I need to understand these things to make a scenario...

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

I need to understand these things to make a scenario...

Post by fogman »

These are the attributes of 'swordmen' found in 'data/battle/units'. Can anyone explain this? is this used for rodoleros? if so, how can it be edited to include support crossbowmen?

[WAIT00]
FRM 0 16
[MOVE00]
FRM 17 27
FX 0 13
FX 1 13
FX 2 13
FX 3 13
FX 4 13
FX 5 13
FX 6 13
FX 7 13
FX 8 13
FX 9 13
AMBIENT 9 10
[FIRE00]
FRM 28 38
SFX 1 250
[DIE00]
FRM 0 0
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: I need to understand these things to make a scenario...

Post by jomni »

Might have to do it in Squads.csv. that file you have shown just dictates animation if I'm not mistaken.

Create a new mixed unit and equip it with swords and crossbow.

After creating you need to assign names in text1.txt
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:Might have to do it in Squads.csv. that file you have shown just dictates animation if I'm not mistaken.

Create a new mixed unit and equip it with swords and crossbow.

After creating you need to assign names in text1.txt
That is correct.

Also add a crossbow firing effect to the effects file.

[WAIT00]
FRM 0 16
[MOVE00]
FRM 17 27
FX 0 13
FX 1 13
FX 2 13
FX 3 13
FX 4 13
FX 5 13
FX 6 13
FX 7 13
FX 8 13
FX 9 13
AMBIENT 9 10
[FIRE00]
FRM 28 38
SFX 1 317
[DIE00]
FRM 0 0
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

in pike&shot/data, there are two Squads files that can be read with Excel. Which one is used to add the unit?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:in pike&shot/data, there are two Squads files that can be read with Excel. Which one is used to add the unit?
Squads.csv is the version which is actually used by the program.
Squads.xlsx is a formatted version.

I find it easiest to edit the Squads.xlsx file, save it, then save it as Squads.csv as well.

If you want the squads file in your custom campaign to replace the vanilla one, you need to include #REPLACE in the top left hand cell (A1).

Alternatively, if you don't want to change the existing units, and only want to add additional units, you can have a Squads file in the custom campaign that only contains the additional units, and if you do not put #Replace in the top left hand cell (A1), the units from this Squads file will be appended to the list of units from the main installation Squads file.

See also the section on Squads File Changes in the Build 0001 section in

https://sites.google.com/site/battleaca ... llfeatures
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Ohh! Thanks for the tip. I'd like to add a musket firing effect on halbediers (spearmen).
What effect is that.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:Ohh! Thanks for the tip. I'd like to add a musket firing effect on halbediers (spearmen).
What effect is that.
See sfx0.txt in PikeandShot/Data

It is

SFX 1 308

Of course you won't get the smoke effect without that being specified as part of the model.

Might it perhaps be better to use one of the pike and shot models? (Perhaps the Colunela or Later Tercio model). Then you will get the smoke effect when they fire.
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Ok. That's right. Need to use the pick and shot models instead.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:Ok. That's right. Need to use the pick and shot models instead.
And, of course, those have the added bonus of already having the musket sound effect in their .txt file.
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

in the squad cvs, what is the relationship between 'men in a unit' and 'unit size'? how does unit size affects impact and melee (does having a bigger unit size gives a certain advantage over a smaller unit size?)

it seems experience and elan have the same value. what's the point of having two different attributes here?

armour goes from 0 to 300, in mostly increments of 100. what difference does it make if armour is 150?

i will create the scenario in 'multiplayer/fogman' but i can't find that folder in the campaign directory.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

fogman wrote:in the squad cvs, what is the relationship between 'men in a unit' and 'unit size'? how does unit size affects impact and melee (does having a bigger unit size gives a certain advantage over a smaller unit size?)

it seems experience and elan have the same value. what's the point of having two different attributes here?

armour goes from 0 to 300, in mostly increments of 100. what difference does it make if armour is 150?

i will create the scenario in 'multiplayer/fogman' but i can't find that folder in the campaign directory.
A): to some degree covered in this thread: http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=54121

B) "quality" in the average of experience/elan. Quality is what the game uses. In order to have greater flavor, one of the bsf files (cant find it now) controls the quality "name" based on elan/experience Example: unit quality is below average, but its training is lower than its elan, will be called "raw" if the opposite, I believe they will be called "demoralized" The quality,ie average of elan plus experience could be the same for each of those units.

C) a full 100 difference in armour gives a maximum of 50 POA(16% combat advantage, which can be edited to give more or less in the combat bsf.) So in your example and unit with 150 armour (in the middle between a back and breast plate only dude vs man in cuirassier armour) would be up or down 25 POA vs 100 armour or 200 armour respectively.

D) If you mean the actual assets for a custom campaign, they save to documents/mygames/pikeandshot (not the main game install.)

