'43 East v '44 East

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

'43 East v '44 East

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Finally (after 2+ years), I have made it to about half way through Grand Campaign '44 East. For some reason, the '44 scenarios (especially Mogilev), seem easier than most of the '43 ones after Oboyan.

For instance:

Dnepropetrovsk ('43)
- lost ~8k prestige to replacements and new units after deployment phase
- lost maybe 10 core units (my tactics can be a bit reckless sometimes), (1.5*)
- MV

on Lieutenant but enemy units -2 strength (I was trying to fix a ruined core)

Jassy Kishniev ('44)
- lost ~3k prestige
- lost 3 core units (these were 2.5*)
- MV (not bothering for DVs in '44 unless it seems easy to get one)

on Lieutenant with default settings

and Mogilev '44
- lost 2k pp
- -2 units
- MV

same difficulty as Jassy

Anyone else found '44 easier than '43? I find this quite strange as the '43 Summer offensive wasn't much more than a dent in a fortfied line, followed by a mass German retreat (to some extent anyway), whereas '44 Bagration has been named the 'Destruction of A.G.C', and caused the Germans in excess of 1 million casualties.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: '43 East v '44 East

Post by captainjack »

I remember 44 East being easier than 43 East, so it's not just you.

There's quite a few reasonably fun ones in 43, but I think that the hard ones in 43 are a real grind. Maybe 44 misses out the really hard grim ones. Or perhaps the developers lightened up a bit.
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:I remember 44 East being easier than 43 East, so it's not just you.

There's quite a few reasonably fun ones in 43, but I think that the hard ones in 43 are a real grind. Maybe 44 misses out the really hard grim ones. Or perhaps the developers lightened up a bit.
If you are referring to Oboyan as a fun one in '43, then :evil: - that thing I retried like 4 times and each time 1 turn short of the DV. GODDAMMIT! How hard is it to kill a 1-strength unit in the last victory point you stupid Tiger tanks.

Also, I upgraded 'God' to a Tiger II. Now the Russians are even more stuffed than before.

'44 East has given me a new mod idea though.

- BNC
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:referring to Oboyan as a fun one in '43
I have my faults but I'm not quite that crazy!
ThorHa
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ThorHa »

captainjack wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:referring to Oboyan as a fun one in '43
I have my faults but I'm not quite that crazy!
:D I found Oboyan fun. In the second playthrough of course. It was exactly fun because it forced you to really think about every little step - but with the picture of the final unit setup after the last movement already in place. A good exercise for the brain.

Regards,
Thorsten
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Good point Thor. Some of the hard scenarios can be fun. Actually, most of the more enjoyable scenarios have quite severe challenges.

If I find 43 East a bit hard work, it's probably a fault with the general!
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:Some of the hard scenarios can be fun.
You didn't think that when playing the older versions of Arras 18, did you? (1.3 made that a bit easier - you should have another crack at it)

But, to some extent the hard ones can be quite fun - for me that is Midwest USA and Mogilev44 (and the more murderous WWI stuff)

- BNC
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Repeat after me:
Arras 18 was fun!
Arras 18 was fun!
Arras 18 was fun!

Actually, it probably would be if I played as the Entente.

I'll have a go at V1.3 someday soon. I'm busy learning about maps in the scenario editor at the moment and then want to learn how to convert a truck graphic into a half track without it looking like a blind monkey had been in charge of the design workshop
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:Repeat after me:
Arras 18 was fun!
Arras 18 was fun!
Arras 18 was fun!

Actually, it probably would be if I played as the Entente.

I'll have a go at V1.3 someday soon. I'm busy learning about maps in the scenario editor at the moment and then want to learn how to convert a truck graphic into a half track without it looking like a blind monkey had been in charge of the design workshop
I just put 1.4 up, so forget about 1.3.

Also, playing Arras and Mons as the Entente gets extremely boring, fast! Moving 200 units through the occasional German unit or pile of wire becomes a chore after the first turn or two.

Updated Arras18 is quite a bit easier, as I halved the enemy horde, as well as slightly improving the Hindenburg fortifications

And, seeing as you insist:

Arras18 is fun! (x 3)

- BNC
Baku42
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Baku42 »

I probably noticed that as well. Although it's been a while since I've been on 44. I'm on 45 and have noticed it getting easier. In 45 those annoying Shilkas are gone or not seen in the numbers as earlier. Pillau was a scenario that I thought would be hairy but I did well as I got air cover over the ships immediately.

The introduction to Koenigsberg scared the heck out of me but that turned out to be a paper tiger. Budapest 45 was difficult though. I was conservative and held back my air until I saw what the AI was doing on that large map but that was a bad decision. I think the only chance for the Hungarians to hold out in the capital is to get massive air over to them as fast as they can fly. I don't recall seeing one Shilka in that scenario.
MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard »

Budapest is fun. I find that you have about 6 turns to get some Germans into the city to have a chance at rescuing enough unit. I put my fastest units, panther, JP's, SP Art and half track infantry, to the North and go as fast as I can around the hill and down the road to the city. As long at the Russians haven't been able to cross the river from the west before my units arrive I generally save enough Hungarians. After that is it just a slog down the map to try and get all the VP hexes before time runs out.
MartyWard

Post by MartyWard »

Budapest is fun. I find that you have about 6 turns to get some Germans into the city to have a chance at rescuing enough unit. I put my fastest units, panther, JP's, SP Art and half track infantry, to the North and go as fast as I can around the hill and down the road to the city. As long at the Russians haven't been able to cross the river from the west before my units arrive I generally save enough Hungarians. After that is it just a slog down the map to try and get all the VP hexes before time runs out.

Return to “Panzer Corps”