Complete System crash every 2-3 turns

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Complete System crash every 2-3 turns

Post by canuck97 »

When I'm playing the game (version is 1-5-8) the complete system crashed every 2-3 turns. It's not possible to kill the task or do anything. The screen blanks and I can only do a hard reset of the system.

System:
Windows 7 (64bit)
Core i3
8 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5750

The requested files (dxdiag, log, options) are attached.

Thanks for help!
Attachments
files.zip
(7.51 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Complete System crash every 2-3 turns

Post by VPaulus »

Unplug your second monitor, reboot Windows, run the game and check if the issue persists.
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

Thanks for the advice. I will try that but hope this is not meant as a permanent solution?
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal »

For a starter, try updating your video driver. It's from April 2014 so I assume there will be a never version available:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download#
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

So I updated all drivers including the latest ATI Catalyst and the game still keeps crashing regardless of the chosen scenario. Unfortunately it's unplayable in this state. Any help in sight? Reading the others posts it seems there are various configurations with this problem. New files are attached. Any help is highly appreciated since I was really looking forward to play this game - which is yet impossible unfortunately.
Attachments
files_new.zip
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

In addition to my previous post I just noticed the following which might help to isolate the problem/bug: It seems that the game no longer crashed when I turn the map visuals to 2D mode. But since the 3D mode in max details otherwise is running fine there's no reason for the game (and even the whole system) to crash at all.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Have you checked the temperatures of your CPU and graphics when the AI is running in 3D?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Intel® Core™ i3 Processor is better than Intel® Celeron but only slighlty also depends on clock speed and ram installed, it''s horses for courses regarding gaming tbh with some being so low end and no better than a dual core Intel® Pentium Duo or Intel® Core™ 2 Duo with a faster single clock speed.

Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
Shared Memory: 3082 MB

imo disable the shared so your system has more, then let the card just use 1gb it has, as 1gb will be plenty for low / medium end graphics settings, but no high screen res or dual monitor as already suggested, game works fine with a 4gb pc running win 7 and win 8.1 with a similar 1gb card with a dual core cpu installed so apart from o/s issues aside game works fine
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

ZaK, he has an ATI and 8GB of memory. So lack of resources shouldn't be an issue here.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Is there a pattern to the crashes? Does it ever happen in the menu or when loading a game, or always in a scenario? Do they occur during your turn or during the AI turn? When the game is idle or when you do an action?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

VPaulus wrote:ZaK, he has an ATI and 8GB of memory. So lack of resources shouldn't be an issue here.
agreed, but as nobody knows what loaded at the start, how many processors are running in the background, i was just asking to free up some more resources and see if that helps.

and agree a dual core with 4gb of ram runs the game fine, so any errors or pc that can't with more, has other issues, none game related but o/s file or system / hardware related.
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

Thank you all for your replies. Ressources (especially RAM) shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't load a lot of stuff with system start and there's about 5-6 GB of free physical RAM available before starting the game and 1 GB of video RAM. And while I know that my i3 2100 @ 3,1 GHz certainly is no high end rig, I'm still able to play loads of newer games (with 3D graphics) fluently (e.g. CoH 2, Combat Mission series, StarCraft 2, Civ 5 etc.). So in the end I'm not really convinced that OoB: Pacific ist the game that's more demanding than any of those games when it comes to my hardware.

So I checked the temperatures of my CPU and GPU while playing the game: they are not higher than usual when playing other games. So doesn't seem to be a temperature problem (and in addition to that: no other game is crashing).

The crash always seems to happen while the CPU is doing its moves. The game never crashed in the menu system.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Try playing in windowed mode.

Go to the Options menu, click Performance, click Windowed mode and select a 1280x768 resolution (smaller than your current resolution).
Restart the game and check if there's any improvement.
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

The window mode doesn't help either. Will there be another patch in the near future to address the performance/stability problems?
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Yes, certainly. We're still trying to work out exactly what the cause is of these issues, which seem to affect a subset of users. It's tricky because we can't reproduce, but you can sure that we're continuing to support the game.
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

Thanks for the reply. Aside from these bugs the game seems to be really really good, so I'm really hoping to be able playing it in the near future. Since quite a few people with good rigs/system specs noticed a considerably frame rate slowdown during AI turns it might be a very good idea to be able to let the game first calculate the AI moves and then - after completing calculations - show the animations for it.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Canuck, you're preempting us. A similar option already exists in our internal build.
canuck97
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by canuck97 »

That's amazing news! I'm really looking forward to this option since it surely will add to the overall stability and flow of animations etc. May I ask if there's already a planned release date for it?
Greven
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Greven »

That's how I play now to speed up the game and see fluid animations:
I "Alt Tab" the game after hitting "next turn".
I can see the CPU % in the corner of my screen. As soon as it gets back to low % I get back to the game to see the animations unfolding.

That's the only way I don't get totally frustrated about this great game... ;-)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”