Favorite tank topic

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Favorite tank topic

Post by goose_2 »

This topic is coming up because I have been promoted/demoted from my Pz 1a to a recon and will be stuck in this on my post ranking for quite a while because i am not going to spam post on these threads.

I know this will probably be Tiger for most people, but I have a strange reason for picking my favorite tanks.

It would be easy to pick some of the later tanks for any army, but it is the early lighter tanks that hold a greater fascination for me.

PZ 1a and 1b would be easy and it was a great place to start, but i am mostly fascinated by the PZ2 variants because they continued to modify these tanks and added stuff on top of the framework of this 1st upgrade from the Pz1 and it is these varied and creative ways that the Germans took an outmoded tank and made them deadly and relevent.

Please provide your thoughts on this topic.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Favorite tank topic

Post by proline »

The best tank in the game is in fact not the tiger but the PzII Flamm. Similar to a pioneer unit they destroy forts and ignore entrenchment. Unlike pioneers, they are far more mobile and thus easier to safely get attacks with. They cost only slightly more than a pioneer with a transport, but hit far, far harder. With a RoF of 14, they can often one-shot enemy infantry and towed artillery. Over strength them to 13 and they get a whopping 18 attacks! Watching them broil a 10 strength Guards 43 infantry unit with 7 entrenchment is a sight to behold.

Sure, they have their flaws- you have to keep them away from tanks and anti-tanks as well as tac bombers, but for smashing soft targets they have no match (except for the crocodile). I run with three on the eastern campaign, and they always lead my army in terms of kills and kills/loses. They fly through the experience stars as well.

Obviously a direct comparison to the tiger would be silly as their role is totally different, but let me say that they tiger costs you a ton of money- it costs more to buy in the first place, every point of replacements costs a fortune, and you take a huge cap hit for owning it. The Flamm is just a really imba unit that doesn't have any cost drawbacks at all.
Scholomancer
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Scholomancer »

I'm actually a huge fan of the early Allied tanks you can capture in GC40 and GC41E - the two Matilda and the two CharBs. They are slow, but big and tough for their time, and they are great in certain situations.

In particular I find they work very well as second-line tanks, moving with and supporting the slower infantry and artillery. They free up your German and Russian tanks for the faster moving battlegroups or pincers. I don't remember them being too much of a drain on your prestige either.

I use the Matildas into '42 and the CharBs almost to Kursk before upgrading into Panthers and Tigers. The upgrade into a new tech tree is expensive, but you carry the exp and heroes over.

Tigers, Panthers, and their Jagd- and King- variants are great, but honestly their size and power can really.. ruin? make too easy?. the game, especially on the GCW DLCs.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Allied: Churchill Croc - excellent armour, tolerable SA and HA and 140% RoF. Suppress pretty much any soft unit and as if by magic you suddenly have an empty hex.
Since you will have a ton of prestige by then, you can overstrength to the max (and if you have a decent defence hero of say +4 you may well keep the overstrength in many games) and blast away with 18 to 21 attacks per turn. Awesome.

German:
I like the Char 1 early on for decent armour and good soft attack which makes it great for anti-infantry duties (and other soft targets) up to around mid 42. Then the better armoured KV1s take over the job while the 3 or 4* Chars either get upgraded into Panthers or Tigers or wait in reserve until I need a 3 or 4* tank in a hurry. By this time the anti armour performance of the KV1s is a bit feeble so the switch to anti-soft targets is a good use.

I sometimes use a Flammpanzer III (the original publicly available modded unit) which has much better armour than the Flammpanzer 2. It is good, but a bit slow and can have a bad day if it runs into more than one t34/43 or a T34/85.

I'm currently playing 44 West I am rather enjoying the Tiger 2, though I do have a fair mix of Tigers and Panthers and a firefly which are all useful, but the Tiger 2 is currently the best unless you need to get somewhere in a hurry.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

I'm not sure if WWI tanks count but if not - MAUS! A fleet of Mause is powerful enough to take on at least a Pershing, possibly a Patton!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

My favorite is the Panzer III. Playing the GC I like to see the Panzer III develop from the E model up to the Panzer III M, that can still stand up to the Soviet tanks in '43 providing heroes and experience of course. And the variations (similar to the Pz II and IV): Marder III, the Sturmgeschütz III and the Sturmhaubitze 42. And the III/IV hybrid Panzerhaubitze Hummel. For me the Panzer IV development is also great. It's my #2.

There are better tanks, of course, but the thread title reads "favorite", not "best". :wink:
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
BiteNibbleChomp

goose_2 wrote:This topic is coming up because I have been promoted/demoted from my Pz 1a to a recon and will be stuck in this on my post ranking for quite a while because i am not going to spam post on these threads.
At either 25 or 30 posts you will be upgraded, so no spamming is needed. Just a week of discussion :D .

