Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Sound Mod - New Update!

Post by Adebar »

Sound Mod V.3

Description:

Sound Mod V.3 (10/24/2017)

Completely revised and expanded new version. Added many new and alternate sounds by editing the Units .txt files.

New sounds for archer, crossbow and javelin units.
Ship movement and naval artillery.
Light artillery movement.
5 different cavalry movement sounds (light and heavy cavalry).
Now 4 different rifle volley sounds (for large and smaller infantry/cavalry units).
5 different infantry movement sounds (light and heavy infantry).
Seperate movement sounds for Landsknechts, Janissaries and Swiss infantry units.
Etc., etc.

Sources: Sounds from several YT clips, edited and unedited FOG2 files, collection of modded stuff from the last 20 or so years.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1s21uotb8 ... od_V.3.zip

Installation:

In the main game folder, go to /ProgramFiles (x86)/Slitherine/Pike and Shot/Data. (Steam version: /ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Pike & Shot/Data)
Make a backup copy of all files in the Sounds folder! Now put all the files of the Mod's Sounds folder there.

After that go to Battle/Units. Make a backup copy of all the files in the Units folder! Put all the txt. files of the Mod's Units folder there.

Ambient sounds: Go to Data/Music. Make a backup copy of Battle.mp3 in this folder! Now replace this file with the modded one.

- Fire up the game. Enjoy! Or not.

Version History:

V.0. 10/19/14: Infantry marching, weapon sounds. Fanfare.

V.1. 10/20/14: New artillery sounds. Infantry marching with fife and drums. Alternative musket and marching sounds.

V.2. 10/25/2014: New movement and weapon sounds, fanfare. Ambient sounds. Better balanced sound volume. Melee sounds. Ambient sounds.

V.3. 10/24/2017: See above.

Plans:

Perhaps even more sound variety ...

BTW:

While your at it, just check my Constant Blood Mod:

viewtopic.php?f=322&t=79955
Last edited by Adebar on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Sound Mod

Post by rbodleyscott »

Not sure about your musket sound, but as non-Salvo troops only fired one rank at a time, there would be about 40-50 muskets firing from a standard 500 man pike and shot unit in the time it takes the sound effect to run. (Rather less than most people might think, I suspect)
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

A question to the Devs: Is it possible to add additional/alternative sounds by editing sfx0.txt? Or is this in a way hard coded?

Would be nice to have several musket volley sounds or more movement sounds etc.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:A question to the Devs: Is it possible to add additional/alternative sounds by editing sfx0.txt? Or is this in a way hard coded?

Would be nice to have several musket volley sounds or more movement sounds etc.
You can, but you would have to do it for each unit model.

See the section on Units -> Animations in

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Do I understand it correctly that for every single unit in the game a txt. file exists that assigns textures and sounds etc.?

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:Do I understand it correctly that for every single unit in the game a txt. file exists that assigns textures and sounds etc.?
Every single unit model in the game has a .txt file. It does not assign the textures, but it does assigns sounds and visual FX.

However, some models are shared by more than one unit, so at a quick count there are about 75 unit models, each of which has a SFX/FX .txt file.

Textures are assigned differently, so that the "same" units in different armies can all have different textures.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Ok, thanks for the info, haven't been in scripting before that much.

It could be managable to edit all those files and assign new sounds to the units but regarding future patches and expansions that may change the files it makes no sense to do so IMO. Elsewise one had to check in detail all the new unit related .txt files that come with a patch and revise them. Also such a sound mod had to include all the modified .txt files and that would force the user to mess around with the game's basic scripts which could cause mistakes.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Adebar wrote:It could be managable to edit all those files and assign new sounds to the units but regarding future patches and expansions that may change the files it makes no sense to do so IMO. Elsewise one had to check in detail all the new unit related .txt files that come with a patch and revise them. Also such a sound mod had to include all the modified .txt files and that would force the user to mess around with the game's basic scripts which could cause mistakes.
We don't recommend modding your main installation at all anyway. It is safest to keep any mods in custom campaign folders in \My Documents\My Games\PikeandShot\Campaigns

You should create a clone of one of the campaigns and then place your modded sounds and .txt files in that. When you play that campaign, these will automatically override files of the same name from the main installation. Your mod will then not get overwritten by any patches.

You can create a clone of one of the released campaigns by going into the editor, pressing the plus button (create a brand new campaign) and then use the "Copy of" button to select the campaign you wish to clone. You will find the cloned campaign in \My Documents\My Games\PikeandShot\Campaigns

In the same document that I linked before

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/GameWiki ... tub_engine

there is a chart near the end (under Custom Campaign Folder Layout) showing the locations in which you need to place the altered files in your cloned campaign folder.

Note that the folder tree is not exactly the same as the tree in the main installation, so it is very important that you follow the chart for your mods to work correctly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar

Re: Sound Mod - Update 10/20/14

Post by Adebar »

Sound Mod updated. New artillery and marching infantry sounds. Some alternative sounds as well. Enjoy!

IC XC
NI KA
Tiopepe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tiopepe »

Thanks Adebar!

Really like your sound mod. It gives a real sound for battle.

Waiting for you ambience and melee sounds too. :D
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Thanks! - An update will follow in a few days, volume of the sounds more balanced, and two or three ambient backdrops to choose from.

@ Richard:

In case you read this: Could you please move my two mod threads to the new Modders Corner? Thanks in advance!

IC XC
NI KA
Adebar

Re: Sound Mod - Update 10/25/14

Post by Adebar »

Update. Better balanced sound volume. Melee sounds. Two versions of ambient backdrop (replaces Battle.mp3).

Please tell me if the ambient sounds are ok or not, I appreciate any feedback. :)

Enjoy!

IC XC
NI KA
Tiopepe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tiopepe »

Great!!! :D

Thank you!
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by cromlechi »

Yes, great mod! The gunfire sounds great. :D
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Thanks guys! :)

If you have any ideas to improve the mod, please let me know. Will add at least two more sounds - explosion and ship artillery fire.

IC XC
NI KA
Tiopepe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tiopepe »

when playing a multiplayer game, cant heard the ambient sound. Do you know if its a bug too??. I only hear the original battle souond but not the mod ive installed.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

I don't know, I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Tiopepe wrote:when playing a multiplayer game, cant heard the ambient sound. Do you know if its a bug too??. I only hear the original battle souond but not the mod ive installed.
The bug that affects saved games also affects MP - in the vanilla game it plays the menu music instead of the battle music. So I guess that is what is happening.

We are awaiting a correction of the engine to cure this.
Richard Bodley Scott

Tiopepe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Tiopepe »

Thanks! :wink:
sukhoi
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by sukhoi »

Hi Adebar,

just tried your sound package and I really like it. Well done!
So thanks for this mod and this comprehensive post about its installation :D

Return to “Modders Corner”