Consistent Crashing

Malformata
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Consistent Crashing

Post by Malformata »

I've been experiencing crashes consistently while playing Star Hammer. I was able to proceed through the first two campaign missions, but I am unable to get through third without a crash. I've attached DxDiag and Star Hammer log.
Attachments
Star-Hammer_Crash_output_log.7z
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
DxDiag.7z
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Re: Consistent Crashing

Post by blacklab »

Hi Malformata,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having, lets see if we can get that sorted out. Based on the log file there are two possibilities as to the problem that I can think of at the moment.

First is an installation issue. In steam, can you go to the game in your library, right click on Star Hammer in your game list, choose Properties. From the popup windows, choose the Local Files tab and then "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...".

Second, could you try a skirmish battle? I'm wondering if there is something about the enemies that might be causing an issue, and a skirmish battle will test that.

Cheers, Paul
Paul Turbett - Game Director - Black Lab Games
twitter.com/blacklabgames
Malformata

Post by Malformata »

Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

I verified the integrity of the game cache- no problems were found. I then played the skirmish battle "8 days ago"; it worked just fine. I was able to complete the mission with no problems.

Best to you,
Jason
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant try a "mission simulator" skirmish. The point in the campaign where you are experiencing difficulties is were the nautilids are introduced. The "mission simulator" skirmish will test that. If you can get into a skirmish battle with nautlidids successfully, then it's something else.

Cheers, Paul
Malformata

Post by Malformata »

Paul,

That's okay, I actually understood what you meant, but I had the mission name wrong. Unfortunately, however, I'm unable to select "Second Contact" (the mission I'm currently on in the campaign) in the "mission simulator" menu. I'm not sure if it helps, but I did try "battle training" and had the simulator drop a random number of enemy ships in. I played for nearly twenty minutes before they wiped me out. Honestly, I can't remember how long it's been before the crash, but this seemed longer than usual.

Thanks again for all your help.

-jason
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

My brain isn't working to well at the moment, I actually meant to try battle training, not mission simulator, so thanks for that. If you got through that, then something else is going on.

Can I ask you to locate and send me some files? Do a search on your computer for files with the extension "*.shsave ", then zip them and post here? (They won't contain any personal data, just game state)

They will be in your Steam installation folder somewhere, but the location varies because of how Cloud Save works. Something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<steam_id>\337680\remote ( <steam_id> will be a long number)

I suspect that maybe the save game is corrupt, so I'd like to check it.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers, Paul
Malformata

Post by Malformata »

Paul,

No problem at all, I suspected that the battle training would be instructive. I've included the files you asked for- interested to hear what your response is, as I had considered just starting a new campaign. I would point out, though, that I restarted the campaign when crashes like this occurred on an earlier mission.

Best to you,
Jason
Attachments
shsave.7z
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

Thanks Jason

I tested the save files on my development PC and they worked perfectly. i.e. I could play the second contact mission. So that's not the issue. The last section of the log file indicates that the crash is caused by something in the heart of the game engine (Unity). Normally we'd say things like update your drivers, but I can tell from the dxdiag log that you've already done that. Which graphics options are using using (Fast, Medium or High)? (From the main menu, Options->Graphics Options). It might be worthwhile trying the different options to see if we can get a clue as to whether it's a graphics option conflict or something else. Also try lower screen resolution, to see if that helps.

Cheers, Paul
Malformata

Post by Malformata »

Alright, Paul, I've done as you asked. I left the game at the same resolution (2560x1440) that I had been running it at and then went through the graphics options, lowering them each time. Curiously, crashes seemed to come more quickly as I lowered the graphics settings. Ultimately, lowering the graphics setting did not fix the issue. However, I then raised the graphics back to High and lowered the resolution to 1920x1080. After doing so I was able to complete the mission without any errors. I don't have any more time this evening to continue playing beyond this quick test, but I will return here and let you know if I experience any crashes at these new settings as I continue through the campaign. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you determine what is going on; I'm happy to help.

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the fun game too.

Best to you,
Jason
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

Thanks for doing those tests and for letting me know the outcome. I'm glad it's working at the lower resolution (and a bit disappointed at the same time that it failed to begin with). If you have any further issues, please let me know.

Cheers, Paul

Return to “Star Hammer: Tech Support”