Also, your PzII idea raises some interesting points. Have you heard of the Schwimmpanzer II ?

- BNC
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Also, your PzII idea raises some interesting points. Have you heard of the Schwimmpanzer II ?

- BNC
No I have not. It sounds like it would help the Germans out immensely in invading England.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I really like where this topic is taking people.

I was actually talking historically, but you all have taken it in terms of the game which gives me some great insights I did not have about the game. Thanks for the great feedback and discussion.

Let's keep this going.
goose_2

proline

Post by proline »

I see nobody has commented on Russian tanks, probably because there is no USSR campaign (hopefully that is still happening). I bet if Soviet Corps comes out the T-34 family could easily become my favorite- cheap, fast, huge fuel, and a rich upgrade path that eventually gives a tank you can get in '41 an attack of 17!
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I've probably mentioned previously that I have an unexplained liking for the Panzer II from way before I'd ever heard of Panzer Corps.
I also like the BT tanks - excellent for their time, and if better used they might well have earned a reputation close to that of the T34.

And of course, all the ridiculous multi-turreted heavy tanks have a strange appeal, even if they were rather disappointing in practice.
JimmyC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by JimmyC »

I'm a big fan of the Panzer IV. They have a great upgrade path and as they are available very early on and still useful much later in the war, it leads to them seeming to develop their own character or personality of their own as you take them from campaign to campaign. I think only the Panzer III is similar in this respect, however as it becomes obsolete earlier, the Panzer IV wins it for me. For late war tanks the Panther is the winner for me, due to its flexibility. I also like its look better than the Tiger, which i consider too boxy looking and not streamlined enough (from an aesthetic viewpoint).
BiteNibbleChomp

goose_2 wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Also, your PzII idea raises some interesting points. Have you heard of the Schwimmpanzer II ?

- BNC
No I have not. It sounds like it would help the Germans out immensely in invading England.
Basically it was a variant of the PzIId that was supposed to be able to 'swim' a few kms of water similar to a river (or the channel!). This was done by making the tank watertight and then attaching 2 massive empty boxes to it to make it float.

About 50 Panzers were converted to 'Schwimm' use, but had Seelowe gone ahead and a few hundred more tanks had been made, then Churchill could have been in trouble!
proline wrote:I see nobody has commented on Russian tanks, probably because there is no USSR campaign (hopefully that is still happening). I bet if Soviet Corps comes out the T-34 family could easily become my favorite- cheap, fast, huge fuel, and a rich upgrade path that eventually gives a tank you can get in '41 an attack of 17!
I thought this was a topic about German tanks, but the Soviet IS-3 is pretty cool [even if just outside our time period]

- BNC
Scholomancer
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Scholomancer »

captainjack wrote:
And of course, all the ridiculous multi-turreted heavy tanks have a strange appeal, even if they were rather disappointing in practice.
Lol yes! I want Soviet Corps (if it ever came out) to have T-28s! It's like the CharB of the Russian army.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

With this post I finally get my favorite tank as an icon, the Pz2.
My appreciation for the Panzer 2 has gone up by leaps and bounds ever since I put Heinz Rondorf in one.
Deadly and effective. :lol: :P 8)
goose_2

vindy45
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by vindy45 »

Love the flame as it envelopes the target for the PzII Flamm, but the sound of any 88 firing is music to my ears. However, the PZ IVH with its skirts is beauty at its finest.
wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr »

A late year model four or five star Panther, especially with some (defensive) heroes, as it hits hard, is resistant to artillery barrages and has unmatched mobility. Gets all over the map, especially as fire brigade.
The most beautiful too, especially the Jagdpanther variant, whose hard cold steel I held in my hands when at the US Army Ordnance Museum in MD (now in VA).

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/ ... anther.jpg
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

With this post I get another tank Icon.

The Pz3L.

What does everyone think is the best Panzer 3 model?
Pz3E because it is the cheapest and first?
Pz3H because it is the 1st decent upgrade?
Pz3L because it has a minimal air defense?
Pz3N because it is good in and out of close terrain?

I like Pz3n's ability to fight in the city so that is my pick today.

Stay Lutheran My Friends ;-)
goose_2

alkafluence
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by alkafluence »

Panzer 3N sported the short barreled 7.5 cm KwK 37 L/24 gun that was originally on the early Panzer 4 in an infantry support role. If I had to pick a Panzer 3, I'd probably favor the 3M which had the same Shurzen side panel armor as the N, but had the 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 long-barrel.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Does the game have a Panzer 3M?

I thought the highest it went was 3N.
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps”