Maximum Map size

Moderator: Pandora Moderators

Sapiento
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Maximum Map size

Post by Sapiento »

The largest map size is now 56x56. Wasn't there a bigger size in the previous versions? 96x96 or similar?
azpops
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Maximum Map size

Post by azpops »

I too have noticed that the maps are smaller. I would like a return to the larger maps.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

We changed them to deliver a more consistent experience. If you would like bigger ones you can change values in Data/World/WorldParameters.xml (after copying it to the user data folder as described in the read me).
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios
Apheirox
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Apheirox »

This is straying slightly off topic but still relevant: I want to reiterate that the end-game techs (late Mechanization and all of Transcendance Era techs) remain too inexpensive. Population grows exponentially and much faster than the costs of techs do. When the game opens, there could easily be situations where a tech might take as much as 8 turns to research if you beelined a bit. Late game, techs will always take only one or two turns because of the huge amount of beakers one produces at that point. This can even create the late-game problem that scientists become useless (!) because you're producing more science/turn than the techs cost anyway, meaning everything produced is simply wasted. This can create bizarre situations where optimal play is to bulldoze even the best science cities to replace everything with Energy Parks or mountains.

I think tech costs should still be looked at and possibly readjusted. With slower tech progress, larger maps (I know many people enjoy playing absolutely huge map in 4X games, and Pandora currently can't deliver that very well) would also be more feasible. Having a 'slow tech progression' game option would also be a welcome feature that would similarly validate playing very large maps.
SSLConf_Stalker0
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SSLConf_Stalker0 »

Apheirox wrote:This is straying slightly off topic but still relevant: I want to reiterate that the end-game techs (late Mechanization and all of Transcendance Era techs) remain too inexpensive. Population grows exponentially and much faster than the costs of techs do. When the game opens, there could easily be situations where a tech might take as much as 8 turns to research if you beelined a bit.
I think there is something to be said here, I too have noticed that by endgame I am getting a tech per turn as a matter of course. It makes scientists weaker, and also undervalues earlier techs. There is no benefit to "backfilling" techs when I can get a transcendence tech for the same number of turns.

There are a few of paths you can go with this:

1) Increase the cost of Transcendence Techs
2) Reduce the percentage required for Science Victory (in the event that the more expensive techs makes the SV too difficult).
3) Allow science overflow. If I have enough science to get two cheap techs, allow me to get both techs in 1 turn.
SSLConf_Stalker0
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SSLConf_Stalker0 »

Another consideration is the growth model in late game.

Right now, the growth number needed for a new person increases with each pop....until it hits 120, then it remains static for the rest of the game. What happens then is the population number surges and you get a very very fast spike in productivity.
mara
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mara »

I'd also like a "Super Huge" map size built in.

Also, IMHO victories come fairly early as it is, I'd prefer an option that ends the game at 100% military between allied members. Is there a way to mod that in?
Sapiento

Post by Sapiento »

SephiRok wrote:We changed them to deliver a more consistent experience. If you would like bigger ones you can change values in Data/World/WorldParameters.xml (after copying it to the user data folder as described in the read me).
Thank you! I had already changed it myself, but hadn't been entirely sure if my memory had tricked me with the sizes.
Rossthegreat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rossthegreat »

SephiRok wrote:We changed them to deliver a more consistent experience. If you would like bigger ones you can change values in Data/World/WorldParameters.xml (after copying it to the user data folder as described in the read me).
Uhh I'm not sure.. I just opened the world parameters xml in world folder and then changed 56x56 to 106x106, is that all I need to do? And i don't know what user data folder you mean..
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

I prefer Huge too, with slower pace, to feel more being on a planet, that is long to devellop.
I usually prefer playing like intended by the devs, but I didn't like Medium/Medium for it was rather feeling like being on one of the moon of the planet.
SephiRok
Proxy Studios
Proxy Studios

Post by SephiRok »

Rossthegreat wrote:
Uhh I'm not sure.. I just opened the world parameters xml in world folder and then changed 56x56 to 106x106, is that all I need to do? And i don't know what user data folder you mean..
Yes, but see note about modding below.

3 User Data
================================================================================

User data such as saved games, screen shots, configuration and log files are
stored in the following locations:

* Windows Vista/7:
"%APPDATA%\Proxy Studios\Pandora\"

* Windows XP:
"%APPDATA%\Proxy Studios\Pandora\"

* Mac OS X:
"/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Proxy Studios/Pandora/"

* Linux:
"/home/<user>/.config/Proxy Studios/Pandora/"

The Steam version stores saved games in a different location to support the
Steam Cloud:

* Steam:
"<installation directory>/cache/cloud/"

Due to multi-platform syncing limitations, the Steam Cloud system requires all
files and directories to have lowercase names. Failure to comply may prevent the
Steam Cloud from working properly and may clear all files from the cloud. Please
be very careful if you modify the contents of this directory manually,
especially on case-sensitive filesystems like those normally found on Linux.

4 Modding
================================================================================

The "Data/" directory in the installation directory is managed by the updater,
do not modify it. Any added or modified files may be deleted or replaced.

For modifications create a "Data/" directory with the same structure in the user
data directory outlined above. Files placed there will be loaded instead of
their distributed equivalents.
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer
Proxy Studios

Return to “Pandora : Public Beta”