't wait to test it.

You might want to consider using custom unit icons for the Minor nations instead of the generic ones of the vanilla game.
The Pz 38 may become a II instead (I just tested T1 yesterday and only had one unit over following Poland's death)
Africa is activated as a battlefield in Jun 1940 (Libya/Egypt) and Jan 1941 (E. Africa)
Sth America and Greenland are in neutral zones (with the exceptions of French Guinea and Montevideo)
I didn't want to add too many more units to the game, otherwise there may be too many and the AI will try to get them all - The only countries that needed new units were China and Japan, which themselves had to be added to the game
lsnoop wrote: I would suggest the following:

1) main menu - start campaign - choose a campaign (Axis/Allies/Soviet/etc)

2) imagine we chose Axis campaign - load European Map

* also show an INTRO stats message (info about total resources - use victory conditios box?)
** (no US and USSR here because we can only attack our neighbours)

3) now we can choose a country to attack (a country = smth like a strongpoint unit) - moving mouse over "countries" will show our odds (example: Poland - 6/0)

3) the player can choose whether to attack or wait one turn (get extra resources each turn?)

4) imagine we decided to attack Poland - we click on Poland "strongpoint" - play a special anim - load Polish map with cities/available missions

5) if the odds were good (remember we had 6/0) we can go straight to the capital (Warsaw) and end campaign (or a couple of "historical" missions will be a must?)

6) also we can play some "extra" missions (see GC'39 missions for Poland) AND get bonus units/resources/technology for the campaign (remember Blitzkrieg extra missions?)

7) DV in Warsaw - load back Europe map - now Poland is conquered and has an Axis flag - we can now attack USSR (odds would be bad though)

... goto 4

... repeat n times

... conquer the world?

Thus we can get rid of mess and bugs, which WILL BE caused by

making the AI co-ordinate 5 theatres of war relatively independently of each other

PS
AI turns can be pre-scripted (historically: if Germany occupies Poland goto Britain and France build defence and so on - this would be the best for v1.0 of your mod:) or randomly (the hard way: remember Total war and imagine USSR attacking Germany in 1939)

PPS
Of course, the mod should have extra features, types of resources, historical events and stuff - otherwise it will be a bit boring. Feel free to PM me for ideas.

What do you think
The whole idea was that it would be only one scenario that was colossal!
- With this it is possible to invade Russia in Oct '39, but the Russians will get T-34s
- Also, with the campaign idea there is little room for defensive wars after 1942 in the Axis case
- Are you forgetting about Japan? - It plays China from turn 1 and the Pacific and SE Asia from late '41
- Otherwise, good idea but may take a while (or more realistically, ages!)

Also, The UK and British Empire is now getting its units done and this is progressing well
I will be calling for beta-testers soon (some more countries, prestige actions and rail networks to code and then I'll call)

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

OK, I did feel a little sorry for Poland and have doubled the size of their army (so they still can fall on T1, the Pz 38 has been changed to a Pz2 and 2 Pz1s have been added.

Graphic:
PoleArmy1Updated.JPG
PoleArmy1Updated.JPG (173.85 KiB) Viewed 17899 times
The red represents new units, the yellow represents changed units (most Poles now have suppression for example)

Norway also has been set up!

- BNC
oasis22
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by oasis22 »

hi bnc,

how many turns are you planning to have for this scenario?
BiteNibbleChomp

At the moment the turn numbering is at 107, with 28-days per turn (3 Sept '39 - Mid-Oct '47) but this may be changed in the final release. Am currently focusing on everyones armies so the final params will have to wait.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Many more countries now have armies. The total list of armies on the map now are:
- Poland
- France
- UK (army only)
- Germany (inc. Kriegsmarine)
- Italy (inc. Navy)
- Norway
- Finland
- Benelux
- Spain
- South Africa
- Yugoslavia
- Greece
- Romania
- Hungary
- Bulgaria
- Canada
- India (1/2)
- Australia
- New Zealand
- China (1/2)
- Japan (Chinese theater only, only IJA, 1/2)

And still to do:
- USA
- USSR
- Sweden
- Turkey
- Dutch East Indies
- partially completed coutries.
- Rail Network
- Map enhancements
- AI strategy
- some prestige actions.

Potential Players note:
Strategic Bombers are very useful in this scenario - If you focus on them enough, you can pull the enemy's prestige down substantially (in 1939 both sides get ~110 pp/turn. If 7 SBs are used, 2/3 of this can be taken away each turn!

As always, I am open to more suggestions for this scenario (this does not necessarily mean they will all be included)

- BNC
Sparatacus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Sparatacus »

Wow looks awesome, to me it reminds me of Axis n Allies - PanzerCorps style!

Would love to be a beta tester and try out your map, I have played many styles of these games - CEAW, Civ, AnA (many versions); and I have also done a map the 'Epic 1941' which incorporates some of the pp per turn, being a single large scenario over 99 turns etc; so I think I have a good eye for picking up on things! Cheers

Seriously can't wait to play this so please work faster :D
Shrike
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Shrike »

Nice work, but since you seem to be going for a degree of realism, I'd split the Benelux into its constituent countries. The Benelux is/was never a country and it only saw the light in 1944. It also never had any military function but is/was strictly an economic cooperation vehicle. If the map size doesn't allow it, you can always stick to Belgium since you show Antwerpen on the map.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”