Desert Fox Rules Updates and Errata

A place to discuss Desert Fox from Shenandoah Studio.
jeffd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Desert Fox Rules Updates and Errata

Post by jeffd »

This thread will serve as a central point for all updates to the current version of Desert Fox rules and errata. Mistakes in the published rules will be added as they are discovered and deleted as new versions of the game are released.

So far we've found the following issues:

1. During the El Alamein Campaign, the Axis does not receive any supply points during the first two weeks of the campaign, not just the first week.

2. The combat supply table in the rules is out of date and much too generous. An updated version of the table is below and can be downloaded if desired.
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Desert Fox Rules Updates and Errata

Post by jimwinsor »

I believe I found another rules errata: 13.2.1 states that Displacement only affects units on enemy spaces. That's not quite true; as the Tutorial makes clear (with that lone German recon unit trapped behind CW lines) units on friendly but out of supply spaces will displace as well. Also thereby triggering an ownership change after the displacement.

I've verified this in an actual German campaign, by cutting off El Alamein from the east, then declaring a Refit. All CW units in the coastal pocket displaced, and all those spaces in and around El Alamein became German controlled. Eliminated all those pesky CW minefields as well.

Displacement is a VERY powerful rule, so this should be stated clearly.
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
Ryvin
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ryvin »

This is not totally true!

One notably exception was the case that the space unsupplied still remain of the same owner if and only if there is at least one level of minefield!
Because in the refit procedure first thing the game check are unoccupied territories, but even if unsupplied these territories with troops still are occupied so there isn't a change of the space and the lose of the minefield!
Moreover the troops stands there! Obviously cannot gain supply but still defend the space!
Now I am not aware of the real intentions of the developers because the rules state another conditon to qualify for displacement that jimwinsor has already pointed out!

Needs to clarify this point if possible!

Thank you very much!
blahblah3502
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blahblah3502 »

Rule 7.1.2 seems to imply that the combined arms bonus is available to Italian units but it's not

While it doesn't say anything specifically about Italian units, it doesn't rule them out and reads as if they might have the bonus too
blahblah3502
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blahblah3502 »

Rule 10.6.2 : "There are no elite flak units in the game" should perhaps be something like "The elite status of the flak units has no effect in the game - it is for historical representation only "
Ryvin

Post by Ryvin »

I found on game center matches the following bug just reported in one of these.

VPs screen on Grand Campaign scenario deesn't record the number of the axis mobile troops that exit (eastward) the map! It scores the point only during the exit's impulse then the required units count goes back to 6 and on the abovementioned screen (Vps) there are no point for this. However the CW supply are disrupted correctly and VP on top left corner of the screen display the right VPs count. The real problem occurs if the Axis exits 6 units because the scenario doesn't end as supposed.
thedudeabidez
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by thedudeabidez »

I just got the same problem as Ryvin regarding exited units not registering in the briefing. Very frustrating!

I will note that this problem happened playing the campaign against another human player, but i did not have this problem playing a campaign with the A.I.

Hope you can fix it soon. Otherwise, great game again.
thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez »

Actually, I'm in the middle of a game and need to know, can I win by exiting units or not? If this bug didn't register my first unit that exited, then I'd really be shooting myself in the foot if I exit any more. Since i am in a position to exit a few units quite soon, I need to know if this is an identified bug or not, it would really auck if the Axis can't win by exiting east in Game Center matches.
Ryvin

Post by Ryvin »

Actually the game doesn't stop if you exits 6 units from the map, however in the game I was playing my opponent resigned as soon as my 6th mobile unit exits the map. By the way devs answer my bug report request and told me that they are aware of it and it will be fixed.
thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez »

The game does stop when you exit six units against the A.I., but i guess I'd better not try that against a human till the bug is fixed. Glad they're working on it, this is a pretty big one...
thedudeabidez

Post by thedudeabidez »

The game does stop when you exit six units against the A.I., but i guess I'd better not try that against a human till the bug is fixed. Glad they're working on it, this is a pretty big one...
blahblah3502
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blahblah3502 »

There doesn't seem to be a mention of disengagement effects on minefields ( lost if behind enemy lines without a friendly unit on the space) in the rules
Ryvin

Post by Ryvin »

Moreover as I already pointed out: enemy troops in a friendly minefield completely surrounded doesn't displace during refit as stated on the rules.
Peter_TSS
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Peter_TSS »

The game is behaving as intended with respect to units in minefields during displacement.

13.2 should read:
-Units in enemy controlled spaces or that cannot trace supply are displaced. Units in minefields are unaffected.
Ryvin

Post by Ryvin »

Ok thanks for clarifying this!
blahblah3502
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blahblah3502 »

First line of rule 10.8 on night maneuvers shouldn't say that they may occur every turn
blahblah3502
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blahblah3502 »

Not clear in rules (8.6) how Axis combat supply replenishment works in the Campaign ( I think if CW or Axis opt to avoid refit, Axis receives no extra combat supply points for 2 weeks?)
Ryvin

Post by Ryvin »

Axis receives extra combat supply (according to the above updated table) at the start of day 1 of every week except the first and second one.
PGEddington
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by PGEddington »

I'm trying to understand the reason for lowering the point bar for the Ruwaseit Ridge scenario. Frankly, I thought the original range (5 or less, Axis loses-10 or more, Axis wins) was just fine. The new change appears to tip the balance decisively in favor of the Axis: Take Tel el Eisa (2p), eliminate 9th Indian and clear the minefield (2p), then pick off just one low-strength CW unit (1p) and you instantly have a guaranteed draw if you just properly protect your existing forces. Am I missing something?
Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

The change to Ruwaseit Ridge VP thresholds made perfect sense to me. I played as CW and lost perhaps 1 of 10 matches. The low Axis combat supply is punishing, such that if CW simply keeps their units well-protected (in deirs, minefields, or ridges) and looks for opportunities to kill one Axis unit, it's hard to lose unless you run into some awful rolls.

Return to “Desert Fox: The Battle of El Alamein”