What I finally ended up going with....nice and vanilla (pic)

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

CutEmUp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

What I finally ended up going with....nice and vanilla (pic)

Post by CutEmUp »

Saxons......shot of completed Garde du Corps included (gonna be a real nice Prussian Landwehr unit popping up on eBay tomorrow too)

Not sure what the big deal is to require a skilled DC, that's the only thing I don't like and wished he was the CC, but I can live with that

Competent Commander - 30

Competent Commander - 30
Small Cuirassiers - 80
Small Garde du Corps - 80

Competent Commander - 30
Small Veteran Chevaux-Legers - 40
Small Veteran Chevaux-Legers - 40

Skilled Commander - 50
Small Light Infantry - 64
Small Line Infantry - 40
Small Line Infantry - 40
Small Horse Artillery - 48

Competent Commander - 30
Small Lieb Grenadier Garde - 68
Small Line Infantry - 40
Small Line Infantry - 40
Small Field Artillery - 40

Last edited by CutEmUp on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
marty
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: What I finally ended up going with....nice and vanilla (

Post by marty »

Is the skilled commander in a 2 unit division so it can flank march?

Martin
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

No, it's a requirement.....you have to have it. There's not much to flank march about with this army....it's a straight up affair I think. I guess if I wanted a flank march I'd put him in the 1st infantry division

There, I switched him....honestly he was on top because as I was typing it in it was the first thing I wrote in
KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM »

Nice figures !!!
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by KendallB »

The skilled DC is probably Thielmann. Use him to brigade group three units.

Unfortunately the 1812 Saxons only get a maximum of three Divisional Commanders - one skilled and two competent. One of them may be a mixed division. Any fourth division has to be Austrian and you lose the guards and heavy cavalry. Strangely enough you don't get an option for a French division as Durutte's 32nd Division (with convicts!) was part of VII Corps.
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

Nope, the errata says 4 now, so thankfully you can't tear this one down

page 60: Kingdom of Saxony (Table)
Divisional Commander: (All - Maximum) REPLACE: “3” with “4”
Divisional Commander: (Competent - Maximum) REPLACE: “2” with “3”

http://www.fieldofglory.com/files/Trium ... 14.12a.pdf
Last edited by CutEmUp on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

KeefM wrote:Nice figures !!!
Thanks.....the lighting sucks though
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

That was nice of Mike to increase the number of generals!

How do you intend to play the light cavalry division? In my experience a division of two small units just mills around and doesn't contribute much.
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

There is no milling around, charge
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

I've found light cavalry is not the greatest for charging. If they charge infantry then the infantry has a good chance of shooting them off. Even if the infantry fail to stop them, the cavalry is not going to make too much of a dent.

They can't stand up to heavy and especially shock cavalry in melee unless they are large of have rear and/or flank support. I think your best method of attack will be to operate the lights with the heavies - use the lights as flank and rear supports while all the fighting is done by the heavies. Lots of your opponents will try to avoid the heavies and having the lights with their extra move range will be very useful - just make sure that they are more than 8MU away from enemy cavalry!
KeefM

Post by KeefM »

Ignore Kendall about small divisions of light cavalry . . . after all, he is the person who conceived and ran a division comprising just two small cossack units !! And very good it was too !

Personally, I am a fan. And I use small divisions of two light cavalry units often - indeed, my 1812 French mix for both the NZ Nationals and the Melbourne competitions this year had such a division (comprising 1 SD and 1 AD unit).

A division of two AV LC units would be even better than my mix for either delaying or attacking as the terrain and opponent permitted. A division like that is just great at helping you to set up the shape of the game. And having the ability to shape the game is invaluable in my view (and also hence my enthusiasm for using Exceptional Corps Commanders !).

But, and FWIW, Kendall is pretty much right on the money about the lack of punch with LC - they are really good for striking from a reasonable distance at an ill-prepared opponent; and really really good at taking advantage of an already weakened opponent; also great in the contact zone for cramping an opponents options; but not quite so good assaulting against any sensible formed infantry in good order. Sometimes, also, you can 'bounce' an unwary or poorly deployed opposing cavalry unit or two cos of the 10MU reach. But, in my LC horde army mix I often found that it was more of a 'dance like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly' mix. Plus, you should think about how they will play when defending - that will require them to fill a different role again.

