Warhammer Open Beta

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

thepuffin
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Beta 4 Feedback

Post by thepuffin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:46 am

Initial Impressions
An intro! It's pretty decent, too - good job.

Tutorial
Mission 1 seems slightly harder, but it's still straightforward. Mortars being able to make retaliation fire still seems weird and makes them very powerful.

Mission 2 went fine with no issues

Mission 3 - I encountered an issue with the victory conditions where I didn't get the popup saying I'd taken my first victory hex until I took the last one. Also, driving through a victory hex doesn't seem to capture it - on the southern bridge you need to stop on each hex individually. The defenders of the southern bridge just sat in the valley they start in and didn't move the entire game.

Balance
Steel Legion Company Command should be restricted. As it is, you'd take an entire army of just them with no normal infantry.

Artillery retaliation is pretty weird given the slow setup time artillery should have. I fired a battle cannon at a basilisk from long range and took a beating due to the ability of the basilisk to fire back instantaneously. Perhaps some sort of rate of fire decrease could be implemented for artillery performing reaction fire?

thepuffin

Re: Beta 4 Feedback

Post by thepuffin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:59 am

I still don't like the font in the pre-battle dialogues. It looks out of place given that the rest of the typography is in serif text.

thepuffin

Post by thepuffin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 am

Mission 4 - The AI is completely unable to deal with the mines. Once it had blasted a path through the minefield it continued to shoot at the remaining mines (that aren't shooting back) while ignoring my powerful units (that *are* shooting at them). Also, the AI throws its units at the defender piecemeal, only committing its tanks when the battle is already lost. I actually completed this mission in 8 turns, having advanced southwards and captured the enemy factory and wiped out the enemy (including all of the static turrets). Way too easy, even for a tutorial.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:48 am

Does this font look better?
heuristica.jpg
heuristica.jpg (185.5 KiB) Viewed 669 times

fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:34 pm

good font.
And whats with the font in the game? Not easy to read. Especially the small information (like the weapons lines).

thepuffin

Post by thepuffin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 pm

That font is better because it suits the rest of the theme.

However, those blocks of text are still incredibly difficult to read. I suggest loosening the letter spacing and line height, dividing the blocks into paragraphs and using weight to highlight the important clauses.

Something like this: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/Pwoaaj

thepuffin

Post by thepuffin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Also, if that is a screenshot from the current build you should fix some typos:

Adeptus instead of Adpetus
Defences instead of defensives

KenAllen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by KenAllen » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:44 pm

I agree with thepuffin font, looks much easier to read.

The game is starting to feel a bit more polished now. Still some issues with shot effects when some units move.

Can there be a different hit effect with non cannon type weapons like lasguns or bolters. It just looks a little out of place firing with a bolt gun and getting a massive explosion the other end.

Music in menu and game is very low.

I think the bridges could do with maybe a little reworking. They just look like they have been placed on top where as everything else looks nice.

Return to “Warhammer Open Beta”