Heroes of Normandie Patch 1.06

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heroes of Normandie Patch 1.06

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

the first patch is out now. It includes a number of bug fixes, sorts out the issues with logging in to multiplayer and adds a new play mode. The original dice rolling model is now renamed Iron man mode. You can turn this on in the options but it is off by default. There is a new random generator that will make it easier for new players to get to grips with the rules before they put themselves at the will of the dice gods!

Check for updates to get the latest version.

1.06 Change Log
* Fixed a bug that prevented the correct display of the leaderboard.
* Fixed a bug that caused the system to call the multiplayer server too often and bring down the servers. It also prevented logging in for some users.
* On the game launcher there is a Settings button. This lets you select your resolution and should resolve any 21:9 resolution issues.
* Some external game controllers were causing issues and creating odd mouse input commands. We've improved this so less users are affected but let us know if it still affects you.
* You can now scroll diagonally with the keyboard controls.
* All skirmish maps are unlocked from the start.
* Fixed an AI bug that caused the game to lockup/freeze.
* Fixed a bug in the appearance of the German Fire Unit’
* It now auto saved in skirmish mode
* added IronMan Mode, and defaulted to having it off. Players should not experience runs of bad luck as the chance of this happening has been vastly reduced.

The team are still working hard on a range of improvements so keep your feedback coming. We're especially interested to hear what you think about the new dice rolling system. Enjoy the game!

You can also manually download the update from any of the following mirrors:

http://ftp.eu.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v106.zip
http://ftp.ca.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v106.zip
http://ftp.us.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v106.zip
fritzjoel
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Heroes of Normandie Patch 1.06

Post by fritzjoel »

Will the patch be available as a separate download?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes any time now
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

giffin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by giffin »

Game runs great and die rolls seem fair. Love the game and keep the upgrades coming!!!
klkitchens
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by klkitchens »

IainMcNeil wrote:* added IronMan Mode, and defaulted to having it off. Players should not experience runs of bad luck as the chance of this happening has been vastly reduced.
Horrible decision that I hope will be corrected.

Random 1-6 die rolls should be the normal default mode. That's how the game is played and seemed to be how the HoN digital was doing it (i got bad rolls sure, but I got good rolls too). 1-6 is 1-6. Period.

If you wanted a special mode you should have added "Wuss Mode" or something else "Easy" or whatever. Let people turn it on if they think the game is too tough in normal mode.

But you're signalling that the "Iron Mode" is somehow tougher than normal, when in fact, it is the normal, realistic mode.

FIX THIS.

Don't get me wrong, thanks for the patch. But the dire problem with computer games these days is the "dumbing down" of them primarily for console players. If people don't understand probability, they can turn on easy mode.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are not happy but this is not a bug, it is a design choice. For new users it makes a lot more sense to ease them in. It makes no sense to have the game too hard and require people to turn it down. It makes much more sense to have experienced player select an option to make it more challenging. I understand its not an option you plan to sue but you must see that as a game that has to appeal to newcomers and experienced gamer's it makes sense to err on the side of the newcomer. It is not about dumbing down, it is about letting people play the way they want. Anyone who ignores this wont be in business for long. If you want to see this series supported and the developer prosper you need to support initiatives like this not fight them.
klkitchens

Post by klkitchens »

IainMcNeil wrote:Sorry you are not happy but this is not a bug, it is a design choice. For new users it makes a lot more sense to ease them in. It makes no sense to have the game too hard and require people to turn it down. It makes much more sense to have experienced player select an option to make it more challenging. I understand its not an option you plan to sue but you must see that as a game that has to appeal to newcomers and experienced gamer's it makes sense to err on the side of the newcomer. It is not about dumbing down, it is about letting people play the way they want. Anyone who ignores this wont be in business for long. If you want to see this series supported and the developer prosper you need to support initiatives like this not fight them.
You're incorrect.