LC are not at all crash-bash like the shock heavies :-) !!
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

Mr Cut's modus operandi is to charge. Just giving him a heads up that it might not be as he expected with LC. If he could up one to large then that could be useful.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Nice paint job on the Saxon Heavies they look great.

I agree with what has been said above, keep your lights for rear and flank support and send in the shock to do the real dirty work. I've squashed many a French Hussar with my heavy shock. If you can disorder or waver an enemy infantry unit then the 10MU from light cavalry can suddenly come in very handy. Against steady foot, you need lots of luck to take them on and survive.
Good luck with your Saxon Schwerer Blitz Army, just point and charge. Nice and simple for sure.
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

A quick comment from me on your list.

It is a pretty small army, coming in at 24ACV. Most armies I see these days seem to be 28-32 ACV.
So expect to usually be outnumbered.

There are many ways to fight, and much depends on whether you are the attacker (and can dictate the 'shape' of the battle) or the defender (where you may be forced to react to what your opponent does).

In attack: a classic method is to load up with your best troops on one flank of the enemies line, and delay with the rest of your army - an echelon style engagement.
So having an attack force and a delay force in mind would be good preparation. An obvious attack force would be the HC division and your L2 commanders' infantry division. I would swap your guard unit into this division so you have your best infantry, under your best general, hopefully doing most of the fighting. Support your 2 attacking divisions by having your CC hanging around for the extra rally attempt.

This would leave the remaining infantry division to defend and delay, with the LC division as a highly mobile reserve to move as/where required.

In defence: Probably the 2 infantry divisions up, with both cavalry divisions deployed on your baseline so as to move as required once you see where your opponent will attack. Horse artillery is IMO a great reserve when on defence. You can quickly get to where needed. So you might like to consider moving the HA to one of the cavalry divisions, starting the game limber in reserve and moving in your first turn to whichever flank your opponent is placing under most threat.

- Moving the HA to a cavalry division will not hurt when on attack as well. It could either be with the HC, providing them another option if facing infantry squares, or with the LC as part of a mobile fire brigade.

Just my two pennies!

Cheers
Brett
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

BrettPT wrote:In attack: a classic method is to load up with your best troops on one flank of the enemies line, and delay with the rest of your army - an echelon style engagement.
This was my thought.....even oblique attacks too.....it's a trained professional army with veteran bookends

However, I was thinking to have my guard unit spearhead the infantry through the intended schwerepunkt, with the heavies and have the light cavalry off to one flank and the rest of the infantry echelon back on the other. I would rather the light infantry cover the refused flank. However, it would in fact be best to place the HA in with the heavies and I also realized I had an extra ten points....wish I could get a charismatic commander, but seems like a medium artillery attachment to on of the chevauleger units would be a good idea

As for defending.....no thanks, defend to me means let them move a few turns and the attack their weakest hinge.
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

And when I punch through pivot one way with the infantry, one way with the heavys and roll up the line
BrettPT

Post by BrettPT »

Yup, sounds like you have a good plan - although I bolt the artillery attachment onto your Guard unit, or onto a HC unit (the reasoning being to give your key units every advantage they can get).

The reason for having the LI unit operating next to the Guards would be to try and have their 5 medium range dice shooting at whatever target which will be assaulted by your Guard infantry.

So a right-flank attack that looks like:

Line Line Guard LI HC HC

would enable the LI to provide fire and flank support to the guards, or alternatively shoot up enemy infantry that might square up against the HC. It would also give you an option (by forming skirmish formation) to counter any massed enemy artillery your attacking force might run up against.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

What is your army initiative? If its low you are more likely to end up as defender with a competent Corps commander. That means sitting for 2 turns while your opponent chooses when and where to hit. Being a small army you might not have my problem of too many units and no room to move so harder to shift troops to where the hammer is falling.
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

Army initiative is two....but even if I'm defending I'm going to attack anyway, so I have to anticipate and deploy correctly. I'm trying to figure out how I can get the CC up to skilled
CutEmUp

Post by CutEmUp »

deadtorius wrote:shift troops to where the hammer is falling.
Confuscius say why shift troops to where hammer is falling? Why not hit funny bone and make venerable enemy drop hammer?

Return to “Army Design”