How to paint the black skin ?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

nicofig
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

How to paint the black skin ?

Post by nicofig »

HI,
my question is in the title :wink: Could you tell me the colours you use for the black skin in 15 mm ?
Thank you
:D
Last edited by nicofig on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
richnz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by richnz »

Using gamesworkshop colours I have used:

black undercoat
scorched brown
bestial brown
watered down black ink wash
nicofig
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nicofig »

Have you got some pictures ? :D
ImageImage
Kineas1

Post by Kineas1 »

Depends on what colour fo black skin you want--Masai are not the same colour as northern Berbers.

For Northern Africans and some Indians, I paint Vallejo SS Dark Brown camo first, then scorched brown as above, and then highlight with scorched brown cut with a flesh colour, or even with an ivory. remember, theres a set of highlights on any colour skin in sunlight that renders it very similar in colour at a distance...

Or use the foundry paint set dark flesh range, but undercoat really dark before you do!
meledward23
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by meledward23 »

When I did my Berber's sometime ago I started with a white base prime. Then I went up with a flesh color, I cant recall which exactly but a pink/cream flesh. Then I washed with a thin black wash. Then washed it with a heaver dark brown wash. I had a little to much red in my brown, but overall they came out pretty nice. I think in some cases, I may have double washed with the brown.

Obviously test on a few figs.

My current methods for this type stuff (my amatuer techniques to help out people new to painting)
1) I bought little paint pots from michaels. Snap tops, plastic, pack of 12 for about $1.29 (or it could have been Hobby Lobby).

2) I make my inks sometimes from paint, sometimes from inks. Mixing in water and Future till I get a consistency that flows well and gives the desired effect. I mix a full pot, so there is enough to do a batch of figures.

Using little paint pots and eye droppers (for measuring out liquids and adding small amounts of Future) has really helped me with painting.
Landsknecht
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Landsknecht »

If you are going for a Central or Southern African skin color, you can mix black with purple as the base coat and then dry brush different shades of brown. I learned this when I had painted a Zulu army many years ego.
Brainsnaffler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Brainsnaffler »

For my numidians, I did under coat Black, base coat GW Graveyard Earth, and then highlighted by gradually adding white to the mix and drybrushing it on.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Numdian Skin Color

Post by berthier »

For my Numidians, I used a black undercoat and then dry brushed the skin with DeltaCeramcoat Spice Brown (020459). You can pick it up at Walmart, Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Look in the craft paint section.

Christopher "the Tasty Numidian" Anders
stork
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by stork »

Not certain what paints you are useing but for Vallejo this is a fantastic referance and excelant for other paints as a referance

http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/go/ ... hp/aid/310?

hope the link comes throught

Kevin S
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Numdian Skin Color

Post by Strategos69 »

berthier wrote:For my Numidians, I used a black undercoat and then dry brushed the skin with DeltaCeramcoat Spice Brown (020459). You can pick it up at Walmart, Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Look in the craft paint section.

Christopher "the Tasty Numidian" Anders
I made the same mistake and thought Numidians were black people, but I have been seduced by new representations that depict them as actual Algerian people (tanned skin). If black, they would have been told to be Nubian.

Anyway, concerning the question, I would not use black (already done and I don't like the result), even as an undercoat. That gets the face of the miniature too dark and the details vanish in 15mm. I would use Brown (GW Leather Brown), sometimes mixed with Flesh (Bronzed Flesh). I will explain the technique I use to paint, involving asphalt? (betún de judea in Spanish) in a later post. Combined with brown it creates some shadows.

PS: nico, I think I passed you some photos of my Carthaginians where you can see the results
Probert
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Probert »

For 15mm I keep it real simple. One color coat and a wash. For my Numidians I used GW Bestial Brown with a light black ink wash, for Nilotic black Africans I would use a very dark brown (something like Vallejo 822) with a black wash. For Bantu or other east African types I would use GW Dark Flesh with a black wash.
Later Carthaginians (853 pts)
Medieval Swedish (591 pts)
Later Achm'd Persian (424 pts)
lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Numdian Skin Color

Post by lawrenceg »

Strategos69 wrote:[

I made the same mistake and thought Numidians were black people, but I have been seduced by new representations that depict them as actual Algerian people (tanned skin). If black, they would have been told to be Nubian.
That's right: all peoples living around the mediterranean looked (and largely still look) pretty much the same, with the possible exception of Gauls. Any variations are mainly due to the levels of exposure of individuals to the sun.
Lawrence Greaves

Return to “Modelling”