War of the World v1.1

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: A global scale scenario is coming - "The War of the Worl

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Scenario done for now.

- Working on a trailer that I will release on the 19th, just before I put the full files on on the next day.
- Axis AI is known to be quite silly. I tested it yesterday and it decided: "Oh, Russian flags that are enemy. Must invade!" Obviously not thinking that the Allies (me) will get 2.5k pp and a ton of units.
- Beta is no longer being sent out to new people. Beta testers that already have the files are more than welcome to post ideas and potential fixes here.

- I am also working on a top secret new mod alongside this one that will take a lot longer to complete, so some feedback may not be used in the first full release (but v1.01 will definitely include it if it was posted before release)

Someone post on here already! I have been waiting for a number of days for someone to do so :( .

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Sorry, I did not have the time to check the latest beta in detail. From what I read it seems to be more or less ok for now, though.
Axis AI is known to be quite silly. I tested it yesterday and it decided: "Oh, Russian flags that are enemy. Must invade!" Obviously not thinking that the Allies (me) will get 2.5k pp and a ton of units.
AI is truly stupid no doubt. We cannot expect it to "think" as it is an Artificial "Intelligence" in its name only. We have to tell it what to do in such situations. Luckily there are many useful scripts for PzC which we can combine to do so.

I have checked the scenario with the editor again, and found that you are using these scripts quite well, but I found a possible solution for this specific problem.

I would suggest to do the following:

1. Locate the script starting with:
"Instantly ... Number of axis flags in zone 1 is equal to 2..."

2. and modify it as:
- Instantly
- Number of axis flags in Zone 1 is equal to 3 - as currently there are 3 flags in Poland not 2, and you want the AI to conquer whole Poland before moving on
- set Run Count to let's say 3 - as some units may only be able to move away in the second or third turn after the upper situation exists
- edit the AI action to:
"Set AI behaviour of Axis all units in zone 1 to Move To (AI zone Zone 2)
- remove Zone 4 markings from the Polish-Sovet border area (area marked with "A") and also remove the Soviet Storngpoint from the airfield next to the Polish border AND the airfield itself with the Soviet flag! - so as to avoid that the AI would trigger the war anyway, as it did during my test. It is so dumb that it just cannot resist the temptation to capture an objective or attack an easy target nearby even if it is set to Move To Zone 2! This guy should be court martialed, lol!

This would do the trick as I have tested it and worked. Following the capture of Poland, AI axis units move against France, as intended.

However, it also took Budapest on its way, lol, so you might need to designate Hungary as Axis nation to avoid it...

I also wonder if its able to capture France in a short time because of those German Strongpoints blocking the way...
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
BiteNibbleChomp

Funny about all this, as the Allied AI plays reasonably well compared to how things happened historically (except that I stomp him so there are no Alameins and Stalingrads). Probably should be renamed Artificial Stupidity for the case of an Axis AI.

The reason it originally said 2 flags in Poland was that Lodz Fortification wasn't originally there, so I must've just forgotten to change said script when I added Lodz.

Improvements added to make v0.99 (this is not being uploaded anywhere, it is just in case I need to make any more fixes before next Friday.:

- Fixed Poland -> France script in a similar way to how you suggested, but decided to make it "Poland -> Benelux -> France" in that it moves to invade Zn12 (Benelux) and when that is done, invade Zn2 (Fr.), so that the Siegfried Line and Maginot Line don't become too big a nuisance, but will be able to be killed off later. As Benelux was the historical route of invasion, thought it best to program that way (nothing is stopping an Axis player from marching through some strongpoints though.)

- Scapa Flow now 2 Ports so that more ships can use it, as it was quite a major base. Edited the map graphics slightly so it can be seen where such ports are.

- Axis minors added as definite Axis nations, used the trick of making their units open in 1940-1 like with Italy so that they aren't killers when they aren't even in the war.

- Added a bunch of ports and airfields on the Eastern coast of South America (Caracas, [Vichy] French Guinea, "Brazilian Coast", Sao Paulo and Montevideo) that can be invaded at will for use especailly to assist the Germans in an Invasion of the USA and Canada.

