[Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.3 (11/08/14)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: [Axis Campaign] Legacy of Versailles-vanilla v0.2 (13/02

Post by nikivdd »

timek28 wrote:My complaint about east Africa was not on point at all.

I barely won the scenario, and it was very difficulty and new. Six tanks only restriction gives a nice new dynamic that puts out new challenges. Also addition of factories as a victory condition makes things more difficult. There is a need for backdrops of FJ units in order to capture all the required factories in time. So as an overall experience despite the same map it is quite a different feel. There is need for blitzkrieg albeit in jungle, which requires good thinking.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, campaign is really great :)
The tank restriction was an idea from one of the betatesters. The tank restriction does require the usage of different tactics, and buying AT units becomes suddenly very tempting. The restriction will continue for a few more scenarios.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
timek28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by timek28 »

In the Egypt counter-attack scenario I get a mine laying Italian recon unit. How to use it to lay mines? There is no option in menu except refuel, and there is no hint in briefing how to lay mines. And honestly mines here would be more then welcome. Did I miss anything?

Also there are A, B and C hexes. However briefing never says what is player expected to do with those hexes. I believe they will be used in one way or another with the in-game message.

As a last mention, in Cameroon scenario I saw a lot of infantry spamming from AI (there was AT spamming in Nambia city too), but I managed to get a DV with careful tactics anyway. The last 3 hexes in the far eastern city of Cameroon are especially awful (since spawns can happen around any of 3 city hexes). I had to battle 6 infantry units around the city as well as 3 3 inch AA guns in last 2 turns.
Wildthing
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Wildthing »

If i remember right, the mine-layer needs to be placed on A,B and C to place mines to a hex adjected. I works automatically in your next turn, if he survived :-)

I played the scenario a long time ago, its possible, that i am wrong, please try or wait for Nico.

greets, Wild
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

You probably overlooked the ingame message.
The Italian recon unit at hex (17,11), has been upgraded to lay minefields. Station the unit on a hex marked with A, and the following turn three minefields will appear on the adjacent hexes marked with B.
The unit spawn in the Cameroon mission is solved for the next update.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Any news on the update to Cameroon mission? I also mentioned Swakopmund and its perils. The scenario is very similar to the Dunkirk in a way. The enemy is heavily entrenched, it's defensive positions are almost perfect in alignment. I tried different air unit combinations. Varying from 3 Fw 190 and 2 4 star strat bombers and 1 SE ME 110, to 3 FW190, 2 HS 119 and 1 SE ME 110. Whichever combination I choose or tactic I deploy it is very very hard to win this scenario and enemy AA always takes toll on my planes no matter how careful I am.

Every strong point is organized more or less without flaws. Well hidden and heavily entrenched AA gun, heavily entrenched infantry and couple of tanks lurking here and there with artillery also behind. In the city itself there are 2 artillery pieces, 1 long range fort (this is a bummer really) and a bunker (all at max entrenchment). The AA guns are the worst problem, they are very well hidden, and hard to flank to. And without heavy plane bombardment it is impossible to win this scenario as 2 arty given by airdrops are not enough to blast through defenses.

The only thing that comes to my mind right now is maybe trying to swing sharply from the south and left across the river, as that is maybe the only weak spot in the defense. I learned that most of LoV scenarios have some kind of a gap in deference, but it takes usually several scenario restarts to understand them and exploit them. Good example is Ethiopia scenario which was much tougher then anticipated. I tried that scenario at least 6 times before I got the right unit combination :(
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

I had BNC's stormtroopers breathing down my neck ;)

I think i should be able to solve the Swakopmund mission by allowing some additional ground units at the deployment phase.

Both tweaked scenarios will be upped during the weekend.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Thank you very much :) :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Updates to scenarios Cameroon (Douala) and Swakupmund.
- Cameroon: no more AI spawning, prestige per turn slightly raised
- Swakopmund: AI spawning limited, ground deployment hexes enabled, number of core units to deploy slightly augmented (and now you can deploy all of your SE units!), prestige per turn slightly raised
Both updates will be part of the next update. For now grab the attachment from this post.
Cameroon_Swakopmund.rar
(10.18 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by iceFlame »

nikivdd wrote:Updates to scenarios Cameroon (Douala) and Swakupmund.
I haven't tried this mod, but I just want to say the response to feedback is nothing less than excellent. Great job nikki, and thank you for being so involved with your work! :)
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

iceFlame wrote:
nikivdd wrote:Updates to scenarios Cameroon (Douala) and Swakupmund.
I haven't tried this mod, but I just want to say the response to feedback is nothing less than excellent. Great job nikki, and thank you for being so involved with your work! :)
I'd say that it works both ways and it is always a pleasure to implement propositions.

