Discussion: which campaign would you like to play?

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Discussion: which campaign would you like to play?

Post by nikivdd »

The modding community already offers a variety of custom campaigns by different dedicated authors. Some are finished, some are still works-in-progress but the number of custom campaigns grow steadily. The downloads prove that to a lot of (anonymous) people, it must be fun to play custom made campaigns.

So to every player, answer the following question:

Which campaign(s) would you like to see created on the basis of the vanilla e-file? Don't hesitate to specify any particular wishes.

This is your chance to post your request(s). I'm sure you will be heard by all the modders of the Panzer Corps community. We cannot promise anything but you never know.
There is a thread for custom units, threads for the official content, so why not for this particular section of the Panzer Corps forum.

Please do not use this thread to advertise already released/work-in-progress custom campaigns.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Discussion: which campaign would you like to play?

Post by airbornemongo101 »

I personally think an entire "what if" campaign of a conventional war with the allies and the soviets would be cool.
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Allied Corps that starts in France or Poland, rather than Africa

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
maho1973
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by maho1973 »

A nice big campaign from the perspective of the Western Allies would be nice. :D
Once the new Russian units are available, also like a large Russian campaign. 8)
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

In general, I’d like to see (very) large-scale campaigns with small core forces again.

Very large-scale Market Garden: the XXX. Corps is your core, while you still need to conquer and hold bridges with aux airborne troops. Depending how fast you finish each scenario, bridges are possibly blown up (hex-action) and airborne units lost or captured, and you need to move a bridging unit to a specific hex to rebuild bridges. The rivers therefore must be wide enough to disallow quick crossing. By hex-action, you could place a bridge hex, one after the other until you can cross a river again.
The whole campaign is a time-race. The longer you need, the more difficult the scenarios become with more German counterattacks and such. Minor victories (lost airborne defenders but still within a certain time frame) will proceed to the next really tough map variants where Germans have re-established their defense. You can turn these scenarios into decisive victories again when you are fast and possibly rescue captured airborne troops.

Battle of the Bulge: either as freezing American defenders or overconfident German attackers, winter battles are always cool in all aspects!

Kursk, Stalingrad or Battle of Berlin in large-scale, doesn’t matter which side.

Winter War, playing the Finns, best with the Soviet Corps addon later.

Exotics:
- defending with the Poles in 1939 and/or Allies in 1940. The Germans must come in choking numbers here that you can hardly win. There were enough counterattacks, so the campaign(s) won’t be too defensive.
- Battle of Britain with mainly airplanes, where strategic bombers’ neutralization ability is important to accomplish victories. Prestige is gained by holding and neutralizing flags. Few British sapper units will recapture/rebuild flags/airports again that also must be dealt with. To spice it up more, sabotage and espionage with German spy units is also possible and demanded in some scenarios. You could simply turn a German paratrooper into a spy unit by adding the "camo" trait to it, to make it only visible by adjacent enemy units (important vs. British Radar Stations). An additional added hero can guarantee better survival against British counter-spy, home guard and other regular units, but it should not be powerful enough to eliminate ordinary units. The spies can be airdropped at recommended locations or somewhere else at own risk.
Arvidus
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Arvidus »

Is it strictly limited to the vanilla e-file? I guess other modded elements such as GFX doesn't count

I already made this post in "Mod Community wishes, suggestions and opinons", but I might as well put it up here (does it count as double posting or spam?).
Ever heard of a mod for Hearts of Iron 2 and Darkest Hour, called Kaiserreich?
It's the most popular mod in the community and over the years it's managed to expand and thoroughly develop a rich (and somewhat crazy) universe for an alternate history-mod.

Links
http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/inde ... aiserreich
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... d-for-HOI2
Wiki
http://editthis.info/kaiserreich/

I suggest you check it out and read deeper into the story. But the basic premise is that during WWI, Germany manages to break through the western front and capture Paris. With France capitulating, Germany puts focus on the eastern front and send help to their allies eventually leading to victory for the Central Powers. Now the situation during the 1930s is swapped, the former members of The Entente embracing a dangerous and growing ideology, humiliated by defeat and a demanding treaty are gearing up for war with the worlds leading major power and her allies, The Second Reich.

I would love too see more interpretations and instalments of this universe and Panzer Corps is definitely a candidate.

