what, how and why mods

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Re: what, how and why mods

Post by enric »

LandMarine47 wrote:Hello Enric. Since you like MP games how would you respond to making pillboxes a living unit? Like I said before they will be stationary, and can only be destroyed with Charges or Tanks. They have a very deadly fire rate against infantry and, when combined with Trenches, you can make a mini Westwall/Siegefried Line! :D
Pillboxes are like bunkers no?
You mean a unit that can't move out the bunker, and may only be destroyed by tanks or charges?
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Well I bit like that. Think some MGs inside a bunker. Something like that that can only be destroyed by charges
enric

Post by enric »

LandMarine47 wrote:Well I bit like that. Think some MGs inside a bunker. Something like that that can only be destroyed by charges
I was trying something related but I found I can't advance:
Units inside the bunkers, have the ilogical possibility to fire in any direction, I can't find a way to avoid this, I think a Pillbox should not be able to fire in every direction, right?
This is the first step.
Something like that that can only be destroyed by charges
And flamethrowers ?,also a bazooka...
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Yes I agree that the Pillbox can only face a one direction. Gottalove88s has a code for this in his Dieppe map. Perhaps ask him? And flamethrowers and Bazookas can destroy them as well. There can also be AT Pillboxes as well
jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 »

Cavehobbit posted a link to this thread, which I had not read in quite some time. Enric you definitely do a fine job with modifications and also the description of them with documentation, its very nice.

I was wondering of course if you could help me. I need a function with button icon for another Engineer function: Blow Up Bridge.
I think I may try myself but it would probably take me 50 hours to fumble through terra-form and pontoon mash-ups, lol.
Maybe it is something you could knock out fairly quickly if you had a moment.

I was thinking the number of charges and the time (turns) it takes to blow the bridge (how many turns to "lay charges", similar to laying down the pontoon) could be clearly located in the .BSF file such that those could be adjusted to taste for a scenario. I'd actually like to not exclude other structures with the function, if possible. Such that engineers can blow up any physical object in an adjacent hex, such as a house or a fortification.
enric

Post by enric »

jcb989 wrote:Cavehobbit posted a link to this thread, which I had not read in quite some time. Enric you definitely do a fine job with modifications and also the description of them with documentation, its very nice.

I was wondering of course if you could help me. I need a function with button icon for another Engineer function: Blow Up Bridge.
I think I may try myself but it would probably take me 50 hours to fumble through terra-form and pontoon mash-ups, lol.
Maybe it is something you could knock out fairly quickly if you had a moment.

I was thinking the number of charges and the time (turns) it takes to blow the bridge (how many turns to "lay charges", similar to laying down the pontoon) could be clearly located in the .BSF file such that those could be adjusted to taste for a scenario. I'd actually like to not exclude other structures with the function, if possible. Such that engineers can blow up any physical object in an adjacent hex, such as a house or a fortification.
I've no tried this but I think that modifying my PONTOONS.BSF script could it be done without much changes.
My approach will be, first duplicate the PONTOONS.BSF, change the name, and make changes until you get the functionality.
In the PONTOONS.BSF is defined how many turns (actions) will take to finalize the action: place or remove the object (the pontoon). You can adjust this.
The scripts also creates and invisible object that keep the number of actions made on the objet to be placed or removed. This could be improved putting the data on the object to be removed but you can leave as it is to avoid complications.
The scrip also checks that the tile where you want to make the action, where the engineer will place the pontoon, is WATER. In that case, the new scrip should check that there is a pontoon, or a bridge, or the object you want to blow up in the tile.
To remove and object see the HEDGEROW.BSF there the removed objet is the Hedgerow.
Making scrips for BA always take a lot of time, debugging is near inexistent, and to check variable values, at any point, is very complicated.
I do not discard to create such script action but not in the immediate future, sorry.
HIH
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

Thanks for the pointers, they are helpful.
Brummbar44
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Brummbar44 »

I'd like to incorporate your Leader concept Enric, where can I find the script for that specifically? How do I use it? How can I modify it (WWI Highland Piper mod)?

Thanks for the great work btw!
enric

Post by enric »

Brummbar44 wrote:I'd like to incorporate your Leader concept Enric, where can I find the script for that specifically? How do I use it? How can I modify it (WWI Highland Piper mod)?

The leaders are build in different places:
SQUAD.CSV: I added several attributes to units there

Then there are the scripts for ACTIONS:
RALLY.BSF (this is a BA original but modified)
RADIO.BSF
DRILL.BSF (this is a BA original but modified)
---
PROMO.BSF
---
You need to copy also the actions icons that use the leaders

And finally (if I remember well) there are several functions in E_FUNCTIONS, that you might call to create o give a different level to a Leader.

I know, it's not easy to deal with if you're not "comfortable" with scripting,
The better approach is duplicate one of my scenarios and modify things until you get the result you expected.
Don't worry to ask me if you've doubts.
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit »

enric wrote:
Brummbar44 wrote:I'd like to incorporate your Leader concept Enric, where can I find the script for that specifically? How do I use it? How can I modify it (WWI Highland Piper mod)?

