War of the World II v1.2 (Jan 2, 2016)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

War of the World II v1.2 (Jan 2, 2016)

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

War of the World II
v1.2 Now Out!

Global Warfare from the invasion of China until August Storm and beyond!
opening.JPG
opening.JPG (147.77 KiB) Viewed 16207 times
Read through the thread to find out more 8)
War of the World 2.PNG
War of the World 2.PNG (27.82 KiB) Viewed 17400 times
###################################################################################

Downloads:

Main mod files v1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?5qy7rhq0rjhboa0

Nazi Flag Add-on (Optional): http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6mij ... _addon.zip
nazi.JPG
nazi.JPG (17.33 KiB) Viewed 16207 times
This add-on is not meant to advocate fascism, nazism or any evil stuff associated with those. I intend it for the sole purpose of historical accuracy. As some may be offended, it is not required as part of the mod
Note that this add-on affects the flag of the British Union in addition to Germany
If you have chosen to download the Nazi Flags for an older version of the mod, it will still be compatible with v1.2!

- BNC
Last edited by BiteNibbleChomp on Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
BiteNibbleChomp

Re: War of the World II

Some screenshots.

European Theatre
_01.JPG
_01.JPG (137.68 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
Japan
_02.JPG
_02.JPG (116.86 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
China
_03.JPG
_03.JPG (162 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Australia
_04.JPG
_04.JPG (84.9 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
US Eastern Seaboard
_05.JPG
_05.JPG (107.69 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
Diplomacy Panel
_06.JPG
_06.JPG (25 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

So, what is War of the World II?

I imagine everyone on this forum is well aware of my 2013 release "War of the World" - which was the first global map every made for Panzer Corps. (viewtopic.php?f=147&t=46533) Although this was a major breakthrough for modding, there were a lot of gaps left in the design (Siberia was completely empty for example), and the attempt to make both sides play the same scenario ended in a very messy attempt at balancing, though I never released the v1.2 patch (so most of this muck has never made it to the official stage).

War of the World II attempts to create a whole new mod, while remaining similar in principle to the 2013 one. Many new features have also been added (or at this stage are still being thought of!) - for instance there will be a new 'diplomacy' section in the game, which allows for all sorts of different situations in the war (What if Germany invaded France through the Maginot Line, or if Japan assisted in Operation Barbarossa). I have also pushed the start date back to 7 July 1937, so more options in China are available (and a 1938 conquest *may* be possible, opening up all sorts of new routes to victory!). Industrial power will also be an important asset - you will need factory units in order to keep your war machine running (each generating a certain amount of PP each turn). Factories will be purchaseable, so you will not only be a general in the field, but a minister in an office, organising all production.

Unlike the famous (and excellent) Battlefield Europe that appeared last year (and which I understand stole a large number of my good ideas), WotW 2 will not follow history exactly. Instead I have allowed far greater freedom in purchase choices (does Germany decide to go ahead with the Z Plan in 1938?), and offensives will not copy history - there will be a chance for D-Day ("Sledgehammer") to occur in 1943. That said, it will certainly be more difficult to achieve complete victory than in WotW 1 - the US Eastern Seaboard will be well defended if you decide to invade in 1944/45.

I have also attempted to clear the map of unnecessary clutter, and have reduced the unit detail considerably (turns are 5 weeks long, and units are Army scale). It seems very unlikely that Japan would have created an armoured formation of 2,000-4,000 tanks using only one model, so I have generalised the units into basic categories such as Improved Light Tank or Turbojet Fighter - allowing people to focus on the grand scheme of the war.

Central to this idea is the removal of airfields from the map. In WotW 2, cities and ports can now reinforce aircraft identically to how airfields do in vanilla Panzer Corps. (I'm assuming every major city has an airfield nearby). Just as cities are necessary for land warfare, it will be important to control ports for naval warfare - a ship will only have a small amount of tiles (probably ~20) that it will be able to travel before it will need to refuel - so Kiel won't be a suitable port for an invasion of South Africa!

The 1937 start date also brings up the challenge of Austria and Czechoslovakia. Basically these annexations will be solved using the diplo panel and events. Around the start of 1938 you will be told that you can declare war ("annex") on Austria, which will immediately added to your empire. Czechoslovakia will be guarded by the USSR, UK, France and Poland until early 1939, so you should not invade until it historically fell. (Czech will lose all of its units this turn, allowing you to conquer it 'peacefully'.) The annexation of the Sudetenland will happen as a message, but will not have any effect (the region is only about 1/6 of a hex!)

- BNC
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Sounds like a nice revamping.
A question: its one sided scenario? or can we play as Allies/Soviets too?.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
BiteNibbleChomp

I'll start off by releasing the Axis side. Eventually the Allies will get a campaign too! :D

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

German Unit Roster:

edit: Image removed.

