Using Random Skirmish Maps for Scenarios

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GBISSET
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Using Random Skirmish Maps for Scenarios

Post by GBISSET »

Im going to use PS for a campaign, and I love the new random map feature! I should clarify this is for a campaign I am playing using another game system, I just want to use PS for the tactical battles we generate.

Is there a way I can either edit the skirmish games (to match my campaign) as scenarios, or save random maps and use them for the map for a scenario I make myself?

Thanks!

George
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Using Random Skirmish Maps for Scenarios

Post by rbodleyscott »

The editor allows you to use Random Maps (the same as used by Skirmish mode) in your custom scenarios.

In the editor, select the Plugin Tools icon (looks like Saw and Hammer), and then select Slith Random Map Plugin. Hit X to close the dialogue - yes I know it says Cancel, that is a bug which will be corrected in the first patch.

A small dialogue box appears that allows you to select whether you want your map to be suitable for Germany, England or Italy. England has enclosed (hedged) fields, Germany has more woods, and Italy is sun-drenched and has different trees lining the roads....

Having selected the region you want, hit Create Map. The program should take about 1 second to generate a map, so you can keep clicking through the maps till you get one that seems suitable for the situation in your campaign, then save that.
Richard Bodley Scott

GBISSET
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by GBISSET »

That's Great!

Thanks for all your work!

George
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

GBISSET wrote:Im going to use PS for a campaign, and I love the new random map feature! I should clarify this is for a campaign I am playing using another game system, I just want to use PS for the tactical battles we generate.

Is there a way I can either edit the skirmish games (to match my campaign) as scenarios, or save random maps and use them for the map for a scenario I make myself?

Thanks!

George
George, I'm curious what "system": you are using... commercial, or your own pen and paper campaign. For years I have been searching for a strategic PC game that can handle diplomacy etc and be able to "import" results from an offline game ( as sadly, very very few games are made with a grand stategic side AND coupled with tac battles)

In order to put P&S battles into context, I'm considering purchasing EU3 and using a saved game editor to "import" results for an offline battle using P&S. Not quite sure if its possible or practical/easy, the fact that the EU games are real time(curse paradox, don't they know I hate RT?) does throw another curveball as well....
GBISSET
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by GBISSET »

Ive tried a lot of game systems for the campaign part, and right now am using, similar to yourself, Hearts of Iron III (I like the scale, which is sort of county or below province areas). Its a little bit more complicated than I really need, but I set everything except the military part to automatic, and ignore the rest of the world. Right now Im fighting 1689 in England, and the enemy have thrown a cavalry brigade at my militia in southern England. If the enemy bring in an armoured division, I will edit it into a cavalry division.

So today I am setting up a random map for the terrain, and my data are that 3,200 cavalry are attacking 2,400 militia types. When the battle is over, Ill take the losses and edit them back into my HOI save game. By making the interface simple, just editing the loses HOI thought happened to what happened in the tactical BA battle, its quite doable.

I should say, Hoi does stop the RT when theres a battle and gives you battle results in men lost.

Something else interesting, Ill be fighting the battle solo with miniatures, since BA gives enough feedback for losses and routs to do that.
GBISSET
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by GBISSET »

Ive just run into a problem with HOI3, where it seemed to edit back what I had edited. So let me know how EU3 goes.

The easiest program to use for this is probably Triple-A, which has an in game editing feature. The problem for me is they don't have very detailed maps for most of Europe or the Americas. I like their maps of China and Japan.

They have a map editing program, but it seems to be a little over my head personally (graphically), but if theres a good graphics guy out there who'd like to work on a detailed (county level) map project for Triple-A, Id be happy to help him in any way I can.

Return to “Pike & Shot”