I wonder what the response will be if i release something through Slitherine.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

How about creating more often campaign chapters, like the DLCs by year, instead of a chain of endless scenarios if a campaign is longer than 15-20 scenarios?
This would be make it more attractive to (re)start or replay favourite years/chapters, easier for you to handle campaign paths and won't make it necessary for players to keep savedgames for possible later paths. It’s also more savedgame compatible if someone (*cough*) makes changes to the game that are hard/impossible to hexedit in savedgames, like a modifications to the movement.pzdat file which file is hammered into the savedgame and won’t be updated between scenarios but between DLC/campaign chapters.
When you finish one chapter, the poor players don’t have to wait so long to play your stuff either! :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

DLC chapters are indeed easier to handle and do have certain advantages. I can assume that i have gained some experience in campaign making, that i would like to put my knowledge to the test. I hope to present something to Slitherine later this year.
iceFlame

Post by iceFlame »

nikivdd wrote:DLC chapters are indeed easier to handle and do have certain advantages. I can assume that i have gained some experience in campaign making, that i would like to put my knowledge to the test. I hope to present something to Slitherine later this year.
Sounds interesting. Best of luck with that. :)
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Nikki,

The modifications for Swakopmund and Cameroon made those scenarios just playable enough :) Swakopmund proved to be easier then Cameroon. I finished Swakomund 2 turns before the final turn (I could have dreamed of this prior to this update). While Cameroon still proved to be a challenge, mainly because last city of 3 hexes is difficult to conquer as only the third hex has to be conquered for a DV. Continuing into Egypt counterattack now.

Btw. I will most definitely take a (forced) break from the game once I finish LoV. I'm basically playing no other game besides PC or reading or exercising or anything. I have bunch of steam games waiting to be tried out, and I'm even not touching BF4 multiplayer which is pretty fun game. I doubt that I will find any fun in playing a new campaign right away after LoV, as I'm starting to feel repetitive nature of the conquering and replacing units over and over again :(
timek28

Post by timek28 »

What are DV conditions for scenario Adlerangriff44? It states saving all V1 sites and ingame messages? I understand for a DV that I have to destroy all allied ships on hexes marked with A as well as all allied ground defenses on hexes marked B? If so what is the MV condition, and what is the difference in prestige gained between DV and MV?

I tried really hard to accomplish all requirements for the DV in this scenario but it has gotten ridiculous. Destroying two AA batteries close to London is almost impossible as there is constant fire from London 3.7 AA which lays havoc on my strategic bombers and fighters that accompany them. On the top of that allied planes never vanish. They just keep reappearing no matter how many of them I down. While this may be right modeling of grueling defense against Germans in British sky I find destroying two of AA batteries closest to London to be just a mean objective. There is no way to suppress those batteries from ships as they are too far inland. And if I try to suppress them with strategic bombers then London AA annihilates my planes. Not to mention that my planes at that moment (20+ turns) are already battered by constant fights with allied planes. Maybe V1 could do something more, but I lost 5 of them due to bad weather as they lost fuel unable to pinpoint targets?!? Also 2 ground deployment points are not enough as there is possibility to put SE units into action, but why restrict deployment zones to 2 hexes only?

Anyways I played this scenario for some 5.5 hours now, and as usual on the first try I lost badly. And when something like this happens I feel as playing on this kind of difficulty just doesn't pay off... :( Maybe it is (lack of) my skill... It is hard to stay concentrated for 5-6 hours of game, and these kinds of scenarios are brutally demanding in that regard.

Are any of your newer mods Niki (or the ones that you sent me) shorter in scenario time and unit number then LoV? I'm starting to loose patience here :(
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

If after the beta test, i hear that the mission is doable, so why should i doubt the assessment. Anyway, it is a tough mission and i can trim it down easily. I'll see what i can do and post the new version afterwards. A large core army and the enormity of this campaign stand for a lot of unpredictable variables. Considering all the factors, it has been a learning school.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Well depends who the beta-testers where and the range of skill that they posses.

I really like the campaign but the scenarios are pounding player one after another with no let down in difficulty (not to mention that scenarios are enormously long) so it is really nerve wrecking. Of course I chose to play this campaign so there is no justice in me complaining about it. But I think that it is intended for above average players who have lots of playing experience and lots of free time to puzzle through scenarios carefully for hours and hours. After 3-4 hours I just loose patience seeing Tempest after Tempest reappearing with no ending in sight. I have around 10+ bombers (core + aux) to watch for every time and if I let any of them unprotected here comes the spitfire or several of them out of nowhere no matter how many of them I downed before. So basically one small mistake easily ruins the whole campaign no matter how good you played before. There is just no let down in this scenario (in prior scenarios allies had 2-3 waves of planes but clear skies after that).

As far as distant AA batteries go, i would like to hear how beta-testers dealt with that AND with London AA that just waits to trap your strategic bombers. IMO the only way to handle this scenario is perfect steady and very well coordinated play. Preserving all German ships at max strength until all of the allied fleet is destroyed from air (avoiding sea skirmishes completely), and only after that attack with ships the London area so I can suppress all AA batteries in and around London in order to kill two AAs south of London.

Yeah come to think of it it is doable but a very long process that needs perfect concentration.

p.s: don't decrease the difficulty of this scenario. I will DV anyways, it just takes time and repetition...
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

I do recall that i managed to knock out most AA with striking it with a V1 and then with a tactical bomber at the same turn. But i will make a few minor changes, as decreasing AI prestige per turn and removing an AA gun near London, as that target lays in the crossfire of multiple AA guns.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Adlerangriff44.rar
(14.63 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
A tweaked version of Adlerangriff 44.
timek28

Post by timek28 »

Thanks a lot Niki as always:)

In fact I replayed Egypt counter attack first. I do believe now that every scenario is doable, it is just that fatigue gets me sometimes and that is the moment when I lose patience. I found out that forced playing day after day and hour after hour really gets me. So now I try to create breaks every other day. I play 1 day then pause 1. In that way I am able to think strategy for next scenario in more detail and realize my mistakes much better then when I'm trying to rush everything. Also that is when I regenerate motivation.

This game definitely takes time and patience...

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”