Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Strategiser
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Specific troop names

Post by Strategiser »

Dear Commanders,

Just a quick clarifying question.

Looking at, as an example, the French Infantry Corps D'Armee 1812 list provided in the main rulebook on page 124: is there a difference between say the Hussars and Chasseurs a Cheval in terms of game rules, as they are both Light Cavalry? Or is this distinction simply done for historical accuracy and flavour reasons?

Many thanks in advance!
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Specific troop names

Post by MDH »

There is no functional or tactical difference. This is true of British Hussars and Light Dragoons, Austrian Lt Dragoons and Austrian Cheveau leger and many smaller nations who used variations of those names or others ( Jagers zu Pferd) for what were basically light horse. Off the battle field they had many tasks that the heavies did not, of course, but no real difference even there between Hussars and other light horse.( see the back of the rulebook for some notes on all this)

In some lists, based on historical performance - or reputation - Hussars are treated as better ( either in elan or training) than Chasseurs a Cheval in the French army. Hussars were usually regarded as more dashing, more fashionable, more prone to colourful behaviour .But that reputation did not always prove justified in battle.

What all Hussars had in common was the style of dress - notably the fur trimmed Pelise, with elaborate lace and frogging often/usually worn hung over the left shoulder and flamboyant hair. In the British army Hussar regiments were created from Light Dragoon regiments. But the style was not unique to Hussars. The French Imperial Guard Chasseurs a Cheval had Hussar style dress and there were no French Guard Hussars as such.

The origins of Hussars were the Austro Hungarian empire in late 16th and early 17th century where they were irregular light horse and - of course -from Hungary . Gradually other nations and armies came to copy them
Strategiser
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Strategiser »

Many thanks for the very detailed and interesting answer!
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

I always find it changes the look of your army on the table top. Using Austrians for example and having a choice of Chevaux Leger or Hussars, I always take Hussars. They are much more colourful than the white or green jacketed Chevaux. Also I like taking my cavalry as superior if i can.
martymagnificent
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by martymagnificent »

It is, however, much easier to paint chevauleger than hussars!

Martin
Strategiser
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Strategiser »

Thanks again!

In the case of the above-mentioned French Infantry Corps D'Armee 1812, both Hussars and Chasseurs a Cheval are available in Superior and Average, both are Drilled, both cost the same points per base, and both have required minimum bases assigned to them. Additionally, given that both of them are Light Cavalry, there seems to be absolutely no functional or 'rules' difference between the two. [The only difference is that the Chasseurs are given a higher max limit than the Hussars].

Although this means that one needs to buy both Hussars and Chasseurs minis for this army (as they have minimum requirements above zero), it is nice to see that the historical accuracy and flavour is given a high importance in this game!

Return to “Army Design”