If you were doing simple 1-6 random in the normal mode than that is the correct way. That's how dice work. Making an "I'm too dumb to understand die rollings" is dumbing down the game, without dispute.

It's simply a matter of presentation. Change the default mode to normal purely random mode. Change the option to say "Easy Mode" and click it ON when the game is installed (so you get it initially on to "easy players in". In the tutorial explain to users that easy mode is on and if they prefer true dice rolling they can turn it off.

If you don't, you're MORE LIKELY to lose support. I never get a game and turn ON "Nightmare Mode" or "Ironman Mode" -- I play it in normal mode. I don't put it on easy either when there is that option. Most people are never going to turn on the horrible switch you have now, and then they will find the game "TOO EASY" and abandon it. But they will, if they have the option and think the game is too easy turn off easy mode -- like taking the training wheels off a bike. The feel they are ready for the normal mode.

Besides "Ironman Mode" means something else entirely in games. Typically it means no-saving, you start with a character and play until he dies. "Nightmare" or "Expert" modes normally indicate some level of artificial enhancement to make the game tougher THAN NORMAL.

In this case "Ironman Mode" = "Normal Mode".

People will complain about die rolls and randomness in games until the end of time. But it never makes it wrong. It is what it is. You've failed by catering to their nonsense.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I understand you like it the way it is, but surely you must understand that if some simple changes can be made to make it appeal to other people, without changing your enjoyment at all, it would be stupid not to?

Remember when people learn a board game it is a communal activity, usually with someone who already knows it. When playing a computer game you are on your own. You need a way to ease in to it. When you first start you know nothing and play badly. Unless it is a very badly designed game you will get better as you go. As players improve as they go the challenge has to increase to. If the challenge is too high players give up. If too low players get bored.

If you do some research on game flow you'll find this the ultimate aim of any game experience (its the one more turn feeling). It pitches the level of ability with the level of challenge and is something a game designer is always aiming for.

Iron man mode means a different thing in pretty much every game it is used in and the only thing they all have in common is that they make the game harder. The description makes it clear if you look in game.

As I've said elsewhere this is a temporary fix until we have real difficulty levels to help ease people in. The kind of user that finds things too easy is much more likely to turn things up than the kind of user who finds things hard is to turn it down. User that find it too hard will most likely give up. Also it is far less of an issue to find a game initially too easy than too hard.
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

I think the point that klkitchens is trying to make is that it's all in the presentation.

Calling the normal dice 'Ironman mode' somehow implies that it is an increased difficulty or some other handicap to the player. So regardless of which setting is default, having them billed as 'Standard dice' vs 'Low luck dice' or something might be a better alternative.

He is correct in that most people will play on 'normal' mode after learning the game and I think that that should probably be the standard dice as well.

In the end, if this is just a temporary 'fix' until difficulty levels come in it's probably not worth a change but when considering the final, I agree that however it shakes out, 'normal dice' should be the 'standard' difficulty level.
nucleus

Post by nucleus »

Unfortunately the patch adds a bug.

Completing any mission in Rogue Mode causes program lockup, you get stuck at a background screen (Panzers in a garage?) with an empty text bar. No action is possible.
Waltero
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Waltero »

Hello, thanks for the latest patch (1.11), except I don't have it yet :(
Is there another place I can go to load it?

When I try to load the patch I get an error: an error occurred trying to open an FTP file.

What to do, what to do?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Waltero wrote:Hello, thanks for the latest patch (1.11), except I don't have it yet :(
Is there another place I can go to load it?

When I try to load the patch I get an error: an error occurred trying to open an FTP file.

What to do, what to do?
Download from any of the following mirrors:

http://ftp.eu.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v111.zip
http://ftp.us.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v111.zip
http://ftp.ca.matrixgames.com/pub/Heroe ... p-v111.zip

Unzip and run the extracted file to update the game.
klkitchens

Post by klkitchens »

New levels are a much better way of scaling difficulty. Thank you for listening.

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”