- BNC
Last edited by BiteNibbleChomp on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiteNibbleChomp

I should add that the German unit roster includes nearly every type of unit that will be present in the mod. Marines will be omitted from it in the release (though they are kept in the files so that it is easier for me to use Germany as a base - Japan and the USA will still have access to them), and the V-weapons may be added.

Major powers such as Italy, Japan, UK, USA and the Soviet Union will have very similar rosters, the main differences being graphics and introduction times (the USSR will get "Basic Medium Tank" [IS-1] in 1943, whereas Germany gets it [Tiger I], in late 1942) - mostly to show the different doctrines of each power. Each unit in a class (such as the IS-1 and Tiger I), will have identical stats (mostly for balance), and nearly all sensible upgrades will be done at reduced cost. For instance:

Basic SPAT > Improved SPAT > Advanced SPAT,
but not
Basic SPAT > Improved AT.

MBTs will probably be the final stage of the Medium Tank line. Landships will not be upgradeable (and probably not purchaseable due to their insane stats)

Also, the A-Bomb will be included, probably as a gift if you can capture Oak Ridge by early 1945, but will not be purchaseable or attachable to a V2. The USA *may* be able to buy them from Jul. 1945 -> I have yet to finalise this.

- BNC
lsnoop
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by lsnoop »

How does diplomacy panel work and what is it for?
BiteNibbleChomp

Eventually some units will be placed in the diplo panel (which cannot be accessed by outsiders), which are going to act as diplomats. If you decide to declare war on a nation, move a diplomat over their flag and war will be declared immediately. This will remove some neutral areas from the map, allowing you to invade the country.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Had a blue screen of death damage my files for this mod today :cry: .

Most of it was recovered (including the all-important map file), but I can't guarantee that anything from the above screenshots will be exactly the same in the mod - I have to rebuild a whole heap of things.

Flags (so you know all nations in the mod):
Wotw2 flags.png
Wotw2 flags.png (175.45 KiB) Viewed 16951 times
- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

WotW2 VC.JPG
WotW2 VC.JPG (77.44 KiB) Viewed 16891 times
- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Strategic map decided to work today:
WotW2 strat map.JPG
WotW2 strat map.JPG (50.26 KiB) Viewed 16779 times
It's lonely out here...

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Convoys. (Blue Line going across the oceans)
Possible German Plans to attack the routes.
Possible German Plans to attack the routes.
_01.JPG (102.92 KiB) Viewed 16762 times
It's a global map, so what are the other Axis Powers going to do?
It's a global map, so what are the other Axis Powers going to do?
_02.JPG (64.97 KiB) Viewed 16762 times
- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

I've managed to fix the mod up to the state it was in 6 weeks ago, so the invasion of China can now begin!
china.JPG
china.JPG (181.78 KiB) Viewed 16480 times
Veterans of the Mongol mod or my Tsingtao battle in Kaiserschlacht will know that this is not an easy theatre to take over!

- BNC
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

I tried the WW1 grand campaign and lost track of what I was doing by about Turn 4, so I probably won't be much more successful with this one, even though the effort and ambition are impressive.

Ah well, with the Xmas shutdown coming up rainy days = alternate Mongols and updating my own mod.
Last edited by captainjack on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:German Unit Roster:
untitled.JPG
- BNC

soom nice counters in here :wink:
BiteNibbleChomp

zakblood_slith wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:German Unit Roster:
untitled.JPG
- BNC

soom nice counters in here :wink:
I'll admit some of them won't be in the release. I lost a heap of work in October and only the scenario itself was spared from my PC break down. So I have made some "adjustments" to the mod since those screens, most notably the replacement of the Kaiserreich flag with something more era appropriate (I have made a Swastika version of this as well but am unlikely to release that one)
captainjack wrote:I tried the WW1 grand campaign and lost track of what I was doing by about Turn 4, so I probably won't be much more successful with this one, even though the effort and ambition are impressive.

Ah well, with the Xmas shutdown coming up rainy days = alternate Mongols and updating my own mod.
Turn 4 is only October 1937, so I don't think you'll lose track of the mod that quickly. :lol: About ambition, I'm not strecthing the game much further than WotW1 did, so its nothing new to work with.

- BNC
truth80
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by truth80 »

I have one word to this mod: Wow!

Although I prefer the smaller and detailed battles, it´s very very promising. For sure I have to try it :)
BiteNibbleChomp

truth80 wrote:I have one word to this mod: Wow!

Although I prefer the smaller and detailed battles, it´s very very promising. For sure I have to try it :)
China's big and not very detailed (mostly due to the Army-scale of units), but here's another screenshot anyway :D .

April 1938:
china2.JPG
china2.JPG (163.39 KiB) Viewed 16418 times
For those who are wondering, two Graf Zeppelin-class carriers have been completed, Industrial production reached 550 pp/turn and Germany's army is two and a half times the size it was in July 1937! This save game won't be completed any further though - the events in it only last until about turn 10.

- BNC

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”