Gameplay Realism Mod

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Gameplay Realism Mod

Post by Confusedesh »

Odd, in an unmodified game (1.6.2) I find that once you encircle the Russians Divisions around Warsaw and destroy them they have little or no reserves left because of the costs of the small Garrisons.

The latest vanilla version of the game made it actually easier for the Central powers then the earlier versions and that is at the highest difficulty, unless there is something wrong with my game.
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

Used your files I presume only those in the script folder and not your 1.5 folder anyhow game crashes when Germany attacks Belgium clicking on a unit causes the crash.

I am using 1.6 with the hot fix for the trenches so its version 1.6.2 with your files.

Double checked and I seem to be using the right files but after Germany enters the war and the player attacks Belgium CTD.

By the way some of your files are identical to the vanilla files should they be?
DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DanielHerr »

Okay, I'll look at the Belguim attack crash.

"By the way some of your files are identical to the vanilla files should they be?" Do you mean the vanilla game or the hotfixes? I included the hotfixed files.
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

Ah It was the hot fixes then.

Perhaps this will help, Germany enters the war and you can move your units around the place, you can declare war on Belgium, you can even attack Liege but then for no reason you can click on a German or Austrian unit and the game will CTD.

I did notice that at least one of the units that caused the CTD you could move by rail so it may be something to do with rail movement after Germany joins the war.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Can you post the contents of Libraries/Documents/My Games/Commander the Great War/ctgw.txt ? Just reproduced it... Seems to be a problem with allowing infantry to offload onto any railroad hex instead of only cities. I might have to remove that newly added feature...
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

And the bugged file just keeps coming back, from nowhere after being deleted. Seems to be gone, for now at least.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

And that is odd about the stock game. I captured Warsaw and destroyed its Infantry, but I was only able to make it to within 2 hexes of Brest-Litovsk, where I established my own solid vertical line of infantry, and had to constantly shift troops around to keep my line from breaking. My German western army got so small that the French remnants retook Paris and I was in retreat there. However, I had destroyed Serbia and was overwhelming Italy with Austrian troops.
Confusedesh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Confusedesh »

DanielHerr wrote:Can you post the contents of Libraries/Documents/My Games/Commander the Great War/ctgw.txt ? Just reproduced it... Seems to be a problem with allowing infantry to offload onto any railroad hex instead of only cities. I might have to remove that newly added feature...
I think your right

This seems to be the problem

[10:42:50][3468]ui/main_hud.lua:368(field HandleMoveOrder) ui/main_hud.lua:368: attempt to index field 'faction' (a nil value)

Could not reproduce the Crash at first then clicked off a railway.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Kirk made me some images for a supply truck, and I have them added. They can be deployed in a capital and offload their cargo at another friendly capital. However, I haven't made them public yet due to the installer not yet knowing how to react when it fails to find a file in the data folder.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

The installer has been patched, but I will wait a day or two so the installer can be updated.

Edit: the installer can now create files in addition to overwriting them.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I added backups of CtGW's data to the mod folder. The installer can now replace the mod files with those original backup files.
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

And, I accidentally deleted the mod files.
danielherr.github.io
Raptor341
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Raptor341 »

Are you still working on this mod? If so, I have some suggestions regarding airpower and would like to work with you on it. I think CTGW is great but after my first MP game I can see where there are some rather large historical inaccuracies that could be fixed by your mod. Mainly, I believe that in order for this game follow a more historical path, air power needs have much less of an effect on the early years (1914-1916). Overall, WW1 was a war of blockade, artillery, and mass production. The way even early war aircraft and airships can change the outcome of battle is vastly overblown. If many ways its as if they took the airpower model from the WW2 game and put it here.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I did manage to find a recent backup of the mod files, and will continue on this mod.

The new mod location is https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... G9OV3FydUk

However, using a mod in multiplayer may qualify as cheating and get you banned.
danielherr.github.io
Schmacki
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Schmacki »

Hi DanielHerr!
I´m interested in playing your mod but how does it work ? I won`t to overwrite my original 1.6.4 patch which I use for MP. As you can see I´m not very used to mods. I normally play games SP and this is my first MP game and also my first forum.
I post this question because I believe there could be others like me.
Best regards
Schmacki
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Just make a copy of your data folder and overwrite it with the mod files. You can switch between vanilla and mod by renaming the two folders, the one simply named "Data" is the one the game will use.
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I didn't upload a backup copy of the mod files as previously thought. Someone who got it before can send them to me, otherwise I will recode the whole thing.
danielherr.github.io
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

I've been reading up on fortifications of the era and it struck me how easy it is currently to invade and swiftly conquer Switzerland and the Netherlands becuase the historical forts are missing.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

I'd be happy to see your mod too especially the part that's needed to show the hex-coordinates while in the game. I've started to heavily mod the game myself and having to look into constructions.lua to get at least the city coordinates everytime is a chore.
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

I'm currently working on totally recreating the installer so that you can choose which changes you want to use.
danielherr.github.io

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”