Ofcourse Germany would be the main faction to play as. However, It would still be difficult to make a set campaign based on this mod, since there's a LOT of different things that can happen when playing it on HoI2 or DH. Syndicalist powers (replacing the Axis) can grow from anywhere in the world, but the major players are France, Britain, USA, Spain, Italy and Russia. Other conflicts, such as the Austro-Hungarian-, Spanish- and Second American Civil War as well as the divided powers of China and the growing threat from Japan can be intervened by Germany.

I think the proper name for such a campaign/mod would be... Kaiser Korps?... >_>
In the HoI2- and DH-mod, most of the actual military units are identical to the ones in vanilla. Could be the same with a PC-mod, just different scenarios and circumstances.
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

I, for one, would like to see a Winter War /Continuation War Campaign... :-)
iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by iceFlame »

Which campaign would I like to play? Probably Stalingrad...

It'd be great to see such a decisive battle broken down objective-by-objective where every outcome effects the resources available for the next phase. Pavlov's House, Mamayev Hill, Univermag, Rattenkrieg, Barrikady and the list goes on... Each a desperate fight for survival, featuring all-out pitched battles set in the maelstrom of a hell-on-earth urban landscape.

It seems so compelling, as every clash served to increase the stakes and ramp up the intensity as more and more German troops were drawn to the city like moths to a flame. And what did they find? Death around every corner, close quarters combat (often hand-to-hand and floor-to-floor) and amazing Russian resilience to hold on in the midst of rubble and horrific conditions.

And then there's the amazing reversal, where the hunter became the hunted in the wake of Operation Uranus... All in all, 'the Cauldron' is a chilling canvas that could make a very rich portrait.
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
hs1611

Post by hs1611 »

I would like to play a campaign where you have a small core, 15 to 20 units maximum, and large numbers of auxiliary units.
In this way you can play with historical forces and still be able to have your core composed of ubber units.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Very interesting thoughts, guys :)

I mentioned the vanilla e-file because that should be compatible with any personal e-file (as long the base entries are respected) and the modded e-files shared in the PC community.

We also await the upcoming Soviet Corps as this new add-on introduces a ton of new Soviet units; which is a boon for any future campaign at the eastern front. As the Finns are also being introduced, this might be interesting for a Winterwar/Continuation War campaign; or for the Allied campaign in the East as a what-if (Germany lost the war in 1940) campaign.

A long Allied (DLC) campaign starting in Poland is, in my opinion, an excellent idea but then we should be able to upgrade Polish/French/... equipment to British equipment later on with the original unit retaining its Polish/French/... flag . I think that requires a panzercorps.exe update.

I also read here about a large scale Market Garden ; if my memory doesn't fail me, that has already been done.

And about this
I would like to play a campaign where you have a small core, 15 to 20 units maximum, and large numbers of auxiliary units.
, well i asked everyone not to advertise, that includes myself ;).
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Division specific campaigns like 21st panzer in North Africa or 7th Panzer or perhaps Guderian's 41 battles. Smaller scale unit concept but with large maps and maybe battalion specific units. Maybe starting a Battalion commander then promoted up to division command and perhaps corp.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

I am personally looking for a campaign consisting of more but smaller scenarios. While many people enjoy huge maps where they have to move dozens of units per turn i rather enjoy smaller scale maps like in the early DLCs. This allows to focus on smaller scale, rather unknown battles similar like you did in your MPC series which allows for more diversity and some surprises.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I think there is a little confusion here how small/large scale is defined. I mean by (very) large scale maps/scenarios/campaigns with detailed terrain (large objects/features). I still often mix that up too.

http://eps.mq.edu.au/courses/GEOS264/ma ... lscale.htm
Anfield

Post by Anfield »

This is easy to answer, one look paging through this section of the forum shows there need to be far more Western Allies Mods made.

We have PC, AK and all the DLC's east and west. Plus many great mods to command as the Germans, and even their lesser Axis allies. Heck we now have Germans on globel maps, and even WWI battles! All super stuff too!

We have AC and 2 mods? A US campaign and a Market Garden campaign? Forgive me if there are more, those are the ones I know off the top of my head. Now there is also a USMC mod too out there. So why only those? My guess is because the Allies dont get all the cool camo skins and lets be frank, Western Allies tanks are poor compared to the Germans.

Now we know Soviet Corps is out sometime this year, so I dont expect to see a rush on new mods for them till next year sometime, after we all get a chance to play it for months. But I think youll see a flood then of Soviet mods, and why? They get big arse tanks!! lol :P

So in this down time, where we have plenty of great mods to play as the Germans, it be nice if 2014 was the year of the Western Allies mods. As im guessing 2015 will have Soviet mods and correction/additions to the german mods with the changes, new equipment the Soviet Corps will bring.