The leaders are build in different places:
SQUAD.CSV: I added several attributes to units there

Then there are the scripts for ACTIONS:
RALLY.BSF (this is a BA original but modified)
RADIO.BSF
DRILL.BSF (this is a BA original but modified)
---
PROMO.BSF
---
You need to copy also the actions icons that use the leaders

And finally (if I remember well) there are several functions in E_FUNCTIONS, that you might call to create o give a different level to a Leader.

I know, it's not easy to deal with if you're not "comfortable" with scripting,
The better approach is duplicate one of my scenarios and modify things until you get the result you expected.
Don't worry to ask me if you've doubts.
Brummbar, if you want a modified version of Enric's fantastic Leaders script, I've scripted my leaders to rally only. No radio or drill, and I set the level of the leader manually. Plus my leaders can rally any unit, not just a specific unit type. You'll find the scripts in my FGH'40 Tourney map pack.
If you need some help, just ask.
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Thanks Gents,

Great job on these Enric and yes, I'm just looking for Rally at this point so thanks cavehobbit, sounds like yours will fit the bill

I'll have a look and let you know if I have any questions.
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Ok, I need help...

So I've looked at the scripts and thought I had what I needed...but the leaders don't have the Rally option.

I modified the SQUADS.CSV file in accordance with what Enric set up for the Leaders.

I grabbed the E_FUNCTION file and placed it in the Scenarios folder (as per cavehobbit's set up).

Added the $DEFAULT.BSF and RALLY.BSF to my Battle Scripts folder.

Included the Rally info on the text2.txt file

What am I missing?
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Brummbar44 wrote:Ok, I need help...

So I've looked at the scripts and thought I had what I needed...but the leaders don't have the Rally option.

I modified the SQUADS.CSV file in accordance with what Enric set up for the Leaders.

I grabbed the E_FUNCTION file and placed it in the Scenarios folder (as per cavehobbit's set up).

Added the $DEFAULT.BSF and RALLY.BSF to my Battle Scripts folder.

Included the Rally info on the text2.txt file

What am I missing?
Could you send me the scenario and I will have a look at the scripts.
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Thanks cavehobbit.

I've had horrible luck sending PM's through here so I thought I'd just post the link to the files....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/812 ... MY_DEV.zip
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Thanks for the help cavehobbit, your suggestion via pm fixed it! I've pm'd you back...but things just seem to sit in my outbox?

For anyone curious, I neglected to include rally in the default...it's been awhile since I've poked around with scenario design...so many new options! Great work guys!
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

Brummbar44 wrote:I've pm'd you back...but things just seem to sit in my outbox?
This is normal behavior until the person reads the message, it sits in the outbox.
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Ahh...that explains things. Thanks jcb989!
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Hi Enric,

Great work! I've already managed to incorporate your leaders into some of the Great War battles I am making...and have recently looked into your wire. It works much better than the standard wire by stopping infantry. I'm not quite sure I understand how it is supposed to be removed though?

Infantry directly adjacent can move into it...then it shows the 'remove wire' icon...but it does nothing. The next turn, they can move out, but the wire is still there. I must be missing something?

Further, I was wondering if you had done any work toward having artillery damage wire? That would be a great thing to include in Great War battles.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
enric

Post by enric »

Brummbar44 wrote:Hi Enric,

Great work! I've already managed to incorporate your leaders into some of the Great War battles I am making...and have recently looked into your wire. It works much better than the standard wire by stopping infantry. I'm not quite sure I understand how it is supposed to be removed though?

Infantry directly adjacent can move into it...then it shows the 'remove wire' icon...but it does nothing. The next turn, they can move out, but the wire is still there. I must be missing something?

Further, I was wondering if you had done any work toward having artillery damage wire? That would be a great thing to include in Great War battles.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
I'll check the remove wire tomorrow. Did you test it on my scenarios or on yours?
I've not made any work on artillery on wire or mines, I'll put in to my todo list (I've also a list like Pip'list :D )
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Thanks Enric,

I am playing the 'Road to Wiltz' scenario as the Axis and in that, the option to cut wire doesn't come up at all? In fact, my infantry can't move into any of the wire there?

However, I am referring to the scenario I am working on that does allow infantry to move into wire_x only if adjacent and there they stop (which is perfect!)...but the odd thing is, the unit then has the option to 'cut wire' but not before? Then the next turn, they no longer have the 'cut wire' option even though they are on the wire...they can simply move off.

On an interesting note; in my tests, I've included the standard wire from the original BA and it too prevents units from just moving through (like they used to)...but it sometimes just gets removed when a squad moves in...must have something to do with the squad size....a half squad simply stops...a full squad stops but removes?! (these are from Tim1966 Great War mod squads).

As for the wire being damaged by artillery...that would be awesome. A barrage would have X% chance of removing a wire from the square it hits. Hope it's not too difficult to script...and I have seen some comments on blowing bridges etc...so I would think it could be adapted here?

Thanks again for your efforts so far!

Return to “Battle Academy : Modders Corner ”