Better description of B) quoted from RBS:
"Also with regard to Experience and Elan. the rule of thumb is

Civilians 0
Raw 50
Regulars 100
Veterans 200
Ultimate Elite 300

though there are many shades in between - and the experience and elan are not, of course, always equal.

Troop Quality is the average of the Experience and Elan.

The way the game reports Quality partly depends on whether the Experience and Elan are equal:

If quality is in the range 0-40 then if Elan is less than Experience the game reports "Demoralised", otherwise "Untrained".

If quality is in the range 41-60 then if Elan is less than Experience the game reports "Disheartened", otherwise "Raw".

If quality is in the range 61-90 the game reports "Below Average".

If quality is in the range 91-110 the game reports "Average".

If quality is in the range 111-159 the game reports "Above Average."

If quality is in the range 160-210 the game reports "Superior".

If quality is in the range 211-249 the game reports "Highly Superior".

If quality is in the range 250-300 the game reports "Elite"."
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The Mouser's answer pretty much cover your questions.

I would add that although fighting strength is calculated from the UnitSize * Current TotalMen / Original TotalMen the maximum strength that can fight against any one opponent is UnitSize 600 for foot and UnitSize 400 for cavalry.

The additional UnitSize beyond those figures is assumed to be in rear ranks too far away to contribute to the fighting - so mostly provides spare men to replace losses in the front ranks. In a mixed unit the fighting troops will be assumed to be in the same proportion as in the whole unit.

So a Later Tercio with UnitSize 1000 and 60% muskets, only has 600 UnitSize in the fighting ranks and hence will shoot with a UnitSize of 60% of 600 = 360. Of course it can suffer UnitSize 400 losses before it suffers any reduction in firepower.

A normal pike and shot unit with UnitSize 600 and 66% muskets will shoot with 66% of 600 = 396 UnitSize at first, but as soon as it suffers any losses, its firepower will diminish accordingly.
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

the excel files are read-only and i cannot save the changes unless i save to another file name. do i save to a new filename, then delete the original, then rename the new file with the original name?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:the excel files are read-only and i cannot save the changes unless i save to another file name. do i save to a new filename, then delete the original, then rename the new file with the original name?
You should not be editing the main installation files. Make a copy of them in your custom campaign directory (in My Documents/My Games/PikeandShot/Campaigns/MyCustomCampaignName)

Then remove the Read Only status (if it is still Read Only) by right clicking on the filename, select Proterties, uncheck the read only box.
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

if a new unit is created in the excel file, what else needs to be done to make it legitimate?

what does the 'asset filename' attribute do?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:if a new unit is created in the excel file, what else needs to be done to make it legitimate?
Give it a sequential id number in the ID column. If that was, for example, 165, give it IDS_UNITNAME165 and IDS_UNITINFO165 strings in the text1.txt file in your custom campaign.
what does the 'asset filename' attribute do?
Tells the program which unit model to use for it.
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

IDS_CAMPAIGN_NAME,"Fogman",
IDS_CAMPAIGN_TEXT,"Fogman",
IDS_UNITNAME165, "rodeleros & crossbowmen",
IDS_UNITINFO165,

this triggers an error on loading the game

Unexpected end of line
Missing " or comma.
.../PIKEANDSHOT/MULTIPLAYER/FOGMAN/TEXT1.TXT (0)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:IDS_CAMPAIGN_NAME,"Fogman",
IDS_CAMPAIGN_TEXT,"Fogman",
IDS_UNITNAME165, "rodeleros & crossbowmen",
IDS_UNITINFO165,

this triggers an error on loading the game

Unexpected end of line
Missing " or comma.
.../PIKEANDSHOT/MULTIPLAYER/FOGMAN/TEXT1.TXT (0)
Because there needs to be a string after Ids_unitinfo165

E.g. , "Mixed unit of sword-and-bucklermen and crossbowmen",
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

what does the the 'toggle deployment mode' button do? it doesn't seem to affect anything.

how do you remove a unit you just placed on the map?

the placed units are all oriented in the same direction, away from your point of view, regardless whether they're side 0 or 1. how do you change their orientation?

which side is supposed to be on the near edge?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote:what does the the 'toggle deployment mode' button do? it doesn't seem to affect anything.
One position prevents either side from having a deployment phase, one allows both players a deployment phase, and one allows only one side a deployment phase. (I can't remember which side)
how do you remove a unit you just placed on the map?
Hold down the Delete key and then L-click on the unit
the placed units are all oriented in the same direction, away from your point of view, regardless whether they're side 0 or 1. how do you change their orientation?
Press the R key while moused over a unit to rotate it in 45 degree steps.
which side is supposed to be on the near edge?
Side0 (the player side).
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Scenario Design”