Oh if only I knew how to make a mod, id crank out western allies stuff, but sadly I dont. :( Maybe one of the amazing modders will add to the few out there. And dont get me wrong in this post, I dont want to come of negative!! Ive really enjoyed and contiune to enjoy many of the mods and skins etc many of you guys have added here. No matter how small or big, you all bring something to this little group of us PC players here and im sure im not the only one very glad that you took the time and effort to do so.

:D :D
Horst

Post by Horst »

Yeah, it’s true that there are many more German than Allied campaigns out there. The reason seems obvious that Germany simply offers the most offensive scenarios. It’s a bit difficult and maybe…only maybe…not that appealing to keep playing on the defensive side for quite some time as Allied/Soviet player against superior odds. Well, I don’t care at all. I’m all in for a long defensive campaign for a change.
I wouldn’t touch the Soviets until Soviet Corps either, but focusing on single, detailed battles, like Kursk and Berlin, as campaign can be interesting too.
A mentioned Allied campaign starting in Poland has the problem that it’s difficult to carry over core units to the next country where this nation won’t play a role. Nation Poland, like France, has the issue that it changes to a different Free Poland/France nation later. And bringing core units over from one scenario to the next one is normally the motivation and point of campaigns after all.

I think the best start for an Allied campaign would be with Britain in Norway and later joining US and the other Allies. I don’t know if the phoney war in 1939 would be that exciting, but could be fine as little intro too.
iceFlame

Post by iceFlame »

Horst wrote:I wouldn’t touch the Soviets until Soviet Corps either, but focusing on single, detailed battles, like Kursk and Berlin, as campaign can be interesting too.
Yeah, I'd be on board for this. Multi-faceted battles covered by an in-depth campaign would be a refreshing change. Bring home the detail. :wink:
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
Anfield

Post by Anfield »

Horst I have to agree, there are major drawback to where a Allied campaign would and could start. I think one place AC failed was to many battles for the British in North Africa. Almost half the battles in AC are in North Africa, and honestly they were very much all the same, and rather dull. :wink:

I dont think doing early 1939 till the fall of France is worth doing, unless it was just a stand alone campaign. And as you and Iceflame point, there are some major battles that really could be done in sections or parts. Something I hoped AC would do with D-Day and the battles that come after. D-Day, Cobra, Caen, Market Garden and the Bulge are all places where it could have been done over 2-3 battles. After D-Day AC has what, 6 battles till the end of the war?

One reason I hope they do a DLC for the Western Allies, cause I think they really got short changed. As for mods, think breaking it up be best. Something like this.

North Africa, British.
Torch, Sicily, Italy till end of war, British/US
Sicily, D-Day onwards to Berlin. British/Canadian/US

Canadians would be an interesting small core capaign, as they fought in sicily, Italy, D-Day to Berlin.

Guess im tired of playing the power tanks of the germans. Think alot of people like me maybe have played so much the challenge is getting a little lost, more allied campaigns were army makeup and tactics have to be different due to not having super tanks would be a welcome change.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Allied Corps that starts in France or Poland, rather than Africa

- BNC
Ditto, would like to see a long Brit cam starting small with the BEF in France, then going on throughout the war in North Africa/Euro later.

Thought about doing it myself, but I guess I won't find the time.

IIRC there was someone who talked about a Korean War cam - unfortunately seems it died, at least I heard nothing of it anymore. Would have been nice...

Or be harsh and make a French cam from 1939 (Saar offensive). Clear the reserve core after the armistice 1940 - then move to Africa as Free French with only a handfull units ...;) You can return to France in 44 with mostly Allied eqp and bigger core.
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

I actually was going to make a Poland/France start AC, but somehow that turned to a WWI campaign :lol:

Then I had the thought again, which turned first to a WWI GC, and now to something totally different (well, you do start at Poland [or before] :wink: )

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Duke_De_Wissen
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Duke_De_Wissen »

Hi,

since any time, i want to make a altanative Campagne about Multi Nations (France, Italian, German), that called Revolution.
Start at 1938 in several action bevor the Sep. 1939, with Spec. Units (Hereos that doesn´t be die) from all Nations how can play in
the Campagne.
The destination, that the WWII don´t start at Sep. 1939 but have a new Union off the west. Nations.

Greetings Duke

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”