- Pacific bases (or some thereof) and cities in India have city graphics like those in North Africa.

- British have a number of supply dumps littered over the map

Also, that guy has no need to be court martialed, as I killed him when I took Berlin with Russians in June 1940 :lol: .

Anyone who thinks that the Axis can simply go on a rampage and win in <50 turns, I am warning you that it is not that easy. I played as the Axis in an earlier beta version and it took 87 turns to win, mostly because I spent over a year trying to take Vancouver from Seattle with Germans that had crossed the map (an event script I had at that time failed to finish off was giving them Axis-controlled US resources of 200pp/month - this has been fixed and so it may not take 14 months, rather 5ish) So no pre-1944 victories are likely unless you use cheats, but what's the fun in that really!

Any questions etc. feel free to ask (BETA IS CLOSED though, but still accepting feedback from people who already got it)

- BiteNibbleChomp
BiteNibbleChomp

Some news:

- Scenario is at v0.99.9 now - just in case I or anyone notices a bug before Friday.
- Trailer has been cancelled - I lost access to what I needed to do to make the trailer.
- VPaulus has added this to the sticky on the top of this forum - :D
- Definitely being released this Friday.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Release coming soon, I hope everyone is excited! After release I will still be updating this occasionally to clear bugs, but my main focus has shifted to another mod.

- BNC
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

I'm certainly looking forward to trying it.
Richard
BiteNibbleChomp

I know that everyone is getting ready to blow some tanks up! Only got to wait another day!

The zip file will be put on this page, not at the top of page 1. I will be leaving a note on post 1 telling anyone looking for it once I have put the zip up.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

For my 100th post, I would like to announce that WAR OF THE WORLD HAS NOW BEEN RELEASED!

This is of course v1.00 (Dec 2013). There will be a v1.01 done in February 2014 for any fixes that anyone deems necessary between now and then.

Download can be found at http://conquestor.wikispaces.com/
There are 2 files, download them both and then insert the Audio folder into the main War of the World folder, and then put this in the MODS folder. The .pzscn and .pzloc go into the My Games/Panzer Corps/Scenario folder found in "My Documents"

Thought it would be helpful to display a suggested strategy for anyone who may get overwhelmed by everything happening:

AXIS STRATEGY
- Turn 1: Complete conquest of Poland, and then move your tanks to the immediate west of Berlin. Troops will come in 1940 to help you attack France, so there is no point in conquering it early. Continue the gradual grinding down of China. U-Boats should be moved to the Convoy route between Boston and Great Britain
- Turn 2: Keep all Infantry and your Anti-Tank in Poland, possibly conquer the Balkans? The fort in China should be captured.
- 1940: When you get them, move paras to capture Norway, and possibly move an infantry from Poland to capture Oslo while paras take Narvik. Complete conquest of Norway brings in 50pps a turn. The next turn you will get a Pz38 and 2 pioneers. Use these and your tanks from Poland to knock France out. When France falls, invade the UK, and then move all troops to the east. Remember to keep units on the 3 hexes surrounding Hong Kong, otherwise the British may attempt to recruit units there.
- 1941: Launch Barbarossa once Bulgaria joins you. Finland will join later and you can use their armies to harass Leningrad and capture Murmansk. Press on in North Africa, as it is possible to break through Suez and capture Baku from the south. In December you will gain some Japanese SNLFs, use these to occupy the Phillipines and Singapore.
- 1942: Reach and take down Fortress Chelyabinsk. In the Pacific, Australia, India and Hawaii should be your objectives.
- 1943-> : Launch an invasion of the USA from the east and west. Take Vancouver quickly to save yourself from a swarm of Canadians being built. Once this is done, you should win the game.

