Heroes question

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PoleHERbehr77
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Heroes question

Post by PoleHERbehr77 »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible at all to edit your core units heroes? Sadly, I've gotten 4 in a row +1 spotting heroes :( none of which are recon units :( I did some poking around with the campaign and equipment editors but couldn't see anyway to edit my core units info. I also tried opening the.pzcor file where my core unit info is saved with both notepad and notepad++ but the information is all garbled . The file location for me is C:\Users\Doc\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\SaveCore

If anyone has any ideas or work around to this please let me know. It would be nice for a change to have something other than a + 1 spotting hero on some of my units :lol:

edit: I also did quite abit of searching on the forums and couldn't find any topic relating to my question. I found a couple explaining how to create a new Hero but nothing about changing/editing existing ones for core units.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Heroes question

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

AFAIK you can't edit heroes on existing units, but if you get too many of the same hero, why not reload an autosave and hope for a different one?

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
PoleHERbehr77

Post by PoleHERbehr77 »

Thx for the response BNC

Ive moded my game heavily in many ways, one of which has changed the scale some; It more loosely based on company sized elements. I of course then increased the number of units on the map for the AI and myself etc, so my turns are rather long. It always seems to happen that I get a +1 spot hero on the last unit before the next turn >.< Its just a rather annoying to have to reload a turn.

This is why I was hoping there was a way to change existing heroes
kanniethexen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kanniethexen »

It would be nice to have a hero exchange, for instance in the deployment phase of the battle. I rarely have had a 'spotting' hero but my towed artillery often gets a 'defense' hero, and they are in practice useless for longe range artillery.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

kanniethexen wrote:I rarely have had a 'spotting' hero but my towed artillery often gets a 'defense' hero, and they are in practice useless for longe range artillery.
I'm part way through 44 East at the moment and with a smaller core, large numbers of quality soviet aircraft, high numbers of soviet artillery and the high casualty rates in infantry combat (which can leave unplanned holes in your front line) mean that the risk to towed artillery is higher than ever. The +3D hero on the 17cm gun, which was valuable ever since it was a 10.5cm, is very useful to cover lucky enemy shots or operator error. The other option is to convert your towed gun to a Stug, where the added defence makes it a bit more durable on the front line, or (later) to a Wespe or Hummel which have lousy defence and need all the help they can get.

And I once had almost half spotting heroes playing Afrika Korps - I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.
ThorHa
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ThorHa »

captainjack wrote:
I'm part way through 44 East at the moment and with a smaller core, large numbers of quality soviet aircraft, high numbers of soviet artillery and the high casualty rates in infantry
How do you do these high losses in inf? I really have difficulties to understand. In defense no infantry should ever be without artillery cover. The strict AI movement order (planes, recon, tanks, infantry, AT, arty and AA) should ensure that enemy arty only comes in range after its armour screen is gone or gets in range last with an inefficient last turn shot not followed up by anything.

Thus your infantry should sit in restricted terrain backed by arty - how are losses possible under these circumstances? Strength losses to my inf in 44 usually occured only after I switched to offense. And even then I never, ever get caught in transports, but dismounted a good grenadier or engineer unit can easily survive an IS 2 in pretty good shape (4 strength point shaved off).

Regards,
Thorsten
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

ThorHa wrote:your infantry should sit in restricted terrain backed by arty

There's no question that in these conditions losses are generally minimal.

However, the AI doesn't always hold off attacking, especially in poor weather, or may decide to attack other nearby units, thereby soaking up all the remaining ammo in the defending artillery (which can be difficult to resupply if the weather stays bad). Once the artillery backup is out of ammo you soon find out how dangerous experienced 43 infantry vs infantry combat is. There's a reason why I keep pointing out how good ammo heroes would be!

The other thing is that with a lot of fast armour units with decent soft attack available, and the dreaded SMG infantry, then if you do get caught you tend to get caught badly as everything within reach comes to the party. The +3D hero can (did) make the difference between a 3 or 4* artillery unit running away at 1 strength and being completely lost along with 4* of experience.

The good news is that after losing a couple of pioneers in early 43 I have since then managed to avoid loss of experienced units and get the reformed ones enough experience to be able to fight in the front line again.
ThorHa

Post by ThorHa »

Okay, so your losses basically occur when caught in an infantry versus infantry fight without or with spent arty backup. Yes, under these circumstances SMG infantry is bad news.

Therefore I developed a playstyle keeping enemy infantry out in the open wherever possible, even if my tanks have to sit in restricted terrain to enable that. And a second house rule since Stalingrad is that I resupply arty with less than 3 shots no matter the circumstances.

Both together kept my infantry mostly safe.

Regards,
Thorsten

Return to “Panzer Corps”