ALLIED STRATEGY:
- 1939-40: Hold on for dear life and survive the Blitzkrieg in Europe. Reinforcing your Spitfires on Turn 1 can give you a great advantage in the air. The Royal Navy should be able to beat the pulp out of the Scharnhorst and Graf Spee. Once these are gone there is little the Axis can do to threaten the UK. China starts powerful enough to launch an offensive towards Beijing. This is suggested, but do not attack in the south.
- 1941: Germany should attack the USSR and Japan the Pacific. With much reinforcement, Russia should be able to push the Germans back by 1943. Japan is more difficult, but it helps to strike at their navy whenever it shows up. America gets a steady stream of ships following Pearl Harbour.
- 1942: Strike at North Africa by building up some forces near Khartoum. The Axis will probably be too busy trying to capture Suez to guard Tripoli, but be prepard for unexpected resistance.
- 1943: You should have enough Prestige to recapture the East Indies, and chase Germany back to Warsaw. Use this to significantly weaken the Axis. China should have removed Japan from continental Asia, so give them a surprise attack -> maybe invade Honshu or Kyushu? In the west, launch an attack on occupied Norway, as this will bring in more cash.
- 1944: Launch grand offensives across the globe, and you should be able to win by December.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Anyone downloaded yet? I need to knwo your feedbacka nd opinions on stuff in this if I will be able to get rid of issues by February. :(

- BNC
floplop
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by floplop »

game crashes around level 20..looks good up to this point..runtime error
smashtheaxis

Post by smashtheaxis »

How do I activate the mod? I followed your instructions, can start the scenario, but it's lacking the custom units and equipment file etc.
BiteNibbleChomp

To activate the Mod, you need to have Generic Mod Enabler (GME). Then set that up to the "Panzer Corps/MODS" folder. You put the folder called "War of the World" into the "MODS" folder, and the 2 scenario files in the My Games/Panzer Corps/Scenario folder in My Documents. Then in GME, Select the War of the World folder and then press ">" to move it to the right hand side. Once this is done, load up the game and you should be able to play it normally.

I can't say I have seen such a crash happen - I used v1.21 and got up to turn 87 (then won the level). If it is the file itself, it may be an issue with 1.22, as most would have downloaded this at the same time as my mod. Let me know any more details you can get.

- BNC
durangokid
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by durangokid »

Amazing project, very impressive. Unfortunately, Manchester is duplicated all the way to Boston. I opened and closed the scenario a few times but it just keeps loading the same.

Screenshot : http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... AtWar1.png

I can put ships or subs on it, they don't seem to care if it's a built up area with possible parking fines. All the best.
BiteNibbleChomp

I think the issue is that you are using this with another mod, that has changed some "Convoy Ship" graphics to cities. All you need to do is to load GME and disable all mods except War of the World, and then everything should work fine. Let me know if you have any more issues!

Thanks,
BiteNibbleChomp
ZeusImmortal
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Multiplayer "War of the World"?

Post by ZeusImmortal »

Well done mate, great work and very promising! Have you considered MP as an option or it is only for SP?

Happy new year to the community!

Zeus
BiteNibbleChomp

Re: Global Scenario "War of the World"

The scenario already works for both. It was originally intended for SP though.

- BNC
the_finger
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by the_finger »

hi bnc,
the game was crashing after the allies move in turn 21. looks like the same problem like floplop wrote about. i have the last patch.
regards, the_finger
BiteNibbleChomp

It quite likely is the same problem. The only reasons that I can think of are:

- Not using a computer with enough power
- Too many units on the map (you're not killing enough) - this is likely to only happen with the Axis AI, as an Axis player would probably be able to have the Allies on their knees by Sep '40.
- Combination of the Above
- Third-Party program failure.

The first 2 have fairly obvious fixes, the last one I can't fix.

I personally didn't have the crashes when I was running the game in beta (It wasn't fully developed then), so I can't give you any exact answer just now.

- BNC
floplop

Post by floplop »

I have a very powerful computer so that's not the problem. there are not a lot of units on the map so that's not the problem..there is nothing third party that is running that every conflicted with the game so that is not the problem.
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

Flags to MOD War of the World
Attachments
flags.png
flags.png (123.1 KiB) Viewed 4936 times

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”